Calves have a cough ?? What do I do ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Purchased new cow calf pair from sale barn. Calf is about 2 months old maybe 150 pounds. I noticed it had a slight cough not all the time but noticeable. Today I went to feed my cows and a non sale barn calf was breathing heavy and had the same cough but a little harsher. What could it be ? Worried it's repspittory plan on giving LA 200 in the morning. Any ideas ? Thanks

Sounds like early stages of pneumonia. Hard to tell without seeing. Droopy ears? Acting puny? I'd get in front of it. Lot on here may disagree with me but I'd give LA200 or 300, LONG ACTING penicillin, and a shot of dex. Quicker treatment equals better results.

If not better in 24 hours find some baytril or excede or draxxin. The reason I don't go to these three first is because baytril usually requires a second treatment. Excede is hard to follow up. If it doesn't knock it out (which it almost always does) then you could have a problem. Never had to treat twice with Draxxin but it's so dang expensive.

I don't play around with respiratory issues. And I've had several with this hot humid weather we've been having. Didn't doctor but one calf last year for respiratory. Treated 3 this week.

The first calf I got from sale barn has had a slight cough for about 2 weeks. The other calf had it start this afternoon. They were eating hay once it cooled down in the late evening. I am gonna give them LA 200 early tomorrow. Can respiratory viruses or puemonia be contagious?

kenny thomas":sbxkdmet said:
LA 200 or 300 is great for soft tissue injuries like pinkeye or foot problems. Almost useless for respiratory problem

I won't argue with that. But i do have a question. Back when I fed medicated mineral with Aureomycin I had virtually no pinkeye or respiratory or foot rot problems. Is there that much of a difference between Aueromycin (chlortetracycline) and LA200 (oxytetracycline)? Or was I just fortunate?

Will the LA 200 work or should I get something else ? All I have close is a Travtor Supply?

What should I try to find there are some fees stores not to far from me

Are these calves acting sick or just coughing? Are their ears low and droopy? Do they cough all the time or just when eating hay and feed? I'm with Kenny on the LA200 not doing much. I've had some success using LA300 on sick cows/calves but it's always been a last resort type thing. Why are they eating hay and feed in June? Do you have them in a trap? Sorry for all the questions but you ask for help

Agree with identifying other symptoms (snotty nose, runny eyes, not active, droopy ears, drooling, etc) and I would strongly suggest taking its temp. If it's respiratory I also agree LA200/LA300 won't do much & anything else will require a RX; my preference is Resflor Gold or Draxxin. Yes, they're expensive but cheaper than potentially losing a calf and they're long lasting, generally one 'n done.

Went out there now. They don't seem sick but do have a cough.

Vet gave me Drexxin and Banamine. I may have misspelled them. Cost $100.00 for 3 calves

Lrj505":1j1eh7t3 said:
Vet gave me Drexxin and Banamine. I may have misspelled them. Cost $100.00 for 3 calves

lot of money to spend on 3 calves that may not be sick. but they'll be better now.

calves cough and have snotty noses all the time. no temp or droopy ear they get left alone here.

Latest posts