wheel hay rake

Help Support CattleToday:

Any thought on what works best, wheel rakes that pull or push hay? Or wheels mounted in back or front of beam? Trying to describe the best way.

snoopdog":1zja8n53 said:
Forgive my ignorance , is the width adjustable , does it require 2 remotes ?

On the Vermeer you pull pins that lets you adjust the width and angle. The tubes slide in and out and there is a series of holes to match in the outer tube and the inner tube. The angle is no problem but to slide the rake to make it wider is pretty much impossible. When I adjust the width I pull the pin and with a come along attached to the pickup or another tractor I can pull the tubes apart to make it wider. I do not try to go as fast as I can hold on. I found out that the rake will tuck the hay in and make a very respectful windrow. I plod along with the rake with a 4100 Ford in second high and idled down to about 900 rpm.

snoopdog":1cj3t3ys said:
Forgive my ignorance , is the width adjustable , does it require 2 remotes ?

The only adjustments on the vermeer are windrow width and down pressure. One remote.

kickinbull":2pdjklak said:
Any thought on what works best, wheel rakes that pull or push hay? Or wheels mounted in back or front of beam? Trying to describe the best way.

Wheels in front of the frame work best ie: a high capacity rake. Next would be a mid capacity with the wheels behind the frame but mounted up high and the wheels are hung down. Worst is a rake with the frame in front down low at or below the center of the rake wheel.

Atimm693":3o9njtik said:
If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

I was curious if that was typical. I don't own a v rake, but I was considering getting one. I used a neighbor's rake this year in thick hay, and it was the most aggivating thing ever with it piling up. It was an older one, but I was wondering if this was more typical of certain brands.

herofan":2k9sqvh5 said:
Atimm693":2k9sqvh5 said:
If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

I was curious if that was typical. I don't own a v rake, but I was considering getting one. I used a neighbor's rake this year in thick hay, and it was the most aggivating thing ever with it piling up. It was an older one, but I was wondering if this was more typical of certain brands.
With mine if the hay is weedy or has something tall like Johnson grass it balls up bad. I keep the hay clean and don't let it get real tall and it works great.

Thick crop is where a high capacity frame behind the wheels shines. They will rake any volume of crop you could possibly want to put into a windrow.

herofan":1xlegs82 said:
Atimm693":1xlegs82 said:

Raked these a couple weeks ago. This about the limit of what the Vermeer will handle without plugging up. It's Johnson grass and fescue BTW.

i've found a lot of people turn a V rake just like the old bar rakes.. making a 180 degree turn as soon as your done with the row and going back. That turn pulls all that hay, gets caught, and balls it up.

I just run a full spiral all the way around the field.. easier on the rake, the baler, etc. never balls up.

Atimm693":3lhi0n89 said:
herofan":3lhi0n89 said:
Atimm693":3lhi0n89 said:

Raked these a couple weeks ago. This about the limit of what the Vermeer will handle without plugging up. It's Johnson grass and fescue BTW.

What kind of tractor is that? Gauge cluster reminds me of my father in law's McCormick.

I've got an older Vermeer with the framework behind the wheels, uses two hydraulic circuits - one for adjusting width and one for raising the wheels. I've never plugged that thing, even in 10' tall sudangrass.

cfpinz":3vpvu6ve said:
Atimm693":3vpvu6ve said:
herofan":3vpvu6ve said:

What kind of tractor is that? Gauge cluster reminds me of my father in law's McCormick.

I've got an older Vermeer with the framework behind the wheels, uses two hydraulic circuits - one for adjusting width and one for raising the wheels. I've never plugged that thing, even in 10' tall sudangrass.

Valtra 8350

ddd75":va02buj0 said:
i've found a lot of people turn a V rake just like the old bar rakes.. making a 180 degree turn as soon as your done with the row and going back. That turn pulls all that hay, gets caught, and balls it up.

I just run a full spiral all the way around the field.. easier on the rake, the baler, etc. never balls up.

I'm not sure I follow. I rake my outside rounds (6 swaths) and bale them. Then when I rake I lift up at the end of the row, skip two swaths, and start back the other way.

cfpinz":2vncbu7j said:
Atimm693":2vncbu7j said:
Valtra 8350

For curiosity's sake, where do you call home?

Missouri. I understand the confusion, with the European tractor and foreign sounding username (it's just a combination of my first and last names.)

Valtra was only sold in the US for a few years, and in 2002 Agco acquired the company (I've been told mainly for their engine manufacturing) and killed them off. It's a shame, they are fantastic tractors.

Silver":3c4z39jl said:
ddd75":3c4z39jl said:

I'm not sure I follow. I rake my outside rounds (6 swaths) and bale them. Then when I rake I lift up at the end of the row, skip two swaths, and start back the other way.

I think he means that they don't pick the rake up and just let it drag when they turn around. They really don't work well at all in a sharp corner, as the inside wheels are rolling backwards.

Many times I rake a field before the baler gets there, we mow 6 passes around the outside, and then start mowing back and forth on the inside. I'll rake the 4 outside passes, do the inside of the field, and then rake the last two inside edge passes. This cleans up the left over "V"s from not having room to pick up the rake all the way when I turn around.

I bought the Vermeer VR 1022...I have a very good dealer here, bought a 504R signature baler last year it is great.

brw":185bg0u9 said:
I bought the Vermeer VR 1022...I have a very good dealer here, bought a 504R signature baler last year it is great.

Have you baled any high moisture hay with the 504R? Any complaints about the baler so far?

Thanks.

cfpinz":3vnmdovh said:
brw":3vnmdovh said:

Have you baled any high moisture hay with the 504R? Any complaints about the baler so far?

Thanks.
Interested in response also. A neighbor bought one last year and I looked at some of the hay baled, it looked good, but have not ask him how he likes it yet.

jltrent":2qiet0rf said:
cfpinz":2qiet0rf said:
brw":2qiet0rf said:

Thanks.
Interested in response also. A neighbor bought one last year and I looked at some of the hay baled, it looked good, but have not ask him how he likes it yet.

I have looked at these as well. I really like them but don't know anyone who has one.

Latest posts