Anyone know what this is

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
2 cows with it on the exact same spot on the right front shoulder.
I first thought it was something they were rubbing on but I have another starting with a single hairless dot about the size of a quarter.
I started spraying for flies more regular and one is getting better but this one isn't.
None of the other cows have this

Don't know, but I noticed something similar on my bulls shoulder just today. His had an old dried up layer of skin peeling off of it as well. Im wondering if it was a reaction to a horse fly bite or something like that.

That is odd for ringworm (fungus). It has a linear pattern in a horizontal line. Ringworm is more dispersed in a random pattern. Often perfectly round dry hairless spots the size of a quarter.

It may be an injury. In regard to powdery patches that peel off as mentioned by talltimber, there is a condition that I often see on cows and bulls, between the inside of the thigh and udder on cows and between the inside of the thigh and scrotum on bulls. It is a thick scabby patch that can be dry or moist. It peels off. Usually worse in hot weather.

Bright Raven":3p7xrw0e said:
That is odd for ringworm (fungus). It has a linear pattern in a horizontal line. Ringworm is more dispersed in a random pattern. Often perfectly round dry hairless spots the size of a quarter.

It may be an injury. In regard to powdery patches that peel off as mentioned by talltimber, there is a condition that I often see on cows and bulls, between the inside of the thigh and udder on cows and between the inside of the thigh and scrotum on bulls. It is a thick scabby patch that can be dry or moist. It peels off. Usually worse in hot weather.
I believe that is mites, Ron.
Cross 7 - does not look like ring worm. More like bites that got rubbed raw??