Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I have never seen anything like it there is so many ticks this year. The cows are covered the mules has ticks, the dogs have ticks and I have been getting ticks, I sure don't want Lymes again been there and done that and its no fun !!
I have some PROLATE/LINTOX-HD that I have used mixed with diesel on back rubbers. but for some reason my cows avoid the rubs, has anyone sprayed them with this stuff mixed with diesel. I would not soak them but think the diesel would help it stay on longer. Also what about SEVEN DUST I got to do something ????
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP ON WHAT TO DO
I have found a place that sells the mineral with garlic but I think it will take several days for that to do any good ?? plus my cows are eating very little mineral right now.

Ticks are awful this spring. I just now came out of the vet's office after buying NexGuard for my two Corgis.

I poured my cows with Eprinex Eprinomectin and have treated with a follow up dose of UltraBoss. Not a single tick on them.

BRYANT":3c5c0xw4 said:
I have never seen anything like it there is so many ticks this year. The cows are covered the mules has ticks, the dogs have ticks and I have been getting ticks, I sure don't want Lymes again been there and done that and its no fun !!
I have some PROLATE/LINTOX-HD that I have used mixed with diesel on back rubbers. but for some reason my cows avoid the rubs, has anyone sprayed them with this stuff mixed with diesel. I would not soak them but think the diesel would help it stay on longer. Also what about SEVEN DUST I got to do something ????
I have found a place that sells the mineral with garlic but I think it will take several days for that to do any good ?? plus my cows are eating very little mineral right now.

Put the rub where they have to use it. I put them in gate holes. I will set a long post in the opening off to the side where the gate will tie to it that way the gate can still be used to drive thru . I hang it dry and let them get used to it and then charge it with lintox and diesel. The other afternoon I caught 4 calves playing with it. Not a single fly was on them .

rub.png

BRYANT":1p65dw5x said:

Yup, mix with diesel (per ratio on label) and spray on as you let them into a new pasture eg. (You can use min. oil instead of diesel but it's more money and doesn't stay on as long. I swear the diesel chases the flies off as much as the Prolate or whatever. Downside is that cows don't like the smell (or maybe sting?) and will try to avoid letting you spray them if they can. I've noticed they're less wary when we do mix it with min. oil).

I can't see any difference in spraying them with that mix, and puting it on a rub, however,my feed store, who also has a 300 head herd, advised against it. Still don't see a problem, but they didn't like it. I agree the ticks are THICK in OK this year!!!

We don't have much of a problem with ticks, but my daughter leases a place that has ticks really bad. Her cows ears get covered....Its not that far from our place, I've always found this kind of weird....

kenny thomas":wzf6ikik said:
Is that normal for some areas? Don't think I ever seen a tick on a cow here. But I only get a couple a year off myself.
this year is far worse than most. Cows has, had, wads of them I poured them and also sprayed with the mix I ask about and seems to be working in the one pasture haven't checked the other. there has been years I got 100 + ticks myself

kenny thomas":2lje3een said:
Is that normal for some areas? Don't think I ever seen a tick on a cow here. But I only get a couple a year off myself.

Kenny, up here where I am (Greene County), some years my cows will have quite a few ticks. This year I've pulled at least 8 off of me. Its not unusual to see ticks on cows, around here. Not so much when I spray/pour or "soak" them.

I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.

I have been out spraying, fencing, etc. Ticks are very abundant. My two corgis are out too. I was finding ticks on me and in the house. Starting spraying my clothes and shoes with Off Outdoors. None since I started that routine. Not finding any on the cows but have been using UltraBoss.

Depends on the year around here, some worse than others. During the drought we had a total tick infestation and I sprayed with Fly Ban about every 10 days, which made a huge difference. Pulled one off a cow under the shoulder today but most of the tics I've seen congregate around the anus (eweee!!) and I'm selective when it comes to pulling those off. I came down with a raging case of STARI disease (similar to Lyme but from the Lone Star tick) a few year ago and am now diligent about spraying myself with Off Outdoors, Deet 40. Dogs get Nexgard, haven't seen a single tick on them.

TCRanch":u0p3hnt9 said:
Depends on the year around here, some worse than others. During the drought we had a total tick infestation and I sprayed with Fly Ban about every 10 days, which made a huge difference. Pulled one off a cow under the shoulder today but most of the tics I've seen congregate around the anus (eweee!!) and I'm selective when it comes to pulling those off. I came down with a raging case of STARI disease (similar to Lyme but from the Lone Star tick) a few year ago and am now diligent about spraying myself with Off Outdoors, Deet 40. Dogs get Nexgard, haven't seen a single tick on them.

I was treated for Lyme disease about 2 years ago. Not on symptoms but I had the "Bullseye" around the site where I removed a tick. I also use NexGard on the dogs.

Bright Raven":371yofl2 said:
TCRanch":371yofl2 said:

I was treated for Lyme disease about 2 years ago. Not on symptoms but I had the "Bullseye" around the site where I removed a tick. I also use NexGard on the dogs.

I remember when you were treated for Lyme. I wouldn't wish a tick born disease on anyone! At the time my husband and I had been together 21 years and that was the first time he saw me cry in pain. I was a good month past the bullseye (my ignorance) before I was diagnosed. Took a good 6 weeks to recover but I was so jacked up on pain meds & antibiotics it was basically a blur. Seriously, Deet 40 or the highest concentration you can get!

I just bought a fimco 25 gal sprayer with the large 3.8 gpm pump just for spraying cows. I used diesel and permethrin. It soaks them down in a hurry, and you can do it from a distance. I pour some feed on the ground then back up and soak them down. Very fast and effective. One pasture has 50 pairs, took me let that 5 min. Money well spent

TCRanch":dy64mh8s said:
Bright Raven":dy64mh8s said:
TCRanch":dy64mh8s said:

I remember when you were treated for Lyme. I wouldn't wish a tick born disease on anyone! At the time my husband and I had been together 21 years and that was the first time he saw me cry in pain. I was a good month past the bullseye (my ignorance) before I was diagnosed. Took a good 6 weeks to recover but I was so jacked up on pain meds & antibiotics it was basically a blur. Seriously, Deet 40 or the highest concentration you can get!

Sorry to hear you had STARI. I've read about that one. I've been treated for Lyme 3 times. The 1st was the worst. Like with oyur cows, most times I see the ticks arount the anus, just under the tail.

AdavantixII for the dog, I'm thinking of starting to use the Seresto collar. Two previous dogs were treated for Lyme.

I hate ticks!!!

My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .
Last year we gave our dogs some sort of pill that kept them from getting ticks and fleas.. I need to get them more now so they'll go all summer louse free again.
One of the new weekenders were freaking out because they brought their kids here for the weekend along with one of their friends. The friend got a tick. THey were all worried, called her parents to warn them and asked us what we did..... Told them, we spray off on our legs and if we get a tick we pull it off.. City people freak out over ticks.

Latest posts