100% AI?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

100% AI?

Postby southernultrablack » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:02 pm

I will have 13 cows to breed this fall. I intend to synchronize them and have them bred on timed AI. I will catch the stragglers on observed heats, how realistic is it to expect to get them all bred this way? Any pointers/tips for going 100% AI?
0 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 100% AI?

Postby Hogtiming » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 pm

With that amount of cows it should not be much of an issue
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm

southernultrablack wrote:I will have 13 cows to breed this fall. I intend to synchronize them and have them bred on timed AI. I will catch the stragglers on observed heats, how realistic is it to expect to get them all bred this way? Any pointers/tips for going 100% AI?

Good plan. Assuming healthy cows, piece of cake.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Cdcollett
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdcollett » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm

All I can say is I ai my own & I don’t do 100%. I get anywhere from 50-75% conception when I observe a standing heat. Say you get 50% every time you’d get 7 bred the first go, 3 three weeks later, three weeks later you get 1 or 2 and maybe just maybe three weeks later you get the last. I personally do not observe all in a standing heat & will not breed one without knowing. Do that & expect much lower conception. That’s a lot of time I don’t have so mine get one ai then the clean up bulls do their thing. I say completely unrealistic to get them all settled your proposed way but there’s one way to find out. Good luck.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Cdcollett wrote:All I can say is I ai my own & I don’t do 100%. I get anywhere from 50-75% conception when I observe a standing heat. Say you get 50% every time you’d get 7 bred the first go, 3 three weeks later, three weeks later you get 1 or 2 and maybe just maybe three weeks later you get the last. I personally do not observe all in a standing heat & will not breed one without knowing. Do that & expect much lower conception. That’s a lot of time I don’t have so mine get one ai then the clean up bulls do their thing. I say completely unrealistic to get them all settled your proposed way but there’s one way to find out. Good luck.

I have bred a herd of about 20 two years in a row without any bull. I get 80 % conception on first service. I only breed on natural observed heats. You are correct. It takes a tremendous amount of time. I start logging estrus cycles in September. I begin breeding on Thanksgiving day. I finish by middle of January. For last 2 years, I have gotten every cow/heifer bred AI. That gives me a compact calving season of September and October. My cows are very healthy. Nutrition is vital. Plus good mineral and a good heat detection protocol.
4 x
Make America Happy Again

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Warrior2154 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:21 pm

I agree with above post. We do 100% AI on our 20 cow registered herd. Nutrition, mineral, vaccines, worming, heat deteticion are key.

Our commercial herd we do 1 round of timed AI and then turn bulls in. But hitting about 55% on that and cattle follow same stuff as registered herd.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Warrior2154 wrote:I agree with above post. We do 100% AI on our 20 cow registered herd. Nutrition, mineral, vaccines, worming, heat deteticion are key.

Our commercial herd we do 1 round of timed AI and then turn bulls in. But hitting about 55% on that and cattle follow same stuff as registered herd.

It also helps that my forages are diversified away from pure fescue. I know in areas that have extremely high endophyte levels, conception can be a bigger challenge.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm

There are thousands of dairy farms that haven't had a breeding bull on the place for decades
3 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

ez14. wrote:There are thousands of dairy farms that haven't had a breeding bull on the place for decades

I don't doubt that, but they aren't counting on a tight calvung window either. It ain't a game changer if you sell her bull calf for 125.00 this month or next.
1 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm

jehosofat wrote:
ez14. wrote:There are thousands of dairy farms that haven't had a breeding bull on the place for decades

I don't doubt that, but they aren't counting on a tight calvung window either. It ain't a game changer if you sell her bull calf for 125.00 this month or next.

True

Though most dairy farms aim for a calf every 12 months. How lenient they will be depends on the farm and the cows production.
0 x

Cdcollett
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdcollett » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 pm

They also have a super high cull rates and calves are a secondary source of income to them. Ask them what their conception rates are.
Last edited by Cdcollett on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Cdcollett wrote:They also have a super high cull weight and calves are a secondary source of income to them. Ask them what their conception rates are.

First service conception? Or % cows getting pregnant before the breeding deadline is over?

And yes with gender select semon the cull rate is going up all the time. All the more reason for a cow to conceive early because there might be 3 promising young heifers looking to take her place
0 x

Cdcollett
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdcollett » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 pm

On the tips & pointers, observed standing heats + 12 hours will get you your best success by far. I do timed ai but those that I actually see standing during that protocol are much less likely to need rebred to the point that I might not breed the non responders that show no signs. I really prefer the natural heats but like I said I just don’t have the time to watch them that close. I also think the bull can make a difference. More of the bull studs have data like select sire’s superior settler designation &I do think it makes a difference. At the end of the day though if you want a small calving window I still think a clean up bull is a must even if you partner with a neighbor.
0 x

Cdcollett
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cdcollett » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 pm

ez14. wrote:First service conception? Or % cows getting pregnant before the breeding deadline is over?

And yes with gender select semon the cull rate is going up all the time. All the more reason for a cow to conceive early because there might be 3 promising young heifers looking to take her place

I don’t think either number would be what southernultrablack is after but the first service would be what I’m referring too.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:24 am

jehosofat wrote:

I don't doubt that, but they aren't counting on a tight calving window either.
It ain't a game changer if you sell her bull calf for 125.00 this month or next.

ez is right.
And dairy cows are under a heck of a lot more stress than beef cows.
Big difference between handling facilities give dairy an advantage in A.I. over beef producers.
Dairymen handle their cows 2+ times a day, day in and day out.
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”