Alternative to PVC for watering systems?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Alternative to PVC for watering systems?

Post by M.Magis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am

jdg wrote:Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.

Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

ddd75 wrote:i'd never use pvc or gasketed pvc for water. way too many joints.

neighbor put a bunch of that gasketed pvc in and had 2 leaks the first winter. got those fixed, that summer a few more..

i've always used the black rolls. I always get the biggest possible and use plastic fittings.

Good idea. Pressure is not the issue. Close it all up and the pressure will be equal. Flow I what your challenge. Rolls have less couplings and therefore less K factors. Never cut it with a saw. Use a pipe or tube cutter to get squared ends which reduce K factors. Keep the pipe straight as possible. You can put a pressure tank on the delivery end and that will help if your demand is not extreme.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by jdg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 am

M.Magis wrote:
jdg wrote:Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.

Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.

Not sure why, but they list that price as 100' increments...not 500' rolls.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 am

the pipe on that website is very expensive. I would call around to a local plumbing supply store and tell them what you need.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Close it all up and the pressure will be equal.
Except for differences in elevation in a static condition and elevation and friction in a flowing system.