What a cluster ****

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Dogs and Cows":1hg61afs said:
.but he talked me into purchasing 3 from him that he said were just what I needed for my program.

I think what he was actually saying is it wasn't the cows but the education you needed. Don't feel bad. About the same thing happened to me when I dealt with a purebred breeder, he showed me some nice fat big framed Angus heifers in a field and I agreed on buying about half of them only to have some young heifers show up. Learned a valuable lesson as I'm sure you have too.

Edit - I also had helped this guy out on numerous occasions but he won't see a drop of sweat from me ever again.

Sounds like a lesson learned. If you have an idea where the cow on the loose is hire a couple cowboys with dogs to catch her. Once caught carry her to the salebarn or keep her. If you carry to the sale be prepared to cut your losses. If you keep her I bet she never gets out again. Look on the bright side... It could be 3 on the loose!

Dogs and Cows":3112kjin said:
I have done what a lot of folks recommended years ago..and that was to find an older established guy to learn from and gain experience. There is a really good Angus man down the road from me who is in his 70s. Always been very nice. We meet frequently, I help out around his place when I can, and basically developed a nice friendship.

I don't run any registered cows...but he talked me into purchasing 3 from him that he said were just what I needed for my program. I thought the price was fair..and I had the money (which is rare) for 3 registered Angus.

So he is gonna deliver to my home pasture. Shows up and pulls into pasture. I meet him and he says its been a tough morning. I hand him a check for 3 cows and we head over to the trailer. There are only 2 cows in there...I asked...he says oh sorry only one of those is for you...I loaded the wrong cows. I say ok...no problem...bring the rest later in the day. I also said...hey, is that cow gonna be OK in this 3 acre field by herself...he says heck yes...my cows are tame as puppy dogs. Now this fence is right by my house...and is the most stout fence I have! Well the cow unloads and he zips off to get the other two. He probably wasn't a mile away when that crazy "be nice" went right through the fence and took off...I mean...GONE!!!

I called him and told him...he was "sorry". Then a day goes by...a couple more...no answered phone calls...not home...turns into a week, then two weeks. By this time I was getting highly disturbed...I paid for 3 cows and had none. Well, 6 weeks and me turning into a royal asshat finally got refunded for the 2 cows I never got.

The one that went through the fence has been seen numerous times...she is now 6 miles away on another large piece of land...owner sees her and has her on game cams. There is no freaking way this cow will be caught up...but at least all the neighbors are aware.

So much for thinking I had cultivated a friendship with this guy. Can't say I'm really hurt or anything...mostly just be nice...My time in the cattle business has not been an easy one, and this is just more icing on the top.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Tim

Definately lesson learned...Like many of us do put newbies in a corral that is strong enough to hold a cow and keep there and see how she does before opening her up into a pasture situation. :2cents: That being said same happened to me on a 600lb heifer except i bought her from a barn but she came back home.

Penning for a day or 2 don't always work either......
I got some heifers not too long ago, kept them penned for 2 full days and when I let them out, they seemed content after they walked the fenceline, but when they came to the narrow part of the pond I was using for a fence at the time, one took off across it into a bigger 40 ac pasture and the rest quickly followed suit. I'd never until then, had any try that but I had to put up a fence along that pond because once they learn, they won't stop.

Tim, that is a tough lesson and I'm sorry for that. But is it possible there's something else going on with this man, specifically a health issue like dementia? Since you considered him a friend have you or any neighbors noticed a change?

And my $.02 on the heifer would be to take her directly to the sale barn when she's eventually caught.

The main lesson to learn bere, is don't ever give someone money for something you don't have in your possession. That's a bad deal, I'd tell him he owes me for the cow that ran off also. Apparently that cow wasn't as tame as a puppy dog. For a couple of hundred dollars you can bring him to small claims court. And old people don't like to be aggravated.

It may be a lesson learned but I still place 99% of the blame on the seller. That's a :bs: story on the sellers part of you ask me. Anyway as for the cow on the loose find a neighbor with a dart gun. Wish I was closer by I'd help you get her. Dogs and horses are a good idea as well as long as the landowner isn't too finicky. And while it sucks Tim, just remember karma is a b$?*<. He will get his.

JMJ Farms":wo1dod58 said:
It may be a lesson learned but I still place 99% of the blame on the seller. That's a :bs: story on the sellers part of you ask me. Anyway as for the cow on the loose find a neighbor with a dart gun. Wish I was closer by I'd help you get her. Dogs and horses are a good idea as well as long as the landowner isn't too finicky. And while it sucks Tim, just remember karma is a b$?*<. He will get his.

I agree its wrong but its a cheap lesson in my view.

As for karma, karma is so sweet. I smile every time I ride by a certain mobile telephone tower knowing it should have been on an arseholes property and not on my friend's. Thanks to me. God that is sweet as honey and what's makes it even sweeter is its like a gift that keeps on giving because it will be there long after I'm gone.

Sorry that happened to you, bad deal for sure. That is completely on the seller. In my mind he obviously misrepresented the cattle. He should have communicated that he was having trouble getting them up and should not have taken full payment until they were in your possession.

Dogs and Cows":r26lyxz6 said:
I have done what a lot of folks recommended years ago..and that was to find an older established guy to learn from and gain experience. There is a really good Angus man down the road from me who is in his 70s. Always been very nice. We meet frequently, I help out around his place when I can, and basically developed a nice friendship.

I don't run any registered cows...but he talked me into purchasing 3 from him that he said were just what I needed for my program. I thought the price was fair..and I had the money (which is rare) for 3 registered Angus.

So he is gonna deliver to my home pasture. Shows up and pulls into pasture. I meet him and he says its been a tough morning. I hand him a check for 3 cows and we head over to the trailer. There are only 2 cows in there...I asked...he says oh sorry only one of those is for you...I loaded the wrong cows. I say ok...no problem...bring the rest later in the day. I also said...hey, is that cow gonna be OK in this 3 acre field by herself...he says heck yes...my cows are tame as puppy dogs. Now this fence is right by my house...and is the most stout fence I have! Well the cow unloads and he zips off to get the other two. He probably wasn't a mile away when that crazy "be nice" went right through the fence and took off...I mean...GONE!!!

I called him and told him...he was "sorry". Then a day goes by...a couple more...no answered phone calls...not home...turns into a week, then two weeks. By this time I was getting highly disturbed...I paid for 3 cows and had none. Well, 6 weeks and me turning into a royal asshat finally got refunded for the 2 cows I never got.

The one that went through the fence has been seen numerous times...she is now 6 miles away on another large piece of land...owner sees her and has her on game cams. There is no freaking way this cow will be caught up...but at least all the neighbors are aware.

So much for thinking I had cultivated a friendship with this guy. Can't say I'm really hurt or anything...mostly just be nice...My time in the cattle business has not been an easy one, and this is just more icing on the top.

Tim

Tim you gain wisdom from bad experiences, sounds like you became much wiser today.

Caustic Burno":o6wouz9n said:
Dogs and Cows":o6wouz9n said:

Tim

Tim you gain wisdom from bad experiences, sounds like you became much wiser today.
hope he ain't like me..I get plenty of lessons,but don't seem to learn from em..

hurleyjd":j67qzdxi said:
You need to go over there pull your pistol on him and demand your money back or another cow.
Better be prepared to shoot then.. A 70 +year old man, might not think he has much too lose..and shoot you right back..

ALACOWMAN":p9qlqjnp said:
Caustic Burno":p9qlqjnp said:
Dogs and Cows":p9qlqjnp said:

Tim

hope he ain't like me..I get plenty of lessons,but don't seem to learn from em..

AC in our family that is what we refer to as paying the stupid tax. That's the worst of all hurts your feelings along with the billfold.

hurleyjd":3mo9um6f said:
You need to go over there pull your pistol on him and demand your money back or another cow.
Good idea. I'm sure he'll learn many other good lessons in jail..

ALACOWMAN":39uvgpk8 said:
hurleyjd":39uvgpk8 said:
Better be prepared to shoot then.. A 70 +year old man, might not think he has much too lose..and shoot you right back..

No doubt. The older I get, the more I look forward to meeting my maker and the less BS I'm willing to take from mankind.

hurleyjd":26r3woac said:
You sure you ain't from around here? Here meaning the Louisiana parish aptly called "Bloody Tangipahoa"?

I once new a man who lived by getting in debt and just not paying. He lived well in a nice home on a nice place with a swimming pool, artesian well, Holstein cattle, nice boat, Lincoln automobile. The Lincoln was a really nice car until his wife got mad one night and rammed her truck into it.
A few nights later they were together and laughing about the whole incident.
He didn't pay for any of it.

He owed money to one man in particular for some heifers he bought and just never paid for.
One fine morning the man who had sold the heifers stopped him as he was driving from his home out to the highway and demanded his money.
He couldn't or wouldn't pay.
The other man pulled out his pistol and shot him dead.

Latest posts