Clipping pastures today

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Clipping pastures today

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:03 pm

On the bottom ground we get a lot of iron weeds. I like to knock them down before they go to seed. In the process of mowing them down the pasture grass is clipped in the high spots.

Once we get a rain after clipping the pasture really jumps and it’s clean grass.

The hillside I’m mowing now has a lot of broomsage. I’m debating on trying to fix the PH issues it has a little at a time. Biggest problem is nobody will put a lime truck on it.

Mowing does seem to help with the broomsage. I actually think it helps more to now it early.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:25 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:On the bottom ground we get a lot of iron weeds. I like to knock them down before they go to seed. In the process of mowing them down the pasture grass is clipped in the high spots.

Once we get a rain after clipping the pasture really jumps and it’s clean grass.

The hillside I’m mowing now has a lot of broomsage. I’m debating on trying to fix the PH issues it has a little at a time. Biggest problem is nobody will put a lime truck on it.

Mowing does seem to help with the broomsage. I actually think it helps more to now it early.

I can tell you from first hand experience - mowing totally eliminated broomsage in the areas where I had broomsage.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm

My pastures will be clipped when cows are moved on them to clip them

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:55 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:On the bottom ground we get a lot of iron weeds. I like to knock them down before they go to seed. In the process of mowing them down the pasture grass is clipped in the high spots.

in mt sterling those guys have a lime truck with a blower.. they can blow it on the hills.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I’ll have to look into that thanks
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 pm

ddd75 wrote:

in mt sterling those guys have a lime truck with a blower.. they can blow it on the hills.

What a great idea!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 pm

ddd75 wrote:it ain't steep unless your a$$ is puckered

I've got some mean hills, but the neighbor has some REAL mean hills. I asked him if he got nervous in the tractor clipping the real bad ones. He said, "Naw, but I do get a little worried when I notice that I'm holding my coffee cup sideways".
1 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 am

Ebenezer wrote:
jltrent wrote:I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.

Please discuss the use of a mist blower and how you use it on pastures? Weeds? Due to slopes? Versus boom or boomless sprayer, ... Thanks.

It is not as precise as the 32' feet wide spray I have where you are spraying down on the weeds, but you can clean a field up in a hurry and get in and around some pretty rough places. I like the mist blower for one reason it gets up and under the weeds goods and catch a little breeze with some good strong spray with the mist blower going in the same direction and you can effectively spray and slick off a field pretty good up to a 100' at a time. Since I got the mist blower four years ago it has been the only sprayer I use and will continue to be. Next to a round baler and loader on a tractor it is one of the most handiest piece of equipment I have. Why tear equipment up and waste fuel when you can run over the pasture fairly quickly with the mist blower and get most of the weeds. The cattle will eat the rest.

My Bush hog will last a long time as it is just about a waste with this weed/brush sprayer. It don't come back like after using a bush hog.

2 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Never seen anything like that jltrent. Bet it’s real handy around trees. I can’t spray a pretty good piece of where I keep my cows because of trees
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Almost have it done
4 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:52 pm

jltrent wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:
jltrent wrote:I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.

Please discuss the use of a mist blower and how you use it on pastures? Weeds? Due to slopes? Versus boom or boomless sprayer, ... Thanks.

It is not as precise as the 32' feet wide spray I have where you are spraying down on the weeds, but you can clean a field up in a hurry and get in and around some pretty rough places. I like the mist blower for one reason it gets up and under the weeds goods and catch a little breeze with some good strong spray with the mist blower going in the same direction and you can effectively spray and slick off a field pretty good up to a 100' at a time. Since I got the mist blower four years ago it has been the only sprayer I use and will continue to be. Next to a round baler and loader on a tractor it is one of the most handiest piece of equipment I have. Why tear equipment up and waste fuel when you can run over the pasture fairly quickly with the mist blower and get most of the weeds. The cattle will eat the rest.
My Bush hog will last a long time as it is just about a waste with this weed/brush sprayer. It don't come back like after using a bush hog.

tsk tsk
You need to be mowing instead, so you too can lay all that good forage down on the ground. (another one here that hasn't hooked up to a mower in a loong time, and may never again.)
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:02 pm

5S Cattle wrote:Never seen anything like that jltrent. Bet it’s real handy around trees. I can’t spray a pretty good piece of where I keep my cows because of trees

You can put fly spray in it (Permethrin 10%),and spray the cattle as they lay in the shade, most of the cattle doesn't even mind. I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before, you just start at the bottom and spray to the top. Another handy thing is around some of the fields I use to have limbs hanging in the way. I go around and spray the overhanging limbs and they break off and are not in the way after they die.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 pm

I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before,
Now you got my attention.......if it weren't for the National Forest being a neighbor. That sure could have saved me a lot of work tho.
Piston pump or the air flow just draws the fluid in to it?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 pm

greybeard wrote:
I have killed trees at least 20 feet high before,
Now you got my attention.......if it weren't for the National Forest being a neighbor. That sure could have saved me a lot of work tho.
Piston pump or the air flow just draws the fluid in to it?

It has a pump that works off the tractor battery 12v that sprays three nozzles at the snout of were the air comes out. The fan works off the PTO. I have a toggle switch in the tractor that I can shut the pump off immediately if something doesn't need spraying and then back on.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 am

What brand is it?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”