First time planting hay-grazer

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Re: First time planting hay-grazer

Postby Texasmark » Fri May 18, 2018 5:09 pm

callmefence wrote:
Texasmark wrote:You need some P and K to go along with N for a new planting....if it's not already in the soil you need to incorporate it in the root zone before planting. N top dressing on a growing plant is ok, but you have to get it growing first.....ref. Agricultural Research Center at Renner (Texas), joint operation of TAMU research fellows and local businessmen formed back in the '60's to get Texas crop production going again after "king cotton" almost wiped us out.

I harvested a field of Austrian Field peas and Jumbo Rye this spring at about 30" tall and very thick. The peas used the rye as a trellis is the reason they were up so tall. Otherwise they would have hugged the ground and been a tangled mess....but that's ok. A tangled mess chops up just fine.

I came right back with SS and it's up about 8" now and nice and green, no additional fertilizer. The peas died off but probably 60% of the rye clumps recovered even though I ran a 3 pt rototiller over the field between crops and did a good job of disrupting the rye. Rains came at the right time and it is back strong with the SS. Interesting watching the SS plants. They were showing tomato worm green till the roots got long enough to find the N nodules left by the peas...then they turned a pretty Kelly Green.

Good info mark.
Every acre of tillable land I have is old cotton ground. For the first couple of years we soil tested and fertilized to recommendation. Now we use a 30-10-0
Which is the general recipe in this area.
I double crop oats and crimson clover on the same ground over the winter.

You must be in the southern tip of the Blackland (clay) belt I'm in. We soil test high for K but the general consensus of opinions is that even though it's in the soil and tests as such, getting it in a suitable state for plant consumption is the problem. I don't know about all that. Since you are running 0% K, you must be able to use what K you have. 30-10-0 would be a good combo I just might try one of these days to see if the K availability thing is fact or fiction. You'd think after having this farm since 1979, I would have tried it by now....no guts. Grin. Maybe I need to toughen up a bit.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Wed May 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Looks like at least thus far, I got this stuff in the ground at about the right time. It has rained a couple of times since I put it in the ground and it received about an inch of rain last night. Fortunately it also looks like it missed the 3 rounds of marble to golf ball sized hail that I got at my house last night.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:14 am

Glad to hear that! Hope it makes a lot of forage for you.

I hadn't considered the hail. I bet that would put a hurting on a field of sudan type grasses.
1 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:38 am

Just about to pull the trigger on this field. My grandson pictured pulled the drill on most of it.( His first haygrazer) Pretty good stand considering were in a moderate drought.

Imagephotoupload
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:10 am

26 days in on this project. To say we need rain would be an understatement.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm

28 days in on this. I'm getting just enough rain to keep it going. It was getting dry but it got about an inch and a half of rain Tuesday night.

0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

AZAggie wrote:28 days in on this. I'm getting just enough rain to keep it going. It was getting dry but it got about an inch and a half of rain Tuesday night.

Sure doesn't look like you planted it very thick. Fenceman said planting 50 lbs to the acre makes the stems and leaf thinner and he's right.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
AZAggie wrote:28 days in on this. I'm getting just enough rain to keep it going. It was getting dry but it got about an inch and a half of rain Tuesday night.

Sure doesn't look like you planted it very thick. Fenceman said planting 50 lbs to the acre makes the stems and leaf thinner and he's right.

Seed variety and local conditions play a hand in seed population, based on my research. 50 pounds of variety X may yield the same population as variety Y. I went with an average of my seed salesman's advice, and Fence's advice.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm

I followed what the recommended planting rate said to do which was 30 lbs per acre. I went a little over that actually. Next year I'm going to up that considerably.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:23 pm

This sorghum Sudan was broadcast seeded at 60lbs/acre and a cult I packed ran over it May 28.

I put 100lbs/acre 32-0-0 fertilizer on it June 2nd and it received its first good rain a couple days ago.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:Image

This sorghum Sudan was broadcast seeded at 60lbs/acre and a cult I packed ran over it May 28.

I put 100lbs/acre 32-0-0 fertilizer on it June 2nd and it received its first good rain a couple days ago.

Now that's a nice looking field.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Image About four weeks in on this field planted on a surprise rain, didn't have enough moisture to plant any where else. Needs some fertilizer waiting to see what they say about rain the first of the week before I do.

Image This field has been planted about a week after a good rain had a good shower the other day so the rest should be up soon.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:01 am

Where do you guys get your seed so inexpensive??? Man, I have to pay $50-$60 per 50lbs here...
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:11 pm

I ended up ordering through my local southern states for $65/bag. I found it several places online for under $40/bag but shipping was going to be as much as the seed.
To me the sorghum sudan is till pretty cheap at $50-$60/bag. It grows on our low PH soil which lowers the input cost drastically and if cut properly and a little N thrown on it after each cutting provides excellent yields.

We plan to get 3 cutting off of ours. What amazes me about sorghum sudan is its ability to grow under pretty stressful drought conditions. Once it gets going it doesn't need a lot of rain.
0 x

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am

kentuckyguy wrote:Image

That is a nice looking field.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”