Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Help Support CattleToday:

BTW, I live in a relatively small community where news travels fast but it NEVER occurred to me that the gossip mongers would somehow manage to twist my "oops baby" into a personal event. Lawwwwd have mercy! That awkward moment when someone stares at my non-existent "bump" with a raised eyebrow while calculating my age + the odds. Insert rolling eyes, hiding under the chair. Don't think there's an emoji on this forum for an inappropriate hand gesture but I'm kind of there.

TCRanch":2isf0y7i said:
BTW, I live in a relatively small community where news travels fast but it NEVER occurred to me that the gossip mongers would somehow manage to twist my "oops baby" into a personal event. Lawwwwd have mercy! That awkward moment when someone stares at my non-existent "bump" with a raised eyebrow while calculating my age + the odds. Insert rolling eyes, hiding under the chair. Don't think there's an emoji on this forum for an inappropriate hand gesture but I'm kind of there.

I'm sorry, but I do find that a bit amusing. (insert a giggling emoticon followed by the hiding under the chair)

Small towns......ain't they great?!

Workinonit Farm":1pn4vpmp said:
TCRanch":1pn4vpmp said:

I'm sorry, but I do find that a bit amusing. (insert a giggling emoticon followed by the hiding under the chair)

Small towns......ain't they great?!
It is funny (dignity is overrated) but reeeeally?:)

how much lute are you supposed to give? cant a overdose kill the heifer? i had a 13month old heifer bagging up and i said heck with it and just sold her. i dont understand how thats possible because she probly weighed less than 250 pounds when she got bred and the biggest bull calf in the pasture was probly 200 so it must have been my 3 year old bull

TCRanch":rygfd2ta said:

I suppose they think hubby's back surgery must have been a bit of a success and he has been getting a bit friskie.

Ken

wbvs58":6xrhhux6 said:
TCRanch":6xrhhux6 said:

I suppose they think hubby's back surgery must have been a bit of a success and he has been getting a bit friskie.

Ken
I just snorted some coffee! LOL!

MtnCows93":87bip6r8 said:
how much lute are you supposed to give? cant a overdose kill the heifer? i had a 13month old heifer bagging up and i said heck with it and just sold her. i dont understand how thats possible because she probly weighed less than 250 pounds when she got bred and the biggest bull calf in the pasture was probly 200 so it must have been my 3 year old bull

By the time they are showing an udder, it is too late to Lute. It can kill them, or at very least, mess up their systems and they usually won't breed back if they do manage to slip it. Giving Lute at a later stage, may very well not cause them to abort, and if they do, they do not dilate right, their system isn't ready to "calve" and it is worse than to let them go full term. My vet is adamant about not aborting when over 5-6 months.
Are you sure she didn't just have a fatty udder? I had some 1/4 dairy 3/4 beef heifers that were on some silage and they got some fatty udders over the winter. I had had them preg checked when we bangs vacc because I was a little concerned... but I have seen them in heat since. But they got a bit too fat. I am glad they are out on pasture now, they ought to get rid of some of the fat and just grow. Some heifer calves do just get fattier udders than others if they are fed good.

yea i figured you had to use lute early, im pretty sure cause she looked really wide too but she was 1/4 jersey 1/4 char and 1/2 angus, weighed 580 when i sold her so im sure i would have had problems

Progesterone is a steroid hormone produce by the corpus Luteum (CL). It is necessary to help maintain a pregnancy. A shot of Prostaglandin, such as Lutalayse, provides a hormone that will cause the CL to regress which will usually (but not always) end a short term pregnancy. At about 120 days gestation progesterone is produced by the placenta and therefore destroying the CL with a shot of Prostagladin will usually not terminate a pregnancy.

We had one get pregnant at only 4 months of age. Calved the day she turned 13 months. Yours is almost 18 months so she was close to 9 months when bred. I think you have a really good chance of a positive outcome. Let us know how it turns out.

Gave her the Lute at 7 weeks/49 days so I must have one fertile little girl. She's starting to spring so I'm guessing any day.

Katpau, years ago we had one bred at 4 months and it didn't turn out well - glad yours did! Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully I'll be posting pics of a bunky little calf pretty soon.

Welcome to the world, little Oops Baby! Nice big bull calf 9 days overdue & a hard pull but little mama & baby are doing great! (side note: interesting that previous comments are now missing since the most recent CT software update. Hmmm?)

TCRanch":28vx0c7b said:
(side note: interesting that previous comments are now missing since the most recent CT software update. Hmmm?)
Yep. The following thread about 'bull meat' also had a pretty good handful of replies before the upgrade and now there is nothing there but the original post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&p=1508477#p1508477

(I do wonder how often the board's software does it's auto backup)

Just had one of our oops babies an hour ago. Unassisted, and mother is mothering the calf like an old hand. Hopefully it's up and sucking as I type. One left to go.

Silver":28pud9up said:
Just had one of our oops babies an hour ago. Unassisted, and mother is mothering the calf like an old hand. Hopefully it's up and sucking as I type. One left to go.
This guy was a little slow but the Hoofometer Birthweight tape put him at 95 lbs (there's a potential 7 lb +/- variable but generally fairly accurate). I ended up drenching him with half a bottle of colostrum replacer with a shot of Vitamin B Complex and that's all it took - next time I went to check he was up & nursing like a champ.

Good luck on your (hopefully!) last one!

TCRanch":3grbr81q said:
Silver":3grbr81q said:
This guy was a little slow but the Hoofometer Birthweight tape put him at 95 lbs (there's a potential 7 lb +/- variable but generally fairly accurate). I ended up drenching him with half a bottle of colostrum replacer with a shot of Vitamin B Complex and that's all it took - next time I went to check he was up & nursing like a champ.

Good luck on your (hopefully!) last one!

Glad it's working out for you. Ours is pretty tiny and weak. Took him from his mom and put him in the hotbox for a few hours today and gave drenched him with colostrum milk replacer as well. I don't have the B complex on hand, might get my hands on some tomorrow if he's still alive. The good part is that the mother is doing well, hopefully she breeds back in time to stay in the herd.

Any updates, Silver?

My pair is still in the barnyard, she refuses to leave & join the herd. Little concerned she's not producing enough for such a big calf because he's always nursing but I'm going to pull him early anyway to give her time to recoup and he seems very healthy/bunky otherwise.

We luted every dang kept heifer this year and still had a Uh Oh...Pulled it and calf was paralyzed on one front leg. Wasn't a hard pull though, so dunno… After a week, it seemed to get better but I noticed that after a bottle, the calf grunted. Had this happen before with bad results. Sure enough, went to feed it one morning and it was dead. Don't know what was causing the grunting, but its not good, obviously....

TCRanch":3klz6ldg said:
Any updates, Silver?

My pair is still in the barnyard, she refuses to leave & join the herd. Little concerned she's not producing enough for such a big calf because he's always nursing but I'm going to pull him early anyway to give her time to recoup and he seems very healthy/bunky otherwise.

Glad to hear he's healthy. We had to put ours down. He never showed much sign of life, had some weird symptoms. Never could stand. Oh well, the mother is fine and may even breed back in time.
The other heifer still has a way to go. We have the three heifers in the barnyard as well, along with a lame bull and another bull that didn't seem to want to work. One of the prospective mothers got bred the other day, so obviously she wasn't as pregnant as I thought she was, and the bull has more libido than I thought he did lol.