Pricing definitions

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Sorry for the beginner question but we are considering several different options with our steers. One of them is retaining ownership through the feed yard and selling on a grid but with a recent addition to our acreage that includes two center pivots, we could realistically feed our own steers out ourselves and then ship to a packing plant.

When you sell a 1300 angus steer to a plant, what is THAT price called and how do i find a weekly quote? Is that the "fat cattle" price?

thanks much

grade and yield prices/pricing
Call the plant you want to sell to direct for their buyer/scheduler and ask for current pricing and requirements.
fat cattle prices are live weight prices

hornedfrogbbq":3n2cgdw2 said:
Sorry for the beginner question but we are considering several different options with our steers. One of them is retaining ownership through the feed yard and selling on a grid but with a recent addition to our acreage that includes two center pivots, we could realistically feed our own steers out ourselves and then ship to a packing plant.

When you sell a 1300 angus steer to a plant, what is THAT price called and how do i find a weekly quote? Is that the "fat cattle" price?

thanks much

How many head you have? Do you give them growth hormones? I ask because you can get a nice head premium if you become part of the NHTC program. Some up front and continuing costs, paperwork, etc... but we currently get $175 per head. Last year, I believe it was less but still a nice bonus. It is sometimes difficult to locate whom to sell them to.

We have put hormones in steers before but did not do that this year. As we are considering options, we did not want to do anything to hinder having as many as possible. We sell about 150 steers a year. We retain heifers and sell them bred.

Latest posts