Finishing pigs to #1s

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Finishing pigs to #1s

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 pm

willow bottom wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:There used to be hogs in every branch around these parts. Everybody had hogs. Bc they’ve been gone so long I don’t know the best, most current way to finish them. I’ve got a friend that raises show pigs. I’m gonna get 5 or so that don’t make the cut around the end of October and finish them out for myself and hopefully a few customers. If not I will give them to my friends and family. They will be around 100lb when I get them. Plan to carry them to around 250 lbs in 75-90 days. Is ground corn w/ meal/premix still the most economical way to finish them? I figure bag feeding will be too expensive. I’m all ears and I appreciate any advice offered.

Whats your goal profit per hog?

I’m certainly not opposed to a pocket full of dead presidents. But for this first trial run if I can cover all costs and possibly put 1 out of 5 in my freezer for my trouble I’d be very satisfied. If not I guess I’d settle for breaking even on the first 4 provided I can sell them. I see a lot of pork advertised on the Internet for $3-$4 hanging weight but I’m not sure I can get that around here. I’m not having any trouble selling freezer beef so far and I just figured I’d add a few hogs. Got a good hog parlor in place so I figured I just as well use it. I like the idea of having fresh home raised meat.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:There used to be hogs in every branch around these parts. Everybody had hogs. Bc they’ve been gone so long I don’t know the best, most current way to finish them. I’ve got a friend that raises show pigs. I’m gonna get 5 or so that don’t make the cut around the end of October and finish them out for myself and hopefully a few customers. If not I will give them to my friends and family. They will be around 100lb when I get them. Plan to carry them to around 250 lbs in 75-90 days. Is ground corn w/ meal/premix still the most economical way to finish them? I figure bag feeding will be too expensive. I’m all ears and I appreciate any advice offered.

JMJ I am no expert by any means lately I have been raising around 100+ a year.. I can tell you this its not impossible for what you want to do if you have the right breed and good genetics... I prefer Yorkshires but I buy whatever is cheap and some pig breeds just grow slowly. I get the best performance out of Yorkshires. If you can get milk mix it in the feed is what I do. I also put it in troughs I was getting 7000 gallons a week now its about that per month. I feed a lot of bread brewers grain some veggies corn rarely I have very lil costs involved in pigs. If you want the pigs to grow fast and big always have more than 1 as they compete on who can eat the most and 2 NEVER LET THEM HAVE A EMPTY FEED TROUGH if you have any questions I will try to guide you as much as I can.

Im assuming sour milk won’t hurt them?
I appreciate the offer sky. I’m sure I will have some questions along the way.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:14 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Im assuming sour milk won’t hurt them?
I appreciate the offer sky. I’m sure I will have some questions along the way.

No way it won't hurt them they like rank stuff waste milk is spoiled or curdled has colostrum etc
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Jmj you need this it's the key if you find it for 5 pigs a 300 gallon tote will last you a month plus other feed you will be good to go.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Jmj you need this it's the key if you find it for 5 pigs a 300 gallon tote will last you a month plus other feed you will be good to go.

Waste milk?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:Jmj you need this it's the key if you find it for 5 pigs a 300 gallon tote will last you a month plus other feed you will be good to go.

Waste milk?

Correct if you have any dairy plants they will give it to you I got 7000 gallons yesterday
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I bet it smells sweet around there.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I bet it smells sweet around there.

Strangely enough it really doesn't smell
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:35 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

I've never been anywhere where pigs were raised on the ground that didn't stink.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

I've never been anywhere where pigs were raised on the ground that didn't stink.

If you have a lot of pigs in a concentrated area and not spread out and get a lot of rain it will stink terribly. I have big areas and im not saying there is no smell but its not like driving down the road and it smacks you in your face.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:21 pm

How are you doing with the pigs ? What are you feeding?
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

I haven’t got them yet. Still mighty hot here. Still about 2 months off. Trying to time it where everything finishes around February.

How are you doing with the pigs ? What are you feeding?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Oh ok gotcha
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”