Clipping pastures today

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy":3rf8pv69 said:
Looks good Ron

It's kind of muddy here also. I'm hoping to mow some of the hills here in the next few weeks.

When you get finished mowing there you can come around the road a few miles and I'll let you mow some strip mines that will make you pucker! :lol:

ringer":29pe1w1l said:
kentuckyguy":29pe1w1l said:
Looks good Ron

It's kind of muddy here also. I'm hoping to mow some of the hills here in the next few weeks.

When you get finished mowing there you can come around the road a few miles and I'll let you mow some strip mines that will make you pucker! :lol:

i've ran around grayson a few times on my quad.

i've been on 2 wheels too many times.. i'm on flat land now and i like it. lol

Your right about being green, almost hurts my eyes it's so vivid.

I'd like to get started knocking down what's left where in going to pasture drill oats and tidy up the place a bit but it's so dry and not green. I've never had a shredder start a fire and rarely hear of it, but I'm not excited about pressing my luck either.

Y9MSapv.jpg

Started on some of the hills today. Looks like rain is coming tomorrow so that will put a hold on things for a few days.

kentuckyguy":1bonsjo9 said:
Y9MSapv.jpg

Started on some of the hills today. Looks like rain is coming tomorrow so that will put a hold on things for a few days.

That is a hill but it does not look "scary" steep. I bet you got some steeper than that?

I do and that one is much steeper than it looks. It's hard to capture the steepness of a hill with a photo.

I'll try to get some looking down it and from the side.

kentuckyguy":zh2xott8 said:
I do and that one is much steeper than it looks. It's hard to capture the steepness of a hill with a photo.

I'll try to get some looking down it and from the side.

Yep. It is. Oddly, when I look at a hill from the side it never looks as steep as it does looking down.

BTW: I mowed pasture today, also.

so I have a question about mowing standing pasture like that....you think clipping the top 6 inches off foot tall is beneficial then...isn't it kind of wasting it til the top browns off. different grasses I know but here bahai wont seed if it gets mowed off.i do mow but not til the top wilt...

My main reason for spraying is to get rid of weeds and keep them from going to seed. Weeds like iron weed, goldenrod, and ragweed are a constant battle. Spraying helps, but never gets them all because of how and when they grow.
With most grasses here, once they go so seed growth pretty much stops. Clipping stimulates more blade growth. The cows should be handlng that part, but they won't touch grass anywhere near a pile of manure.

Does mowing help thin broomsage?

I've been mowing as i move the animals to new grass. Have been seeing broomsage here and there. Having a thicker stand seems to be helping thin it down. For sure less than last year.

I've decided to mow this year instead of spray. I'm liking what i am seeing. Many species popping their heads up.

By the way Kentuckyguy, your pastures look great.

Raven - It sure is green. We have been fortunate.

On the bottom ground we get a lot of iron weeds. I like to knock them down before they go to seed. In the process of mowing them down the pasture grass is clipped in the high spots.

Once we get a rain after clipping the pasture really jumps and it's clean grass.

The hillside I'm mowing now has a lot of broomsage. I'm debating on trying to fix the PH issues it has a little at a time. Biggest problem is nobody will put a lime truck on it.

Mowing does seem to help with the broomsage. I actually think it helps more to now it early.

kentuckyguy":12gdrsac said:
On the bottom ground we get a lot of iron weeds. I like to knock them down before they go to seed. In the process of mowing them down the pasture grass is clipped in the high spots.

Once we get a rain after clipping the pasture really jumps and it's clean grass.

The hillside I'm mowing now has a lot of broomsage. I'm debating on trying to fix the PH issues it has a little at a time. Biggest problem is nobody will put a lime truck on it.

Mowing does seem to help with the broomsage. I actually think it helps more to now it early.

I can tell you from first hand experience - mowing totally eliminated broomsage in the areas where I had broomsage.

kentuckyguy":2ca2frap said:

in mt sterling those guys have a lime truck with a blower.. they can blow it on the hills.

ddd75":21z23izc said:
kentuckyguy":21z23izc said:

in mt sterling those guys have a lime truck with a blower.. they can blow it on the hills.

What a great idea!!!

ddd75":1k5nsuns said:
it ain't steep unless your a$$ is puckered
I've got some mean hills, but the neighbor has some REAL mean hills. I asked him if he got nervous in the tractor clipping the real bad ones. He said, "Naw, but I do get a little worried when I notice that I'm holding my coffee cup sideways".

Ebenezer":a68f7h0w said:
jltrent":a68f7h0w said:
I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.
Please discuss the use of a mist blower and how you use it on pastures? Weeds? Due to slopes? Versus boom or boomless sprayer, ... Thanks.

It is not as precise as the 32' feet wide spray I have where you are spraying down on the weeds, but you can clean a field up in a hurry and get in and around some pretty rough places. I like the mist blower for one reason it gets up and under the weeds goods and catch a little breeze with some good strong spray with the mist blower going in the same direction and you can effectively spray and slick off a field pretty good up to a 100' at a time. Since I got the mist blower four years ago it has been the only sprayer I use and will continue to be. Next to a round baler and loader on a tractor it is one of the most handiest piece of equipment I have. Why tear equipment up and waste fuel when you can run over the pasture fairly quickly with the mist blower and get most of the weeds. The cattle will eat the rest.

My Bush hog will last a long time as it is just about a waste with this weed/brush sprayer. It don't come back like after using a bush hog.

7y6QLSZ.jpg

Never seen anything like that jltrent. Bet it's real handy around trees. I can't spray a pretty good piece of where I keep my cows because of trees

Latest posts