How long will it last?

Cattle problems.
User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8116
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

How long will it last?

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:34 pm

The shots for calves topic got me to wondering, how long would a place have to not have cattle on it before it would be clean of all health dangers that can live in the soil.
I have heard that blackleg can last 20 years. How about scares, tetnus, all the other soil born issues?
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: How long will it last?

Postby sstterry » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:54 pm

kenny thomas wrote:The shots for calves topic got me to wondering, how long would a place have to not have cattle on it before it would be clean of all health dangers that can live in the soil.
I have heard that blackleg can last 20 years. How about scares, tetnus, all the other soil born issues?

I can't speak to the others, but since clostridium tetani live in the soil, I am not sure you would ever be free of the danger of tetanus.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7762
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: How long will it last?

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:05 pm

sstterry wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:The shots for calves topic got me to wondering, how long would a place have to not have cattle on it before it would be clean of all health dangers that can live in the soil.
I have heard that blackleg can last 20 years. How about scares, tetnus, all the other soil born issues?

I can't speak to the others, but since clostridium tetani live in the soil, I am not sure you would ever be free of the danger of tetanus.


The Clostridial bacteria are always in the environment, universally, so a Clostridial vaccine is necessary everywhere.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17269
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: How long will it last?

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't think there's any scenario where one would ever have 100% risk free soil..in a natural state anyway. As long as birds fly over it, animals cross it, outside water flows over it, there's a pretty good chance bacterial spores will be there.

The oldest reported bacterial organism to be brought back from dormancy is one that was found in a salt crystal that was formed millions of years ago.
http://www.extremescience.com/oldest-living-thing.htm

I believe anthrax can lie dormant for about 50 years
I don't think our most troublesome bacteria can survive that long tho..hope not anyway, bit I do think spores are constantly being brought in by any number of ways..
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8116
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: How long will it last?

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm

greybeard wrote:I don't think there's any scenario where one would ever have 100% risk free soil..in a natural state anyway. As long as birds fly over it, animals cross it, outside water flows over it, there's a pretty good chance bacterial spores will be there.

The oldest reported bacterial organism to be brought back from dormancy is one that was found in a salt crystal that was formed millions of years ago.
http://www.extremescience.com/oldest-living-thing.htm

I believe anthrax can lie dormant for about 50 years
I don't think our most troublesome bacteria can survive that long tho..hope not anyway, bit I do think spores are constantly being brought in by any number of ways..

Good point. I know that blackleg particularly can be brought in from an adjoining farm by dogs and coyotes. Dragging bones and flesh from diseased animals
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3264
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: How long will it last?

Postby TCRanch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:21 pm

GB is right - and it's definitely a threat to animals and humans. Our builder came down with histoplasmosis working on a project in an old, abandoned building and 5 years later is still suffering the consequences. The treatment is similar to chemo & it's brutal. Another case just recently:
http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Common ... 03711.html
Scary stuff!
0 x

User avatar
Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:53 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: How long will it last?

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Not to deflect the nature of this topic but those two on TC's link, in the hospital with TV cameras rolling, being interviewed and both are looking at their phones.....really........
1 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2925
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: How long will it last?

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 am

For all intents and purposes, the Clostridium pathogens are everywhere, and will be there forever. No amount of 'fallow' time will eliminate them from consideration as a potential problem.

Anthrax spores that Louis Pasteur had in his lab (he died in 1895) are still viable... some were germinated within the last 20 years, just to prove the point.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron