°$$_&-7-&&&&### heifers

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: °$$_&-7-&&&&### heifers

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Well, we all know the cost of buying milk for you far exceeds the cost of buying milk for a calf :P

I can deal with them if they don't mother up right away on their first calf.. hey, they have to learn a little too.. but from then on they better figure it out quick. I've never had one yet that refused her calf.. well.. except for the one I tried to graft the orphan on this spring.. she'd "put up with it" as long as I was there and she was tied to a post, but that was 2 months after she lost her calf.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 am

I don't think you should mix the colostrum with the electrolytes. I had a vet warn me about doing this last year, when I was feeding a twin that was having some issues. I am trying to find my notes with his exact explanation, but I think it was something about the electrolytes preventing absorption of the milk. He said the milk forms a clot in the stomach of the calf which is used by the calf for nutrition. The electrolytes prevent that from happening I think. I was dealing with a slight case of diarrhea, so my problem was different, but maybe you should ask a Vet about doing it. My Vet said to alternate between the two, giving at least 1/2 hour between feeding each.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:11 am

Heifer is doing alot better and is up walking around she got up and was walking around the bathroom last night and went buck wild when i picked her up and put her in a spare dog pen.

Katpau I don't know if its good or bad for them but i have raised a couple hundred in the same manor with no noticeable issues the mix is mostly water and not heave on either the colostrum or electrolytes. My vet came out and never mentioned anything other than if its working in your favor then do what your doing. Since she didnt have any nutrition her milk will be light for a while but she has drank a whole bottle and a half so far.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 am

That is good to hear. It sounds like she will make it.
If I were you, once that calf is strong, I would try putting it back with the heifer. Catch her in the head-gate and let the calf nurse on her. I bet once she gets over her fear of the unknown, she may raise that calf. I think we all prefer that. Easier on you, better for the calf, and so much cheaper. I hope it works out. Bottle calves really tie you down and almost never amount to much.
1 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Good read.
[url]http://dtnpf-digital.com/article/When_It’s_Time_To_Step_In/1936781/246968/article.html[/url]
Glad to hear the calf is improving. Unfortunately, separation doesn't make the heart grow fonder in these situations. Best to let her nurse the cow while in the chute, preferably 3 x's/day. I'd also make darned sure the dam didn't attempt to kick the calf while it was nursing. Also helps to put a tasty treat in front of the chute. Can you pen them in tight quarters with the calf protected behind a barrier?
Never had (knock on wood) a 1st CH reject her calf. If it ever happens and she doesn't have an attitude adjustment pronto, she'd be on the bus to town post haste. Good luck!
0 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Not amusing when a cow fails to nature her calf but this guy had some good solutions and definitely a sense of humor.

http://windowontheprairie.com/tag/cow-wearing-hobbles/
3 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

What is the easiest way to secure a cow before putting hobbles on it?
0 x
Stocker Steve

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Good luck hoss
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:What is the easiest way to secure a cow before putting hobbles on it?

1)A head restraint (+)
2)Ain’t got one bit that apparatus that’s called “cow can’t kick” or something like that looks promising. That electro deal you shove up their arse also seems to work. Or if you have a good tail man you really trust you’d have it licked.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 pm

1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 am

Stocker Steve wrote:What is the easiest way to secure a cow before putting hobbles on it?

We don't use hobbles but put them in a chute and my husband secures & holds a giant crowbar thingy (he calls it an idiot stick) in front of their hind legs while I work on the cow (for mastitis, getting a calf latched on, etc).
1 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Little one looks pretty happy with her bottle. :D
Don't care for the assorted commercial "anti kick" devices due to the possibility of nerve/tissue damage. Prefer a rope noose around the ankle hand held or secured in a quick release fashion with enough tension to prevent kicking but not so much as to cause her fight or worse, go down.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:37 pm

3 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Great job saving the calf!!
You can put a rope in front of the hip bones, down, around cow in front of her udder, synch up tight, real tight! She cannot lift her hind legs.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Great job saving the calf!!
You can put a rope in front of the hip bones, down, around cow in front of her udder, synch up tight, real tight! She cannot lift her hind legs.

works the same way as the "can't kick" clamp, but has the same problem that it can make them fall over.. Never works if you're trying to cast them deliberately of course!

Calf looks happy there Sky!
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”