How to price beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":20lu2qen said:
Clod Hopper":20lu2qen said:
Ok I see how you got 5.29 now I didn't take the second 60% for cut out. Thanks I am just learning. I feel like my price is fair. Yes I got a premium but I marketed cut beef not live steers. I am trying to get more than live steer price. I checked on hamburger prices and I saw $5 and more so I sure don't think they were cheated. They got all their premium cuts for the same price.
you didn't cheat anyone, that was a fair price.
Unless the animal was USDA inspected (unlikely at only $321 for processing) It Is illegal for a producer to sell cut beef
without usda inspection.

Son of Butch":213s41b0 said:
ddd75":213s41b0 said:
Clod Hopper":213s41b0 said:
Ok I see how you got 5.29 now I didn't take the second 60% for cut out. Thanks I am just learning. I feel like my price is fair. Yes I got a premium but I marketed cut beef not live steers. I am trying to get more than live steer price. I checked on hamburger prices and I saw $5 and more so I sure don't think they were cheated. They got all their premium cuts for the same price.
you didn't cheat anyone, that was a fair price.
Unless the animal was USDA inspected (unlikely at only $321 for processing) It Is illegal for a producer to sell cut beef
without usda inspection.

Even if you sell it under the pretense of "not for human consumption" The all natural goat and cattle milk is sold that way at the farmers market.

You are correct that it has to be usda inspected to sell individual cuts. That is why I priced it as live weight. I weigh it before it goes on the trailer and they pay me by the pound. I then haul it to the packer and they pick up their meat that they owned and pay him to wrap it. The packer I use is usda inspected and they have a store in the public area that you can purchase meat from so if I decided to sell cuts it would be no problem. I would have to ask for it to be inspected and maybe a brand name I am not sure about that because it doesn't pertain to me now. The place is clean as a pin and they do a good job for me and my customers.

hanging weight prices for slaughter cows currently paid direct to farmers by local packing plant.

premium 1.27 lb
with most 1.17 lb
overly fat 1.07 lb

p.s.
posted just to let you know what your Rock Bottom hanging weight prices should be for butcher cows.

Just me I guess, but I hate to butcher a 12-1300 pound calf for myself as there has to be a lot of fat content. I like mine around 7-800 pounds or less for myself. Even my butcher told me people will bring these fat as- calves in here to dress and it will not be near as good as the smaller grass fed calves.

circlebllc":1w0x9z28 said:
On the day of butcher delivery, I look at the daily average price. USDA dressed, hanging weight. My closest is in Iowa. Seems fair to my customers and me. I screen shot the daily and figure up the bill. Customer pays the butcher bill.
This is what we do but we only feed out a few for our extended family every year. We don't raise beef for others, as we've had problems with people picking it up from butcher.

ddd75":3ll4sbus said:
boondocks":3ll4sbus said:

Sorry, TG and Clod, I was reading too fast and read live wt as hanging wt.
Living in a climate where we feed hay over half the year, and having a grass-fed herd (no grain), I have to try to get every nickel, and I don't try to compete with Wal-Mart meat. I will give away a quarter to a deserving cause or person (and have) before I'll try to go tow-to-toe on price with beef raised and processed in a mass-market grain-fed system. Maybe part of that is foolish pride!

what do you sell yours at?

It's varied a bit given the swing in prices. Usually around $4/lb hanging wt (we pay butcher). We've gotten .25 more at times and .25 less at times. We end up giving away a good bit as well, so it evens out lol.

I price mine roughly like this. I assume that it is 50% not 60% that the charts tell you. So a jersey steer selling for .75 / lb live = equals 1.50 / lb hanging = equals 3.00 / lb packaged meat. Then I double it. So it is costing an average of 6.00 lb for all meat they get back. Since we also sell by the "live animal" I charge twice what the average animal would bring at the stockyard. And they pay butcher costs, which runs about $150. per half, done in vacuum pack. And although there is the chart that says an animal will yield about 60% to 63% , I tell people that the hanging is about 50% of live and they will get back about 50% of the hanging. Anymore than that is a bonus and they have all been satisfied with it. This helps to keep down unrealistic returns of "oh my goodness, what am I going to do with 1000 lbs of beef" from a beef animal. And I also make sure that they know there is a different flavor from a pasture raised animal than a feed lot animal. I have always given someone who is interested in beef, a pkg of hamburger and a small steak to try. Then, go from there.
My big thing is the ones that don't have the money when it is ready and waiting at the butcher so I no longer try to market the beef. I will sell an animal, paid for when it gets on their trailer, or paid for when I deliver it to the butcher. Mostly now, I sell to people who know and understand cattle; or it goes to the stockyard and I walk out with a check that day and it is done. Tired of the bs with the public. We have a few that get some every year and that is fine. Not worth the headaches with trying to market it anymore.

We charged $3.90 per pound hanging weight last year when we butchered our purebred Black Angus steers. That price included everything (steer, kill fee, cut & wrap, etc.)

Luckiamute":20dowsii said:
We charged $3.90 per pound hanging weight last year when we butchered our purebred Black Angus steers. That price included everything (steer, kill fee, cut & wrap, etc.)

holy crap

3.90 hw complete (assuming 68 cents lb for processing and 3.22 hw) = $6.50 lb take home

Highest I know of is sold in 1/4s certified organic grassfed angus 3.99 lb hw + .70 usda processing = $7.80 lb take home

Luckiamute":1jxbj32j said:
That's exactly how i do it,except I charge 3.75 a pound. I also get a 250.00 deposit for a quarter and 500.00 for a half, as that's about half the cost for a quarter or a half. Got tired of people backing out at the last minute.

We sell for $3/lb all day long. Customer pays processor. Family members pay my cost for beef. We've had to turn away people every year even though we continue to add to the feedlot. I'm in a great area for "locally grown beef"

I have been selling a few halves - $3 to $3.25/lb hanging. They pay cut/wrap/ and 1/2 kill cost. They are putting in orders before I have the next calves weaned. My halves have been about 375#
Mine usually dress about 64% - grain fed, of course.

Latest posts