Even a blind squirrel

Help Support CattleToday:

Forecast was 20% yesterday here, so i started cutting an annual mix (pearl millet and sunn hemp) for baleage, hoping i could get it dry inside of 24hrs....well, it was wet inside of 2 hours. I've got 130 acres needs cutting, and the weatherman is not to be trusted this year.

Well after a week since I started cutting I finally got it all made yesterday afternoon. The 85 got 3/10 on it the day before I baled so it wasn't a total loss. Then I battled rain from Wednesday on . Got a heavy rain nearly an inch Friday night.

I was finishing put it in the barn when I could see the thunder heads building. Teddered till about 1 Saturday and the raked everything and baled it. The crab grass patch was so dry that it just shattered so I only got about 1/2 the yeild. Now if things line up I'll get a 3 Rd cutting in 4 weeks or so. I will need you to consult with he squirrels before hand this time.

Well get the boats ready.....I got 3/10ths today. That should extrapolate to a crapton of rain by th3 time it gets to y'all. :lol:

M-5":3plr7uhf said:
Well after a week since I started cutting I finally got it all made yesterday afternoon. The 85 got 3/10 on it the day before I baled so it wasn't a total loss. Then I battled rain from Wednesday on . Got a heavy rain nearly an inch Friday night.

I was finishing put it in the barn when I could see the thunder heads building. Teddered till about 1 Saturday and the raked everything and baled it. The crab grass patch was so dry that it just shattered so I only got about 1/2 the yeild. Now if things line up I'll get a 3 Rd cutting in 4 weeks or so. I will need you to consult with he squirrels before hand this time.

Mine is still standing. Calling for more rain today and up to 5 inches this weekend. I haven't had grass this thick in years and I remember the last time I did it yielded over 10 rolls an acre and it was a total pain to dry and bale. I figure I'll need a good four days to get it to dry and then I'll only be able to half rake the windrows or they will just clog the baler. This looks to be the beginnings of something really fun that will surely be the source of some new curse words.

Jogeephus":chtjxjj7 said:
M-5":chtjxjj7 said:

Mine is still standing. Calling for more rain today and up to 5 inches this weekend. I haven't had grass this thick in years and I remember the last time I did it yielded over 10 rolls an acre and it was a total pain to dry and bale. I figure I'll need a good four days to get it to dry and then I'll only be able to half rake the windrows or they will just clog the baler. This looks to be the beginnings of something really fun that will surely be the source of some new curse words.

Im sure a dry spell is coming. I am picking up my fertilizer today. WE got an inch the last 2 days and the field just started to get a green hue to it. the day i got it baled and all moved I sprayed it with Glyphospate . It took a week but the bahia is finally dying .

I hope it does dry off some. Its going to take some time to get the soil moisture down to where the hay will dry and not just sit there and steam. IMO, the steaming is worse than rain because there is no way to get it to dry properly. I may have to make baleage but I'd rather not but I'll do whatever to get some hay made for the winter.

Jogeephus":32ewxrqg said:
I hope it does dry off some. Its going to take some time to get the soil moisture down to where the hay will dry and not just sit there and steam. IMO, the steaming is worse than rain because there is no way to get it to dry properly. I may have to make baleage but I'd rather not but I'll do whatever to get some hay made for the winter.

just start planting oats and rye for winter grazing , Thats a sure fire way to get 3 or 4 weeks without any rain.

M-5":1sk90hb7 said:
Jogeephus":1sk90hb7 said:

just start planting oats and rye for winter grazing , Thats a sure fire way to get 3 or 4 weeks without any rain.

It has rained every single day since you posted this. Went to see a fortune teller today and she told me she saw cotton seed or syrup in my future.

Latest posts