Hayfield Grass ID

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hayfield Grass ID

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

If it weren't for Dallisgrass our cattle would starve through summer. Makes good hay, just a little ugly in the bale from what i hear.

It really grows. I mean really really grows. It is a cousin to Bahia. Responsive to N. Mine is mixed with white clover and does pretty dang good. I thought it was crabgrass for the first year or so i was here.

Don't let the seed heads get nasty looking. Mow them off to prevent cattle from eating them. Makes them weird. Slow, stumble, and just plain off their rocker.

Reading on Dallisgrass --- https://extension.tennessee.edu/Wilson/ ... sgrass.pdf
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

jwimberly wrote:I identified another type of major grass in my field as Dallisgrass also. What's the forums opinion on this stuff? It seems to do very well in these low creek bottoms this time of year. Last year on my second cutting I got 90 4x5's off about 15 acres so about 6 bales per acre. I did have to supplement last winter though so it must be a little low on protein?

Cows eat it I had one Hay field that had quite a bit in it. It is just lower quality I finally sprayed that field with roundup and replanted Bahia.They like smut grass hay as well, that’s another story.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am

Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

My Bahia hayfield avengers more than 12 rolls to the acre a year.

CB, the Bahia I cut is what I call common Bahia. Not sure if that’s the right name. I have a 17 acre pasture that is Pensacola. I fertilize it lightly each year and I can see how with proper management, fertilizer, and good rainfall it would do as good as the Bermuda. That stuff really puts out some forage.

Being new to the grass, I guess my (very) limited experiences weren't with "managed" crops. Will pay more attention to it. Maybe work up a little spot where it has taken over and see what happens. I don't have any idea as to what variety it is.

My bet being east Texas it’s Argentine.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am

Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

greybeard wrote:

Maybe not.
When I bought hundreds of lbs of Bahia seed in 2006-07-08, to get bahia jump started after logging, it was all Pensacola.....Got it at the Co-op in Bryan. it's the only variety they had at the time.

In the last ten years yes if the grass is old stand it’s Argentine. The improved varieties are fairly new compared to Argentine that everyone planted for improved forage.
It is easy to tell by look Pensacola has a longer narrower leaf than Argentine.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am

greybeard wrote:

Maybe not.

GB, what was your plan after you logged...did you remove stumps, or leave in place? Did you lime prior to Bahia? Is Bahia a good grass to initially plant following logging? Reason I am asking is I am currently having trees logged from some parts of my land. I know the soil will be acidic...I don't plan on removing stumps. I am fencing the entire spot with woven wire fence and figure I'll throw some goats in there early spring and pull them out and sell em in the fall...they should keep the brush down. How hard was it establishing your pastures after logging?

Thanks a million!

Tim
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:I am fencing the entire spot with woven wire fence and figure I'll throw some goats in there early spring and pull them out and sell em in the fall...they should keep the brush down.
Tim

You didn’t ask Tim but my :2cents: is unless you have lots of experience and time with them stay away from Boer goats. Buy some briar goats if you can.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”