Ragweed Herbicide for Pasture Use

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Ragweed Herbicide for Pasture Use

Postby cfpinz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

What's your favorite?

Thanks.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Ragweed Herbicide for Pasture Use

Postby M.Magis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm

2,4D always worked for me.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Grazon, cost 8.80 an acre just for herbicide . it will smoke it. has a residual that works too,
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks, I've always used 2,4d also but there's a jug of GrazonNext sitting in the shop staring at me.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm

cfpinz wrote:Thanks, I've always used 2,4d also but there's a jug of GrazonNext sitting in the shop staring at me.

how many acres ?? I use 25.6oz per acre and get good results 20 gals of water per acre if its small you could bump it to QT per acre
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:23 pm

3 years ago 25acres behind me had peanuts , and pigweed galore , 2017 it was planted in coastal and the rains missed us so it came up pigweed ragweed dogfennel crabgrass with a hill or 2 of common and bahia . the farmer didnt do anything with it so i turned the cows in on itin the fall they cleaned up pretty good but I knew the they scattered seed everywhere . after the first frost I mowed it clean , Had some wild rye and winter weeds I grazed this spring and about a month ago it was flush with all the aforementioned weeds and a decent stand of native grass so I grazed it again pulled cows sprayed with Grazon . waited 2 weeks and everything that was gonna die was dead or almost dead. I mowed it again to stimulate the grasses . If we get some rain in the next few weeks I'm most likely gonna spread a little N and will be able to Cut the field for hay. It looks excellent
1 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm

2, 4D with Picloram (Tordon) most commonly known as Grazon.

Although I'm having a heck of a time keeping the stuff out of our feed lots. I mowed it off and then sprayed it last year, which killed it, but it came right back again this year.

2, 4D will not hurt your pasture grasses, and 2, 4DB (Butyrac) is supposed to not hurt clover as bad.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 pm

GrazonNext has done a good job for me on ragweed.
1 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:17 am

M-5 wrote:
cfpinz wrote:Thanks, I've always used 2,4d also but there's a jug of GrazonNext sitting in the shop staring at me.

how many acres ?? I use 25.6oz per acre and get good results 20 gals of water per acre if its small you could bump it to QT per acre

About 85 or so.

Thank You.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:19 am

Atimm693 wrote:
2, 4D will not hurt your pasture grasses, and 2, 4DB (Butyrac) is supposed to not hurt clover as bad.

Thanks. I've noticed with the regular 2,4d that it'll burn the clover a good bit but not kill it completely.
1 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 pm

I sprayed some 2 4 db this spring. I/am was satisfied with the results. Having a big problem with horse nettle. Other than that, the hayfield is clean. It was also fed on part of the winter. I feel it is pricey. But the clover is doing great. And i like my clover.

The pasture i sprayed with it has far less weeds than the not sprayed. It worked on ragweed too. Barely any on it.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 pm

I’ll agree that 2,4D and Grazonext will get most types of Ragweed. In fact I spray Grazonnext or Grazon P+D every year but you really need to know what type of weed you are after. For several years I had a ragweed problem that finally choked out all my grass. I had been spraying Next or P+D and it would turn yellow but never get a good kill. I ended up finding out that what I had was Western Ragweed. The next year we sprayed Banvel and it knocked 90% of the ragweed out. Sprayed Banvel the following year and the western ragweed is gone. Banvel was pricey but this year I was able to go back to P+D. I say all this because you really need to know what the target weed is. A chemical supplier or extension agent should be able to help. I feel like I pretty much wasted 3 yrs fighting ragweed.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:30 pm

M-5 wrote:3 years ago 25acres behind me had peanuts , and pigweed galore , 2017 it was planted in coastal and the rains missed us so it came up pigweed ragweed dogfennel crabgrass with a hill or 2 of common and bahia . the farmer didnt do anything with it so i turned the cows in on itin the fall they cleaned up pretty good but I knew the they scattered seed everywhere . after the first frost I mowed it clean , Had some wild rye and winter weeds I grazed this spring and about a month ago it was flush with all the aforementioned weeds and a decent stand of native grass so I grazed it again pulled cows sprayed with Grazon . waited 2 weeks and everything that was gonna die was dead or almost dead. I mowed it again to stimulate the grasses . If we get some rain in the next few weeks I'm most likely gonna spread a little N and will be able to Cut the field for hay. It looks excellent

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:56 pm

BC wrote:GrazonNext has done a good job for me on ragweed.

X2 :nod:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

BlondeD
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BlondeD » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 pm

.....I'm having good control....so far...of the horse nettle with Milestone. But it will knock out the clover..!!!
1 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”