Wildflowers... How?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Wildflowers... How?

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

We have an area that is sloped, about 70 yards long and 10-15 yards deep. We seeded it couple years ago and the grass isn't pretty, its bumpy as a washboard, AND extremely dangerous for us to mow on. I don't let my teenage boys mow it. So, I thought...Kill it, till it, seed it with wild flowers.

I am slightly worried about using roundup to kill the lawn and then planting seeds. Would it be better to burn this area, then till? I COULD use roundup but I am wanting to get these seeds in, sooner than later and worry roundup may deter or kill any germination of some of these mixes.

I know a bit off topic but I figure this would be the place to ask... I am also open to other suggestions.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Re: Wildflowers... How?

Postby bird dog » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 am

Roundup only kills what it touches. It has no soil residual. Saying that, one problem you may have after getting it smooth is keeping it that way due to erosion if you get a big rain before your seed gets going.

You might want to consider those erosion mats that have grass seed mixed in with them. The highway department uses a bunch of them for areas such as yours. Some of the seed distributors have them.
Good luck.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm

wild flowers also are not going to compete long term with the grasses and weeds.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

pdfangus wrote:wild flowers also are not going to compete long term with the grasses and weeds.

I wouldn't try telling that to TxDot. The mix they use here comes back year after year and there are very few weeds. I dunno exactly what's in it, but among others, I see Black eyed Susans, some kind of red blooming clover, what looks like Indian Paint Brush, Blue Bonnets, and some bluish looking flowers, which I thinmk are Blue Bells. They only mow x1/year in front of my property and only after the last of the wildflowers have bloomed and dried. (maybe twice if it's a wet summer)
(bahia grows naturally here..nothing crowds it out but it will get along with wildflowers fine)

New England of course, will likely be different.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:50 pm

greybeard wrote:New England of course, will likely be different.

Nebraska :)

My “plan” from what I’ve read up on, is to kill, till, spread seed, use roller to compact but not bury, then do a light hay over it to help with erosion.

For Wildflowers, you cut in the fall which helps reseed for next year. I am purchasing a good quality, weed seed free (for most part), wild flower mix for my region.

This area is such an eye sore to me.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 pm

oops..sorry. No offense intended.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:02 pm

greybeard wrote:oops..sorry. No offense intended.

My mind keeps thinking New England as well.. Keep having to correct myself.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:14 pm

I'd spray it with roundup then let it die good then till and sow the seed, scratch in and spray with something like Treflan or some other pre-emergent that will inhibit grasses (read label) and then water in and if you got some straw toss that over it lightly and you should be golden.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:40 am

NEFarmwife wrote: I don't let my teenage boys mow it.

And people wonder why generation snowflake. I had city cousins from out east who's mother would've wrapped 'em
in bubble wrap when they would come to visit if she could. Always wondered how stupid they were to need such over protection from the world by their mom. Now I've got a niece that's a germaphope and treats her 4 kids like glass.
Broken bones build character.

Capitalizing both the N and E usually makes people think New England instead of the Ne abbreviation for Nebraska.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:37 am

Have you ever rode a zero turn on a 90 degree hill, next to hot fence? I’ve gotten the joy of that fence more than a time or two, since those scraping lots like to go under the fence and cause erosion.

My boys cut trees, fix fence, push calves, sort cows, drive planters, and operate grain carts. They even have death defying dirt bikes that make me shriek... as they jump manure piles.

But I’ll be darned if they lose themselves on a lawn mower, rolling down hill. We had to turn the safety off on seat because I’m too light for it.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 am

Jogeephus wrote:I'd spray it with roundup then let it die good then till and sow the seed, scratch in and spray with something like Treflan or some other pre-emergent that will inhibit grasses (read label) and then water in and if you got some straw toss that over it lightly and you should be golden.

I definitely think grinding some straw will help.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am

Do you understand that 90 degrees (right angle) is a wall and not a hill or do you make of habit of exaggerating the
dangers of life to your children too? Teenage boys helping Mom sort cows or making her shriek riding a bike through
a cow pie? I don't mean to be a jerk, but seems you Might Be under rating their capabilities.
The idea that you'd lose one (might die) doing a task that's OK for Mom to do, but not them certainly signals an overly protective mommy raising wildflowers and not future husbands for some poor girl one day.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:08 am

I think she was referring to compost piles Son of Butch.
0 x

Covet Not!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 am

greybeard wrote:I think she was referring to compost piles Son of Butch.

Correct. When we scrape the pens into one big pile of manure before it’s loaded to be hauled to a field for fertilizer.

They aren’t “cow pies”. The boys catch air.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am

Son of Butch wrote:Do you understand that 90 degrees (right angle) is a wall and not a hill or do you make of habit of exaggerating the
dangers of life to your children too? Teenage boys helping Mom sort cows or making her shriek riding a bike through
a cow pie? I don't mean to be a jerk, but seems you Might Be under rating their capabilities.
The idea that you'd lose one (might die) doing a task that's OK for Mom to do, but not them certainly signals an overly protective mommy raising wildflowers and not future husbands for some poor girl one day.

90 degrees is to bring my point across, which you are so feverent in attacking and being a total butt about. I’m extremely proud of my kids. I do not allow them to mow that area because I am a mother and there is a deep concern for their safety. I’m not sure who made YOU the police on parenting... but I did not come here seeking advice on that matter.

So, buzz off?
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”