Milk Consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Milk consumption per person in the usa hit an all time low of 18 gallons per person per year.
Plant/nut based milk is at an all time high of over 2 gallons per person nationwide.
I only know of a couple of families using nut-milk, but sales are much stronger on the east and west coasts and mainly
in urban areas than the rest of the country.

Son of Butch":1b4v33hl said:
Milk consumption per person in the usa hit an all time low of 18 gallons per person per year.
Plant/nut based milk is at an all time high of over 2 gallons per person nationwide.
I only know of a couple of families using nut-milk, but sales are much stronger on the east and west coasts and mainly

Its my fault since I had stomach issues I went from one gallon a day for myself to a gallon a day a month :cry2:

skyhightree1":26k83ak4 said:
Son of Butch":26k83ak4 said:

Its my fault since I had stomach issues I went from one gallon a day for myself to a gallon a day a month :cry2:
Dang sky it's all your fault! :lol:

ez14.":1u3b3pae said:
skyhightree1":1u3b3pae said:
Son of Butch":1u3b3pae said:

Dang sky it's all your fault! :lol:

I feel bad now :cry2:

Part of the drop in milk consumption is all this 1% crap that the school kids were supposed to be drinking because they were too fat and low fat was better for them. Never mind that most of it tastes like crap. And not allowing choc milk in the schools and all these other stupid rules they come up with. PLUS, milk has to be COLD and mishandling of milk and it getting warm causes an off flavor. Plastic also lends to off flavors in milk. The old "waxed cartons" of milk actually had better flavor than some of the plastic they use nowadays. Milk tastes better in glass which I realize is not practical for school. But it needs to be handled better at the plants, and kept COLD.

Whole milk is also better for kids as it meets their nutritional needs better than this "colored water" they try to convince the kids to drink. Don't preach that all the good stuff is in the "watered down" part once the fat is taken out. Too many "other studies" have been done over the years by concerns that weren't " paid for" by special interest groups, with results saying that whole milk is better for kids. And it tastes better. Remember that "butter was bad" and you should eat lower fat margarine ?????? What happened to those "official unbiased studies" ????. Get them off all this soda, and artificial crap and get them to eating REAL FOOD and getting off their duffs and getting some excercise too. Too much juice, even pure fruit juice, is not good as it has alot of naturally occuring sugar in the fruit.

And then you get into the "MILK" labeling of stuff that is derived from NON-MAMMAL trees and nuts....

Maybe it's just what you get used to. My grandparents thought 2% was a travesty but everyone middle-aged or younger in my extended family likes skim (or 1%).
Looks like choc milk is still in schools? (albeit 1%).https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-a ... red-milk-3
When I was a kid we all just threw out our school lunch milk. No one drank it lol. (Come to think of it, it was often room temp). Or ate much of the glop that passed for food. Pizza burgers, Johnny Marzetti, mystery meat....We'd come home starving...

boondocks":4e1p6fxd said:
Maybe it's just what you get used to. My grandparents thought 2% was a travesty but everyone middle-aged or younger in my extended family likes skim (or 1%).
Looks like choc milk is still in schools? (albeit 1%).https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-a ... red-milk-3
When I was a kid we all just threw out our school lunch milk. No one drank it lol. (Come to think of it, it was often room temp). Or ate much of the glop that passed for food. Pizza burgers, Johnny Marzetti, mystery meat....We'd come home starving...
Sounds like you were blessed and got to live a charmed care free life. I find it kind of ludicrous that the government restricts what kids can eat at school with the free food programs. I see all these freeloaders buying processed foods using government cards to feed kids that they can't afford, in the best case scenario. Worse case is when they get home their mom has traded their food stamps for drugs.

Yes, choc milk is in schools again. But there was a time where is was not allowed in the "code of acceptable food" for the lunch programs. Too much sugar in the choc flavoring...... but they had soda machines in the hallways????? I have a friend (dairy farmers wife) who worked in the school lunch room/kitchen for many years. She said in order to meet the mandated lunch programs, they had to serve some "alternative" vegetables, and could not serve even mashed potatoes more than once a month. The kids were throwing out 3/4 of the meals. And now they don't even "cook" the food there; it is pre packaged food that is "heated" at the school for the lunch. What ever happened to the old days when the kitchen lunch staff came in and started cooking the big pots of potatoes, and green beans and all in the mornings, made the mashed potatoes, had the meatloaf made up fresh and in the ovens cooking so that the food was ready to start the first group in the lunch room at 11:30 ??? And they had multiple batches so that the last group in the lunch room wasn't getting all the "leftover" over cooked stuff, but still good food? The kids were getting food that was decent "home-cooked" type stuff and most ate a good portion of it. It may not have been "low-fat" or perfectly balanced, but they were getting some "real food" and that is better than all this packaged balanced stuff.

How times have changed, when I was a kid dairy farms milking 24-48 cows was the norm and 60+ was really big.
I saw today that herds of less 225 dairy cows are officially classified as small.

If you go and watch people carry out cases of beer, no wonder milk drinking has went down. Two cases of beer, plus a carton of cigarettes twice a week leaves no room for milk.

True Grit Farms":nsu6ibe9 said:
boondocks":nsu6ibe9 said:
Sounds like you were blessed and got to live a charmed care free life. I find it kind of ludicrous that the government restricts what kids can eat at school with the free food programs. I see all these freeloaders buying processed foods using government cards to feed kids that they can't afford, in the best case scenario. Worse case is when they get home their mom has traded their food stamps for drugs.
Charmed? Depends on your frame of reference. I was talking about my school as a whole. In my family we qualified for free lunch but my mom was too proud to sign us up, as it was very stigmatized. So yeah, lunch was often nonexistent, esp in jr high and high school. But we were blessed in many other ways.
And I agree with what (I think) you're saying--that ideally people wouldn't have kids that they can't afford, and that if they do, government nutritional assistance should go to help them with decent food not processed garbage. Or wait, are you saying the opposite? :???:

boondocks":35r2skzc said:
True Grit Farms":35r2skzc said:
boondocks":35r2skzc said:
Charmed? Depends on your frame of reference. I was talking about my school as a whole. In my family we qualified for free lunch but my mom was too proud to sign us up, as it was very stigmatized. So yeah, lunch was often nonexistent, esp in jr high and high school. But we were blessed in many other ways.
And I agree with what (I think) you're saying--that ideally people wouldn't have kids that they can't afford, and that if they do, government nutritional assistance should go to help them with decent food not processed garbage. Or wait, are you saying the opposite? :???:
You pretty much figured out what I was trying to say. It makes no sense to me what I see in the grocery store. The one group that needs the food to survive buys junk food, sugar water and drives junk. The other group buys the best meat and seafood in the store and drives top of the line vehicles.

Son of Butch":2fjnabg7 said:
According to AMA lack of protein is not a problem in American diets.

I'd read that too, Butch. It'll probably get me run out of here on rails, but I find that my taste for meat seems to be decreasing as I get older. Not on ethical grounds, just kinda have lost the enjoyment of it. Dark chocolate, 'nother story.

I find that I crave more protein and "good food" like vegs and such, rather than the empty calories of sweets and junk food as I get older. I still like my chocolate, and ice cream, but most other sweets I can take a bite or two and that is enough.

I drink very little mike anymore, the white colored water isn't any good and the good thick milk supposedly has a lot of fat. I'd rather get my calories from eating ice cream or peanut butter pie.
Boondocks, a dry aged prime Angus porterhouse steak seared and cooked till the center is 115 is my favorite. I like a fairly large steak around 1 1/2" thick and some where around 1 1/2 lb. I eat a fresh salad to warm up on, and steak. No potatoes, no vegetables, no bread just a great piece of beef.

True Grit Farms":1uvz21id said:
I drink very little mike anymore, the white colored water isn't any good and the good thick milk supposedly has a lot of fat. I'd rather get my calories from eating ice cream or peanut butter pie.
Boondocks, a dry aged prime Angus porterhouse steak seared and cooked till the center is 115 is my favorite. I like a fairly large steak around 1 1/2" thick and some where around 1 1/2 lb. I eat a fresh salad to warm up on, and steak. No potatoes, no vegetables, no bread just a great piece of beef.
That piece of beef sounds just like how I like it. I don't waste any time on a potato or vegetables if there is enough beef!

You guys would have loved my granddad. At family cookouts, when grandma would bring out the (wonderful) homemade tart cherry pie, he would instead have a second helping of steak or burger for "dessert". He would suck the bones lol

Latest posts