Beginning to hate rain

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Beginning to hate rain

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 am

greybeard wrote:Flo is coming to visit you... you probably going to get wet some more
(no, not that Flo)

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... p=forecast

:lol: I got some rain and I know I spent all day yesterday making sure the generators are all in working order.. Feel free to come get some rain please
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 am

We have had over 9" since Saturday morning. Remains of Gordon, I believe. We may get some of Flo later this week. Been one of the worst crop years, because everything is TOO wet. It is one of the wettest summers we have ever had. Everything is getting stuck. Feels like we own a mud farm.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:39 am

MRRherefords wrote:We have had over 9" since Saturday morning. Remains of Gordon, I believe. We may get some of Flo later this week. Been one of the worst crop years, because everything is TOO wet. It is one of the wettest summers we have ever had. Everything is getting stuck. Feels like we own a mud farm.

I just was talking to the neighbor next door. On the soil here, you cannot get off gravel. It will be a couple weeks before anyone can get on a field. Furthermore, we are approaching those months when the ground just never dries until spring. I have great grass this fall but I notice the cows are cutting up the ground grazing on it. That don't usually happen here until Thanksgiving. I am hoping it stays dry for a month.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Gonna get worse I suspect. This storm is of significant size, enough that even if it does quickly veer NE, Ky, Tenn, North Ga, the Virginias,and other points just to the north are all going to get a lot of rain, and even a LOT of rain.
Sounds like Flo will be a rainmaker for sure.

Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina, and the odds continue to increase that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a devastating rainfall and coastal flooding threat...............
Florence: an extreme rainfall threat
Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This “blocking ridge” is likely to block Florence’s forward progress. Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, potentially becoming the “Harvey of the East Coast”, dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm. North Carolina’s state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06” from Hurricane Floyd of 1999, South Carolina’s is 18.51” from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995, and Virginia’s is 27.00” from Hurricane Camille of 1969. There is also the danger that Florence could make landfall, then emerge back over water and re-intensify, increasing its rainfall potential.

Meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:47 pm

greybeard wrote:Gonna get worse I suspect. This storm is of significant size, enough that even if it does quickly veer NE, Ky, Tenn, North Ga, the Virginias,and other points just to the north are all going to get a lot of rain, and even a LOT of rain.
Sounds like Flo will be a rainmaker for sure.

Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina, and the odds continue to increase that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a devastating rainfall and coastal flooding threat...............
Florence: an extreme rainfall threat
Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This “blocking ridge” is likely to block Florence’s forward progress. Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, potentially becoming the “Harvey of the East Coast”, dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm’s circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey’s stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm. North Carolina’s state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06” from Hurricane Floyd of 1999, South Carolina’s is 18.51” from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995, and Virginia’s is 27.00” from Hurricane Camille of 1969. There is also the danger that Florence could make landfall, then emerge back over water and re-intensify, increasing its rainfall potential.

Meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters.

Not good. They are saying 3 to 5 inches of it stays on track. We sure don't need it. Lots of hay is going to be lost.
0 x
Diogenes.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm going to have to keep an eye on Issac and also, this as yet un-named little jewel..

Showers and thunderstorms over the northwestern Caribbean Sea,
western Cuba, and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico are associated
with a surface trough and are showing some signs of organization.
This system is forecast to move slowly northwestward across the
Yucatan Peninsula on Tuesday with limited development. Upper-level
winds are forecast to become more conducive for development later in
the week, and a tropical depression could form on Thursday or Friday
while the disturbance moves across the western Gulf of Mexico.
Interests across northeastern Mexico and the coast of Texas and
Louisiana should monitor the progress of this system. Regardless of
development, heavy rainfall and gusty winds are likely over western
Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula through Tuesday.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm

They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:19 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil

Wow! Is it still raining?
1 x
Diogenes.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

Yes sir
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Yes sir

Send it to someone who needs it. :arrow:
0 x
Diogenes.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Yes sir

Send it to someone who needs it. :arrow:

I definitely would
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil

Dad told a lot of stories about the 1937 floods on the Ohio River. He was 16. He watched hogs, cows, chickens, cars, houses, etc floating down the river.
0 x
Diogenes.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 pm

We haven't had as much as sky yet but are starting to get heavy bands now. But we had rain off and on for over a week now and everything is saturated. Supposed to get nasty the next 2 days. Real bad in NC and SC flooding etc.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm

We need some rain, dry as a chip down here..did get some wind from it, knocked a little edge off this heat..104 index yesterday ...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 pm

If there was a way I would lasso it and bring it south to you and out to the dry parts of Texas. We have had an exceptionally wet year overall. About twice the normal rainfall totals and this rain will really boost it up. I just hope we don't have the snow equivalent this winter.....
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”