High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Help Support CattleToday:

100% chance of slack line wires and it's hinge joint, which means 2-3 times as many posts. Expensive wire is cheaper. I put about 7,000 feet of it up on our place over a decade ago, in an attempt to save money. It lasted just a few years. The top and bottom line wires would break before the "filler" line wires ever got anywhere close to tight. I did call them about the slack line wires, but they pretty much told me that's just the way it is. That was my last brush with thier products. It's unfortunate, but Red Brand isn't what it used to be. Light gauge Bekaert Goucho net wire is a step up, but still not up to the job of making a permanent fence, IMO.

callmefence":3lngbp20 said:
I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.
Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.

Ky cowboy":25qfuj8v said:
callmefence":25qfuj8v said:
I'm pretty sure that's gonna be a 14 gauge. I have yet to use a 14 gauge net or 16 gauge Barb I wasn't disappointed in. You get what you pay for.
Im open for suggestions in wire. Another question what's the recommended post spacing. Would like to use metal and wood post to help with cost.

Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.

callmefence":17z99eun said:
Ky cowboy":17z99eun said:
callmefence":17z99eun said:

Personally Tornado 121/2 gauge netwire. There's a slew of sizes that would work. Just be sure it's square or fixed knot..no hinged knots. Never again..lol

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.

And galvanized pipe is the same cost now as a properly treated CCA post. Cheap posts are still cheap, especially in Western KY. Wood is outdated, right? :lol2:

I also would not go with 39" height for cattle. 47" is the way to go as they won't be able to "lean over" as easily. To me, 39" is asking for them to see if they can go over to the other side....

Dogs and Cows":39vhudgv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":39vhudgv said:
callmefence":39vhudgv said:

Tpost every 12 foot . Stiffner post every 96 foot.[/quote

And galvanized pipe is the same cost now as a properly treated CCA post. Cheap posts are still cheap, especially in Western KY. Wood is outdated, right? :lol2:

I am fencing about 12 acres on my home place we just had logged. I am going to do woven wire with wood posts along the front (wife wants) and then t posts along the back. I just saw your website and the fence planner tool you have. That thing is like sliced bread! Thanks for making something like that available! I wish you or callmefence were closer...I ain't the best fence builder, and my health isn't the best anymore either...you both look like you do super quality work! Thanks again!

Tim

Glad you like it! We have a couple miles to build near Stoneville, NC in October. Wouldn't be any trouble to slide on over if you need us.

farmerjan":2p3uaztd said:
I also would not go with 39" height for cattle. 47" is the way to go as they won't be able to "lean over" as easily. To me, 39" is asking for them to see if they can go over to the other side....

39" netwire is used with 2 to three stands of barbwire on top and should have a finished hieght of around 54".
Typically a 10 to 14" space between the top two wires to prevent deer from becoming tangled. In high deer traffic areas can be better than 47". And hold cattle just as well.

I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.

farmerjan":yymsd674 said:
I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.

So they just keep doing it the way that doesn't work, instead of changing their methods? For reference, here's a few pictures of Fence's 39" net wire. I doubt a squirrel would get his head in there without drawing a little blood. :D

farmerjan":2w8tijd0 said:

With due respect.... who is no one?? I don't know em...93912 with 2 Barb's is the most requested fence we build.
I watch fawns shoot the gap between the top wires every morning and evening coming down my road to the house.
I deer will not share in a 10" top gap if the wire is tight and the post are close enough.. nothing wrong with taller net.
I'm putting up 47" right now. But nothing wrong with 39" either...and EVERYONE is using it.lol

Dogs and Cows":3fwdit4j said:
So farm and fence is a 39" with one barb run over the top a good route to go? Or if you only have 39" should you run two strands of barb? Thanks guys!

Tim

It really depends on the application. We do quite a bit of 42" fixed knot with one barb on top. Usually, the bottom of the fence is 6" or so off the ground, and it would be a low pressure fence. This is generally what we build for the folks that like to mow under the net wire, and the neighbor doesn't have a set of bulls on the other side from their cow herd. With pressure on it, it would be one barb under, and two over for us. We do quite a bit more 1348-12 fixed knot with a barb over, and one barb belly high, than any other spec of fence. Also do a fair amount with a hot wire on top so that electricity is plumbed in for rotational grazing temp fence.

Dogs and Cows":sq2c1ion said:
So farm and fence is a 39" with one barb run over the top a good route to go? Or if you only have 39" should you run two strands of barb? Thanks guys!

Tim

I'm saying at least 2. Either 7inches apart. Or with deer traffic a couple inches above net and 12inches above that. I like to run a third hog ringed to the top of the net. It doesn't cost that much. Back in the low tensile days it made a difference. And honestly, it's kinda become our trademark locally. Certainly not absolutely necessary with good high tensile wire.

All of our netwire is built on the ground. Sheep and goats and hog /predator control in mind.

I guess it is what is common in certain areas. I will rephrase and say that there are very few fences in this area that are 39" with 2 strands on top. I personally cannot remember seeing any "shorter" "field fence". I did say "next to no one" was putting 2 strands of barbed wire on top... I will make it a point to look when I am going down the MULTITUDE of roads that I travel to and from farms to test. Many places will put a board on top as there are alot of horse people in this area too. But off the top of my head I cannot think of one place I have seen the shorter 39" wire. I put about 2500 to 3000 miles a month on my vehicle traveling around to farms. I can say there are no 39" fences on any of the farms we rent or lease. A couple have a barbed wire fence through the woods where it is thick and on some of the back fences where there is ledge and banks and gullies that is more to keep the cattle from trying to roam than to really "fence them in". It's there just to discourage them from following a deer path for miles to a neighbors....Some are only 3 wires, but most are at least 4 or 5. There are not alot of "nice looking" stretches like in your pictures for us to fence... I am in Rockbridge County... it is not just named for the "Natural Bridge" that is rock... it is rock and more rock.

Any we build is very close to the ground if there is a chance we will have the sheep in it. We do not have to deal with hogs at least.

Farm Fence Solutions":2w94fcpv said:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/d/330-net-wire-rolls-47/6631517636.html

If anybody is close, I'd like to have a roll of this for comparison.
Alibaba is probably just a click away.
:lol2: :lol:

greybeard":2517jwhw said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2517jwhw said:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/d/330-net-wire-rolls-47/6631517636.html

If anybody is close, I'd like to have a roll of this for comparison.
Alibaba is probably just a click away.
:lol2: :lol:

I get emails daily, and phone call weekly from wire factories in China. They will put any label I want on it, and believe it or not, a few containers of Chinese trash with Tornado labels have made it past the US customs experts. Needless to say, it's not good. I'd just like to have one roll to stretch next to real wire.

Latest posts