How to castrate in a one man operation?

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Why do you need to cut their nuts to butcher them?

To eliminate the need to separate them from the girls.
3 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 am

Another good reason would be: To produce a quality product for which his consumers will willing pay a premium.
2 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 am

slick4591 wrote:I've only used a bander on them while they're in a headgate. Get behind them and push them into the gate while slipping the band on. Haven't had one kick me yet.

This is how we do it although we squeeze them tight and have them in the head gate, and its a one woman job too.... lol I watch for the green eye...lol...been pooped on a couple times.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am

Son of Butch wrote:

Another good reason would be: To produce a quality product for which his consumers will willing pay a premium.

Can you taste the difference? Ive eaten home raised beef my whole life and it was mostly bulls. Never thought any thing about it. It was still 10X better than the grocery store.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:01 am

You're right......... feeding out steers is just a fad.
2 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:46 am

Son of Butch wrote:You're right......... feeding out steers is just a fad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I put them in the chute and have been banding all of them now. Used to knife cut most but have went to mainly banding unless they are real small. I just let a side bar down and reach in and band them. The Callicrate bander is a little awkward. The Zip Bandit is easier to apply.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:08 pm

I’ve got zip bandits just waiting to go. My 7 month old bull calf is either getting sold in the next month or he’s getting zipped.

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 am

Is that your diversion from answering the real question? If you don't know its ok to say that.

I would just question if its absolutley necessary to steer them on such a small scale when you are going to be selling it as freezer beef any ways for most people.

It is not common for people to steer their butcher calves around here. We keep 2-3 bulls in a trap at any given time for butcher with no problems.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:56 am

Brute ~ The old timers always said that you should not run bull calves that you were going to butcher anywhere close to heifers or cows that were cycling. They talked about running the fences and wasting growing energy along the testosterone tainting the meat flavor. I've never raised one to butcher so I have no clue if any of that is correct, but that's what I remember from granddad and his circle of friends.
2 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:26 am

Brute 23 wrote:

Is that your diversion from answering the real question? If you don't know its ok to say that.

I would just question if its absolutley necessary to steer them on such a small scale when you are going to be selling it as freezer beef any ways for most people.

It is not common for people to steer their butcher calves around here. We keep 2-3 bulls in a trap at any given time for butcher with no problems.

Male animals can also have high muscle pH. This can affect taste negatively. Castration reduces this high muscle pH and can increase the marbling, tenderness, and overall grade quality of the meat. The higher quality meat, the higher market prices the carcass can command.
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am

So those of you selling freezer beef... do your customers ask for steers? If so, are they willing to pay higher market prices for it? If you put a hamburger from a steer next to a hamburger of a bull, will you customers be able to choose the higher "grade" quality of the steer? Are you freezer beef customers ordering t-bone and ribeyes from you or mainly hamburger and cutlet type stuff?
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 pm

It only takes one bad eating experience to lose a future sale. If bulls taste the same as steers that would eliminate the need to castrate if that was the only factor. In my case, addressing the challenges as they come, I don’t want this bull calf impregnating any of my girls. I do have a potential buyer for him which I hope happens. He’s a nice looking calf for the breed and is as friendly as they come. The guy needs to make up his mind soon though.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I agree from the stand point of not breeding your other cows but it has not effect on the meat from a consumer stand point on most of your basic meat cuts. If you are selling high end, prime cut steaks maybe. Feed lots do it for efficiency, ease of handling, re-sale, and Im sure some other reasons... all of which don't have and effect on selling small volumes of freezer beef.

I have eaten home raised beef my whole life. It wasn't until I was like 13 years old before I finally ate store bought hamburger at a friends house. My family has a small place close to town where they bring the calves in to wean. They keep all the replacement heifers on one side and the butcher bulls on the other. The butcher bulls are usually between 1 and 2 years old before we butcher them. It has been done like that all my life. There is nothing but a fence between the two. The meat all tastes the same. My family and friends all around here butcher bulls all the time. I have never heard any one complain the meat tasted bad from a bull... some are even maverick bulls that are high strung.

Im not saying don't cut your bulls... just saying don't do it because its what you think "every one" does. That's just not true. :tiphat:
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Steers finish out better than bulls. Very difficult to put the fat & marbling in a bull.
When I think of someone selling freezer beef, I think of them selling 1/2's - not packages of hamburg. I sell sides of beef (only a few) and want my customer to have the best eating experience possible. Bulls are leaner and courser fibers compared to steers. Why would anyone want to have bulls around to feed when it is soooo easy to castrate? Does not make any sense to me to recommend not castrating. Feedlots castrate, but not just because they are easier to handle, it is also because they produce better meat.
4 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Beginners Board”