Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Cattle problems.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Postby BRYANT » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am

I have never seen anything like it there is so many ticks this year. The cows are covered the mules has ticks, the dogs have ticks and I have been getting ticks, I sure don't want Lymes again been there and done that and its no fun !!
I have some PROLATE/LINTOX-HD that I have used mixed with diesel on back rubbers. but for some reason my cows avoid the rubs, has anyone sprayed them with this stuff mixed with diesel. I would not soak them but think the diesel would help it stay on longer. Also what about SEVEN DUST I got to do something ????
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP ON WHAT TO DO
I have found a place that sells the mineral with garlic but I think it will take several days for that to do any good ?? plus my cows are eating very little mineral right now.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am

Ticks are awful this spring. I just now came out of the vet's office after buying NexGuard for my two Corgis.

I poured my cows with Eprinex Eprinomectin and have treated with a follow up dose of UltraBoss. Not a single tick on them.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:02 am

BRYANT wrote:I have never seen anything like it there is so many ticks this year. The cows are covered the mules has ticks, the dogs have ticks and I have been getting ticks, I sure don't want Lymes again been there and done that and its no fun !!
I have some PROLATE/LINTOX-HD that I have used mixed with diesel on back rubbers. but for some reason my cows avoid the rubs, has anyone sprayed them with this stuff mixed with diesel. I would not soak them but think the diesel would help it stay on longer. Also what about SEVEN DUST I got to do something ????
I have found a place that sells the mineral with garlic but I think it will take several days for that to do any good ?? plus my cows are eating very little mineral right now.

Put the rub where they have to use it. I put them in gate holes. I will set a long post in the opening off to the side where the gate will tie to it that way the gate can still be used to drive thru . I hang it dry and let them get used to it and then charge it with lintox and diesel. The other afternoon I caught 4 calves playing with it. Not a single fly was on them .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:15 am

0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

BRYANT wrote:I have never seen anything like it there is so many ticks this year. The cows are covered the mules has ticks, the dogs have ticks and I have been getting ticks, I sure don't want Lymes again been there and done that and its no fun !!

Yup, mix with diesel (per ratio on label) and spray on as you let them into a new pasture eg. (You can use min. oil instead of diesel but it's more money and doesn't stay on as long. I swear the diesel chases the flies off as much as the Prolate or whatever. Downside is that cows don't like the smell (or maybe sting?) and will try to avoid letting you spray them if they can. I've noticed they're less wary when we do mix it with min. oil).
0 x

okiek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby okiek » Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I can't see any difference in spraying them with that mix, and puting it on a rub, however,my feed store, who also has a 300 head herd, advised against it. Still don't see a problem, but they didn't like it. I agree the ticks are THICK in OK this year!!!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm

We don't have much of a problem with ticks, but my daughter leases a place that has ticks really bad. Her cows ears get covered....Its not that far from our place, I've always found this kind of weird....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Fri May 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Ticks are horrible here too this spring.
0 x

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:36 pm

cheap ivermectin will kill them all
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat May 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Is that normal for some areas? Don't think I ever seen a tick on a cow here. But I only get a couple a year off myself.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sun May 20, 2018 8:50 am

kenny thomas wrote:Is that normal for some areas? Don't think I ever seen a tick on a cow here. But I only get a couple a year off myself.

this year is far worse than most. Cows has, had, wads of them I poured them and also sprayed with the mix I ask about and seems to be working in the one pasture haven't checked the other. there has been years I got 100 + ticks myself
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun May 20, 2018 5:04 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Is that normal for some areas? Don't think I ever seen a tick on a cow here. But I only get a couple a year off myself.

Kenny, up here where I am (Greene County), some years my cows will have quite a few ticks. This year I've pulled at least 8 off of me. Its not unusual to see ticks on cows, around here. Not so much when I spray/pour or "soak" them.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm

I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I have been out spraying, fencing, etc. Ticks are very abundant. My two corgis are out too. I was finding ticks on me and in the house. Starting spraying my clothes and shoes with Off Outdoors. None since I started that routine. Not finding any on the cows but have been using UltraBoss.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 20, 2018 6:21 pm

Depends on the year around here, some worse than others. During the drought we had a total tick infestation and I sprayed with Fly Ban about every 10 days, which made a huge difference. Pulled one off a cow under the shoulder today but most of the tics I've seen congregate around the anus (eweee!!) and I'm selective when it comes to pulling those off. I came down with a raging case of STARI disease (similar to Lyme but from the Lone Star tick) a few year ago and am now diligent about spraying myself with Off Outdoors, Deet 40. Dogs get Nexgard, haven't seen a single tick on them.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”