Fertilizer prior to rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I am a little behind on getting fertilizer out and was hoping to today. Weather man is calling for 2 inches of rain total over a 2.5 day period. Would most recommend continuing with fertilizing plans or would I be washing my money downstream. Thanks in advance.

I like to do it just before and use my pasture renovator to cut slices in the sod in contour rows to catch the water and fert. as the rain falls. If I had my drathers, and had a special order it would be about a 3 day drizzle......but what we get this time of year is a 4 inch per hour rate spike lasting 15 minutes or so as the front passes through. But that's better than none.

Thanks for the opinions. I went ahead and spread today. Now maybe we can get some alternating rain and sunshine.

got 11 ton spread today.. got into a little bit of rain for the last hour but the buggy had a tarp on it.

northcreek":3f9rk17k said:
I am a little behind on getting fertilizer out and was hoping to today. Weather man is calling for 2 inches of rain total over a 2.5 day period. Would most recommend continuing with fertilizing plans or would I be washing my money downstream. Thanks in advance.

Depends on slope and fertilitzer type and plant type and soil type.

N can easily end up below the root zone of some plants. That is one reason why they reccomend split N applications on corn.

Latest posts