Spraying Pond weeds

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
BC
GURU
GURU

Re: Spraying Pond weeds

Postby BC » Thu May 17, 2018 7:20 am

greybeard wrote:
BC wrote:
https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identi ... ater-lily/ You can click on the management options to find ways to get rid of it.

2,4d is one of their recommendations..I wonder if it makes any difference which form of 2,4d you use?

Weedar 64 has a label for aquatic use. Remember that the label is the law. I am going to a pesticide recertification training tomorrow and aquatic weeds are on the agenda. I will ask about various formulations of 2,4-D
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am

I checked into getting some Grass Carp, but not so great timing. The DEC yearly fish sale was this past Monday!
Got it on my calendar for next March to get my permits & buy a couple.
BC great site - I bookmarked it. Carp is good for my weed.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 am

Tilapia is another with a primarily vegetarian diet.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 am

A simple, inexpensive method to kill cattails in the pond is to cut them off just a couple inches below the water level. They suffocate.

We had a mess of them in a pond and they were getting thicker. I tried to pull them out with a scoop of mud with the backhoe. All I got was a glob of clay and a mess on the shore! We just snipped them off and raked them to the shore and put them on the burn pile after a few days.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am

I'm not impressed with grass carp. But the Canadian geese will clean all the grass in the pond they can reach. The byproduct is the main problem with geese.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm not impressed with grass carp. But the Canadian geese will clean all the grass in the pond they can reach. The byproduct is the main problem with geese.

My brother once tried to seine a little goose pond the owner was going to fill in. Said they sunk down about 3 feet in goose poop every step of the way. As someone else said, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
I believe it too. I had a pair of geese here at one time that roamed the yard. About every 3rd step it seemed like they'd squirt out a stream of it. It's why I gave 'em away, there was goose poop everywhere in the yard and once they discovered where the feed was coming from, they'd set on the slab at the back porch honking for me to come out and feed them, starting about daylight. They'd get in the dogs water container and just make a mess too. Nasty bastaages..
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 pm

I've used copper sulfate in my tanks. Kills everything green. Only recommended you do a percentage of it each day so as not to remove all the oxygen from the water. Never had any problems with it affecting fish.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I just talked to a guy that has a fisherie, and he uses Round Up with any surfactant. Said you can use dish soap as long as you aren't spraying the whole pond. As we talked, a little at a time.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I checked into getting some Grass Carp, but not so great timing. The DEC yearly fish sale was this past Monday!

We can get a few grass carp down here but it requires a permit from the State of Texas and a fee.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Yes, I have to get a pond stocking permit and a grass carp permit through DEC
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I checked into getting some Grass Carp, but not so great timing. The DEC yearly fish sale was this past Monday!

We can get a few grass carp down here but it requires a permit from the State of Texas and a fee.

Yep, and even tho they can't reproduce, ya can't get the permit if you are in an area that public water backs up into or if your overflow leads directly to public waterways. I tried..no go for me.

I don't know what kind of carp they have in Twin Buttes Reservoir San Angelo, but those rascals really reproduce. I have seen them massed up against the big riprap along the dam in big swarms.
Fun to catch on little doughballs made of mashed up Wheaties and Big Red soda pop. They can't resist it.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Sat May 19, 2018 7:18 pm

How much Roundup and how much soap per gallon to treat duckweed? How many sq ft roughly do you treat per gallon. Thanks
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sat May 19, 2018 11:31 pm

slick4591 wrote:Tilapia is another with a primarily vegetarian diet.

You are right but tilapia are more picky than grass carp and will not work on some of the submerged weeds. This was from Ken Hale of Boatcycle, Inc in Henderson, TX who raises and sells tilapia.

I also asked about various formulations of 2,4-D. He also told me you have to read the label. Some formulations have aquatic weeds listed and others don't. Weedar 64 and Navigate have water lily's on the label. I have used Weedar 64 in pastures. It is a 4 lb amine formulation.
1 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 pm

SmokinM wrote:How much Roundup and how much soap per gallon to treat duckweed? How many sq ft roughly do you treat per gallon. Thanks

Glyphosate (active ingredient in Rodeo or Eraser AQ which are both 53% active ingredient as compared to RoundUp which is 41%) is listed as poor for duckweed.

Go to www.aquaplant.tamu.edu and look up duckweed for your best options.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun May 20, 2018 5:57 pm

greybeard wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Yep, and even tho they can't reproduce, ya can't get the permit if you are in an area that public water backs up into or if your overflow leads directly to public waterways. I tried..no go for me.

I don't know what kind of carp they have in Twin Buttes Reservoir San Angelo, but those rascals really reproduce. I have seen them massed up against the big riprap along the dam in big swarms.
Fun to catch on little doughballs made of mashed up Wheaties and Big Red soda pop. They can't resist it.

Many years aggo they stocked Lake Conroe with them because hydrilla was taking over the lake. Just about ruined the lake because they DID multiply.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”