What a cluster ****

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: What a cluster ****

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 pm

hurleyjd wrote:You need to go over there pull your pistol on him and demand your money back or another cow.

Better be prepared to shoot then.. A 70 +year old man, might not think he has much too lose..and shoot you right back..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 pm

hurleyjd wrote:You need to go over there pull your pistol on him and demand your money back or another cow.

One behind the ear?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:I have done what a lot of folks recommended years ago..and that was to find an older established guy to learn from and gain experience. There is a really good Angus man down the road from me who is in his 70s. Always been very nice. We meet frequently, I help out around his place when I can, and basically developed a nice friendship.

I don't run any registered cows...but he talked me into purchasing 3 from him that he said were just what I needed for my program. I thought the price was fair..and I had the money (which is rare) for 3 registered Angus.

So he is gonna deliver to my home pasture. Shows up and pulls into pasture. I meet him and he says its been a tough morning. I hand him a check for 3 cows and we head over to the trailer. There are only 2 cows in there...I asked...he says oh sorry only one of those is for you...I loaded the wrong cows. I say ok...no problem...bring the rest later in the day. I also said...hey, is that cow gonna be OK in this 3 acre field by herself...he says heck yes...my cows are tame as puppy dogs. Now this fence is right by my house...and is the most stout fence I have! Well the cow unloads and he zips off to get the other two. He probably wasn't a mile away when that crazy "be nice" went right through the fence and took off...I mean...GONE!!!

I called him and told him...he was "sorry". Then a day goes by...a couple more...no answered phone calls...not home...turns into a week, then two weeks. By this time I was getting highly disturbed...I paid for 3 cows and had none. Well, 6 weeks and me turning into a royal asshat finally got refunded for the 2 cows I never got.

The one that went through the fence has been seen numerous times...she is now 6 miles away on another large piece of land...owner sees her and has her on game cams. There is no freaking way this cow will be caught up...but at least all the neighbors are aware.

So much for thinking I had cultivated a friendship with this guy. Can't say I'm really hurt or anything...mostly just be nice...My time in the cattle business has not been an easy one, and this is just more icing on the top.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Tim

Tim you gain wisdom from bad experiences, sounds like you became much wiser today.
hope he ain't like me..I get plenty of lessons,but don't seem to learn from em..

AC in our family that is what we refer to as paying the stupid tax. That’s the worst of all hurts your feelings along with the billfold.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 pm

HDRider wrote:

One behind the ear?

:lol2: If it don’t come to a shootout just pistol whip him
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Good idea. I'm sure he'll learn many other good lessons in jail..
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:46 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:

Better be prepared to shoot then.. A 70 +year old man, might not think he has much too lose..and shoot you right back..

No doubt. The older I get, the more I look forward to meeting my maker and the less BS I'm willing to take from mankind.
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:35 am

You sure you ain't from around here? Here meaning the Louisiana parish aptly called "Bloody Tangipahoa"?

I once new a man who lived by getting in debt and just not paying. He lived well in a nice home on a nice place with a swimming pool, artesian well, Holstein cattle, nice boat, Lincoln automobile. The Lincoln was a really nice car until his wife got mad one night and rammed her truck into it.
A few nights later they were together and laughing about the whole incident.
He didn't pay for any of it.

He owed money to one man in particular for some heifers he bought and just never paid for.
One fine morning the man who had sold the heifers stopped him as he was driving from his home out to the highway and demanded his money.
He couldn't or wouldn't pay.
The other man pulled out his pistol and shot him dead.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 am

Sorry bud, that sucks , maybe you can get someone to dart her , or maybe she'll find a home and a herd and stay put and you can sell her to the owner . We have one like that , we bought her rather than try to get her up, and she is content . I will never pay for something not in my possession , maybe a deposit , but not the full amount , been burned .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 am

I agree with everyone...I have paid the STUPID TAX!!!
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:12 am

i'd pull up to his gate and load another cow in my trailer.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:I agree with everyone......I have paid the STUPID TAX!!!

I got a increase on mine... :cowboy:
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:.but he talked me into purchasing 3 from him that he said were just what I needed for my program.

I think what he was actually saying is it wasn't the cows but the education you needed. Don't feel bad. About the same thing happened to me when I dealt with a purebred breeder, he showed me some nice fat big framed Angus heifers in a field and I agreed on buying about half of them only to have some young heifers show up. Learned a valuable lesson as I'm sure you have too.

Edit - I also had helped this guy out on numerous occasions but he won't see a drop of sweat from me ever again.

Easy way to get a excellent education......tuition is a bit high usually. :nod:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Many years ago I had an older guy ( I was in my 20s) in the community decide he was going to buy a group of cows (25 or so) I had on a rented place. I really didn't want to sell them but he was persistent for weeks, stopping every time he saw me in the pasture telling me how much he wanted them and finally threw out a number that was a little over the market.
I accepted and told him the purchase was in the lot. Once they were corralled I would be paid and the cattle were his. He agreed and the transaction took place. Couple of the cows were brimmer mix and high headed. I told him as much before he bought them even though it was obvious looking at them. He had been in the pasture several times with and without me.
Well, when he and his helpers were loading out (the guy himself holding the gate) he didn't have it completely closed. Those two girls saw enough daylight at that gate and busted through it.
Later found them in a herd two places over and that guy eventually bought them.
Long story short he wanted me to buy back the two he let out, I refused since I saw exactly what happened and wasn't sure he didn't let them get out on purpose.
He told all around the community how I had beat him on the deal. Charged him to much for the cattle even though he made the offer, wouldn't give his money back on the two that he let get out.
To every one that would listen I was just a bad guy but I still don't think I did anything wrong.
From his point of view it was a cluster ****.
Doesn't have anything to do with OPs situation but does show that many things have two sides.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Later found them in a herd two places over and that guy eventually bought them.
Long story short he wanted me to buy back the two he let out, I refused since I saw exactly what happened and wasn't sure he didn't let them get out on purpose.

Well, I dunno. I probably couldn't have double dipped on those 2 unless it was a long time between the 2 'sales' and maybe not even then but you did tell him 'once they were corralled'.

Why didn't the original guy just go over to where those 2 were and pick 'em up?
He musta not wanted 'em too bad.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Guy with the two in his herd paid original guy. I had no interest in them after he paid me for the bunch.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”