Nice surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
I took a 4 yr old cull on Monday to Bluegrass Stockyard, assuming i'd get my usaual $6-700 dollar check in the mail a few days later. Nope. I wasn't even close. She busted the scale at 1640, and brought .70 . Not only that, I had loaded her the night before, so she was in the trailer for 12-14 hours before off loading her. Not sure how much weight she would have lost being locked up that long.

Still not the ideal way to grab $1100, but I'll still take and it move on ….

torogmc81":3oyitnxv said:
I took a 4 yr old cull on Monday to Bluegrass Stockyard, assuming i'd get my usaual $6-700 dollar check in the mail a few days later. Nope. I wasn't even close. She busted the scale at 1640, and brought .70 . Not only that, I had loaded her the night before, so she was in the trailer for 12-14 hours before off loading her. Not sure how much weight she would have lost being locked up that long.

Still not the ideal way to grab $1100, but I'll still take and it move on ….
She would have lost some but probably rehydrated well once unloaded at the sale barn and found the water trough. She did awfully good.

Culled her dam on Monday and got the check today.

1605# @.55

Not going to complain one bit

That's unheard of here lately. The best kill cows are bringing .45 maybe .50.
Wonder if she was real nice did she look heavy bred or something?

TennesseeTuxedo":1dhhb4aj said:
Midtenn":1dhhb4aj said:

Sounds like somebody might have bought her to take back to the farm.
Yea possible, brought her in wet, but her bag is always high and tight. She'd work for someone, breeds to a bull in a heartbeat but taking a straw she's been a pain in our rear. She doesn't look bred but she's never lost condition even with having pulled a late May bull calf off her that morning we hauled

torogmc81":og8rngqj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":og8rngqj said:
Midtenn":og8rngqj said:

Sounds like somebody might have bought her to take back to the farm.
Yea possible, brought her in wet, but her bag is always high and tight. She'd work for someone, breeds to a bull in a heartbeat but taking a straw she's been a pain in our rear. She doesn't look bred but she's never lost condition even with having pulled a late May bull calf off her that morning we hauled

I'd be happy to own her.

I have a BIG old cow that I might have to cull here soon.. I think she's coming up open. I got slaughtered with the last few I brought, she should get a good price though, she's meaty and about 17-1800 lbs.. I'll wait a little until there's grass and I'm sure she's open. She's 15 years old but doesn't look it.

You did good
I had a old cow come up open
Sold her last week @ .45
Have a young one open that's fixing to go

Cull cow prices here are as good or better than they were a month ago yet the feeder calves are running .25 to .40 /lb less and it is looking bleak for the feeders. Saw several nice fleshy cows bring in the 60's and a couple of dairy cows that weighed in the 1700 + 1800 lbs that obviously hadn't missed a meal and couldn't have been making any milk from the looks of their bags, and they brought .75 and .79.....

Don't even know if they are going to have the local sales the end of this week and it looks like our special graded sale next week is off because the buyers won't commit to even bidding because they say they don't have any orders with the mess this corona virus has caused. Fat cattle are down, all the futures on the feeders have hit their bottoms nearly every day for the past week or so.

Had a cow come open last week after preg check safe at 45 days. seen her jump and act off at 70 and 85 days, patched her, she never stood though. Became suspicious of her aborting. i was correct. She HAD been safe with an ET after raising two nice heifer calves for us. Not sure if the summer humidity caused this or what. But, she got herself a trip to the sale barn.

Not a "Nice Surprise" to fit my original topic. But will keep using this thread for continuous tracking of culls

1510# @ .67

We shipped 40 straight to the plant back on the 5th. On the rail hot weight we got $1.48 for the best and $1.32 for the lightest shelly cows. On my 15 cows I had 6 of the top cows and only one of the lowest.

Best cows in Williams Lake on Thursday brought the low 90s. They had to be empty and moderate flesh to do so.

We sold 228 heifers for an average of 823 lbs and $176.50.

gcreekrch said:
Best cows in Williams Lake on Thursday brought the low 90s. They had to be empty and moderate flesh to do so.

We sold 228 heifers for an average of 823 lbs and $176.50.

176 is that a typo?

Latest posts