Thinking outside the box

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Thinking outside the box

Post by skeeter swatter » Sat May 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Good idea with the shade. If that machine was left with my cows, they'd eat the wiring. And the seat. And probably push it across the pasture.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Post by snoopdog » Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 am

That is Awesome , that he's doing better , keep us posted . And yes , I too have drowned them under same conditions as already mentioned , I think there is probably a lesson in there somewhere for us men.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 am

skeeter swatter wrote:Good idea with the shade. If that machine was left with my cows, they'd eat the wiring. And the seat. And probably push it across the pasture.

Years ago hubby & I took both Polaris' to feed because the herd was split in 2 groups, left mine parked, got in with him & took off to the south pasture. When we got back my Polaris was gone. WTH? I didn't have the emergency brake on & the 2nd group pushed it off the road & down the hill trying to get the cubes out of the back. Found it down in a draw, wedged between 2 trees & suspended on a huge rock. Learned a couple new words from Hubby that day!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 am

Keep forgetting to update. Calf is now 100%, has put on a ton of weight & I've evidently developed an appendage. All good! #boundariesareoverrated

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 pm

ddd75 wrote:a guy told me to give this to scouring calves and I haven't lost one since.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5

It’s off label, but 10cc of baytril will knock scours out as well.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 am

Sustain is now back on the market, did anyone notice? I just ran out this weekend (I bought and hoarded what I had), so I started looking for it...
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... dnEALw_wcB
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes and no. Sustain III Cattle boluses are available but the calf boluses are still unavailable/indefinitely back-ordered. I've been using Albon. The Albon is the same size as the Sustain Calf bolus but 1 per 200 lbs., reducing the dosage by half for up to 4 days. Sustain Calf boluses are 1 per 50 lbs. but effective for 3 days. I don't know about you but in my world, 9 times out of 10 a sick calf is never conveniently near one of the chutes so I have to rope it, take it down, switch to a halter & attempt to keep it down. I've had newborns that outweigh me so it's no easy task and I'd much rather shove multiple boluses down once than do a little WWF up to 4 days - not to mention the trauma on the calf. I still can't get an answer why the Sustain was pulled in the first place or if it will ever come back on the market.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Just a little update. Sold my calves Wednesday & baby boy clocked in at 781 lbs. (and got 1.48 per). Pretty pleased, considering I thought he was a goner. I did my part but credit goes to his awesome mama & his will to not only live but thrive!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:03 pm

That's the way you do it!!!
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."