Cattle problems.
artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Rectal Bleeding on a calf

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Also - agree - it won't go away - treat!

Thank you to all again. I had had a few old-time farmers advocate for just ignoring it but you guys did make me re-think that and calf has been treated with Albon (sulfadimexothone) and I will keep on top of it.

How is your calf today?

There is a capsule available up here called Toltrazuril. One treatment lasts 30 days for cocci.

Can't say that I see much of a change but maybe slightly better and not any worse. Still looks pretty miserable. I gave him another sulfa bolus this morning.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed May 16, 2018 2:33 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thank you to all again. I had had a few old-time farmers advocate for just ignoring it but you guys did make me re-think that and calf has been treated with Albon (sulfadimexothone) and I will keep on top of it.

How is your calf today?

There is a capsule available up here called Toltrazuril. One treatment lasts 30 days for cocci.

Can't say that I see much of a change but maybe slightly better and not any worse. Still looks pretty miserable. I gave him another sulfa bolus this morning.

Can't go wrong with LA in conjunction with Sulpha. Dumb question but is one bolus sufficient for the calf's weight?

How long had the calf been passing blood before first treatment? Intestines could be comprimised and take a while to heal up.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
How is your calf today?

Can't go wrong with LA in conjunction with Sulpha. Dumb question but is one bolus sufficient for the calf's weight?

How long had the calf been passing blood before first treatment? Intestines could be comprimised and take a while to heal up.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is getting LA200 also. The calf weighs probably 120 and the dosage is one bolus per 200 lbs.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed May 16, 2018 5:45 pm

gcreekrch wrote:

Sorry, should have mentioned it is getting LA200 also. The calf weighs probably 120 and the dosage is one bolus per 200 lbs.

Gcreekrch, I'm assuming he's giving Sustain III cattle boluses. Sustain calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs but backordered indefinitely (I have no clue why!).
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 pm

TCRanch wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Gcreekrch, I'm assuming he's giving Sustain III cattle boluses. Sustain calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs but backordered indefinitely (I have no clue why!).

TC, I'm actually using Albon because the Sustain calf wasnt available.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I have powdered Corid, I get "000" gel caps and fill them, they hold 1 gram each, so giving 1 or 2 a day is perfect
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 pm

and fluids. could be dehydrated.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu May 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Just an FYI to all. Lost the calf this afternoon. He was low energy this morning and momma's bag was tight so I knew he wasnt nursing well anymore. Tubed him with water and electroylytes but didnt hope for much. I'm still not totally convinced this was coccidiosis since I've never had it here before (only 5 years experience with beef) and I also have zero signs from any other calves born right around the same time. That being said, his signs were 100% clinical for it so I dont know. I guess Girardiea is another possibility according to the vet. Definitely sucks because he was off like a rocket and growing well and his momma has raised 5 good calves in a row.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 17, 2018 7:04 pm

FYI - from what I know, cocci exists in all beef cattle. It runs rampant due to stress. Granted, high exposure means more cocci in their system to run rampant. But, what I'm getting at, you can have a clean farm, land, herd, and still get it.
Sorry for your loss. It always sucks. Bad enough to have one die at birth, but when you have one up & going and lose it, just seems to add salt to the wound.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri May 18, 2018 3:43 am

A stool sample to the lab and you will know for sure. Next time, treat when first diagnosed and you will likely have better results.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Fri May 18, 2018 8:29 am

gcreekrch wrote:A stool sample to the lab and you will know for sure. Next time, treat when first diagnosed and you will likely have better results.

Totally fair point. I don't know why I like learning things the expensive way, but it seems to perpetually happen. That being said, this wont sneak up on me again.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri May 18, 2018 8:48 am

gcreekrch wrote:A stool sample to the lab and you will know for sure. Next time, treat when first diagnosed and you will likely have better results.

Totally fair point. I don't know why I like learning things the expensive way, but it seems to perpetually happen. That being said, this wont sneak up on me again.

Human nature to have to learn for ourselves rather than from our neighbor's mistakes or successes. Those lessons usually last longer though. Best of luck.
3 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 am

Sorry about your loss.
Regarding sulfa boluses, it is my understanding that they should only be administered once, further dosing leads to some sort of build up in the kidneys. Someone else may know the details or I may be out in left field.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm

ALL cattle (and other ruminants, for that matter) have coccidia at some point in their lives... whether or not they develop clinical disease is another matter.
Sulfas are only potentially an issue in a dehydrated animal; otherwise, I see no problem with repeated treatment.
I've only ever seen one slide from an animal with sulfa drug kidney damage, and it was OLD case material, retained for teaching purposes. Otherwise, I never saw it in nearly 40 yrs of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Lucky_P - good to have you speak up. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”