Rectal Bleeding on a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Just an FYI to all. Lost the calf this afternoon. He was low energy this morning and momma's bag was tight so I knew he wasnt nursing well anymore. Tubed him with water and electroylytes but didnt hope for much. I'm still not totally convinced this was coccidiosis since I've never had it here before (only 5 years experience with beef) and I also have zero signs from any other calves born right around the same time. That being said, his signs were 100% clinical for it so I dont know. I guess Girardiea is another possibility according to the vet. Definitely sucks because he was off like a rocket and growing well and his momma has raised 5 good calves in a row.

FYI - from what I know, cocci exists in all beef cattle. It runs rampant due to stress. Granted, high exposure means more cocci in their system to run rampant. But, what I'm getting at, you can have a clean farm, land, herd, and still get it.
Sorry for your loss. It always sucks. Bad enough to have one die at birth, but when you have one up & going and lose it, just seems to add salt to the wound.

A stool sample to the lab and you will know for sure. Next time, treat when first diagnosed and you will likely have better results.

gcreekrch":1brgyncz said:
A stool sample to the lab and you will know for sure. Next time, treat when first diagnosed and you will likely have better results.

Totally fair point. I don't know why I like learning things the expensive way, but it seems to perpetually happen. That being said, this wont sneak up on me again.

artesianspringsfarm":1tdfgo3s said:
gcreekrch":1tdfgo3s said:

Totally fair point. I don't know why I like learning things the expensive way, but it seems to perpetually happen. That being said, this wont sneak up on me again.

Human nature to have to learn for ourselves rather than from our neighbor's mistakes or successes. Those lessons usually last longer though. Best of luck.

Sorry about your loss.
Regarding sulfa boluses, it is my understanding that they should only be administered once, further dosing leads to some sort of build up in the kidneys. Someone else may know the details or I may be out in left field.

ALL cattle (and other ruminants, for that matter) have coccidia at some point in their lives... whether or not they develop clinical disease is another matter.
Sulfas are only potentially an issue in a dehydrated animal; otherwise, I see no problem with repeated treatment.
I've only ever seen one slide from an animal with sulfa drug kidney damage, and it was OLD case material, retained for teaching purposes. Otherwise, I never saw it in nearly 40 yrs of veterinary practice and diagnostic pathology.

posted once about not losing a single one for two years. over the next few months I lost 6 head, cows and calves. mostly unrelated causes, different pastures. runs of bad luck sure seem to come when you thinkyou got it figured out.

Latest posts