Surfactant for fly spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

they recommend diesel or mineral oil.

i have been putting a little bit of basic h in with mine and it seems to be working better then both.

Something we have around.
Just thought it might be better than just water.
Rotational grazing, so rubs just don't work. Can put face bullets on mineral feeders, never have tried a little spraying while feeding with small tank sprayer.
We only keep 40 cows, thinking we can just putt around in ranger and spray also.
Just trying to figure a method that might last at least 2 weeks if not longer.

Rgv3180":qlb1mq3s said:
Something we have around.
Just thought it might be better than just water.
Rotational grazing, so rubs just don't work. Can put face bullets on mineral feeders, never have tried a little spraying while feeding with small tank sprayer.
We only keep 40 cows, thinking we can just putt around in ranger and spray also.
Just trying to figure a method that might last at least 2 weeks if not longer.
Like ddd75 said, use mineral oil or diesel fuel as the mix. I will be somewhat water resitant and stay on a little longer. Be sure to spray when it is dry so you get the best results.

I use diesel also. It sticks to the cows much better, and it seems to last a little longer. With water I felt like most of it was running off to the ground.
How are the flys for other people this year? The past 3 years we had them absolutly terrible. Spraying every few days was about all I could find to work.
This year the flys are very minimal. I've been trying to spray every other week. I guess an extreme drought is good for something.

The more you check your cows the more the flies bother you. My cows have tails and trees. I check they have water and grass and go home.

Latest posts