Got to the top of the hill

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got to the top of the hill

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Dave wrote:
cfpinz wrote:On the non-irrigated country, is it grazed year round or during a particular season? How many acres do you figure per cow on that type of ground? I'm going to toss out a guess of 40 acres/cow just for grins.

No year round grazing here. It is generally mid April to the end of October. That is what it is according to the permit on the BLM ground. And even on private ground there isn't any grass until mid April. By the end of October a person better get them headed for lower elevations. The top of that hill is close to 4,700 feet. The cows per acre? Probably somewhere around 100 acres per cow. It really varies depending on distance to water, the grass, how rugged the ground is, and a lot of other factors.

Probably a great place for rangy crossbreds..productive years probably cut short on a lot of em..feet,legs, teeth....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 pm

jltrent wrote:Doesn't look like a whole lot of timber or firewood there. At least a slim chance of hitting a tree with the quads.

There is lots of timber around just not on my place or to the east. A BLM firewood permit is $5.00 a cord. And I have a lot of juniper that has been down for a while. It is suppose to be decent firewood although a splitter is a must because of all the limbs.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:44 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Dave wrote:
cfpinz wrote:On the non-irrigated country, is it grazed year round or during a particular season? How many acres do you figure per cow on that type of ground? I'm going to toss out a guess of 40 acres/cow just for grins.

No year round grazing here. It is generally mid April to the end of October. That is what it is according to the permit on the BLM ground. And even on private ground there isn't any grass until mid April. By the end of October a person better get them headed for lower elevations. The top of that hill is close to 4,700 feet. The cows per acre? Probably somewhere around 100 acres per cow. It really varies depending on distance to water, the grass, how rugged the ground is, and a lot of other factors.

Probably a great place for rangy crossbreds..productive years probably cut short on a lot of em..feet,legs, teeth....

Interesting to see the different types of cattle in varying climates. My little short, fat cows probably don't have enough leg under them to travel in Dave's country -about like a beagle chasing a deer.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:46 am

cfpinz wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Dave wrote:

Interesting to see the different types of cattle in varying climates. My little short, fat cows probably don't have enough leg under them to travel in Dave's country -about like a beagle chasing a deer.

The vast majority of the cows around here are Angus, Herefords, Charolais, red Angus, or crosses of those breeds. More black hided cows than anything else. Some are pretty fleshy and others are pretty rangy. There is one outfit a little North of here that one one side of the road there is around 2,000 black and baldie cows all with black baldie calves. The other side of the road there is about 100 horned Hereford bulls. I think the main thing is that they are raised in this type of country.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am

Dave wrote:The vast majority of the cows around here are Angus, Herefords, Charolais, red Angus, or crosses of those breeds. More black hided cows than anything else. Some are pretty fleshy and others are pretty rangy. There is one outfit a little North of here that one one side of the road there is around 2,000 black and baldie cows all with black baldie calves. The other side of the road there is about 100 horned Hereford bulls. I think the main thing is that they are raised in this type of country.

If Beefmasters weren't so rare up here, I think they'd do well on your type of land. I know that over here near Boise, if you're selling at the barn it better be black or BWF/RWF or you're going to eat it hard.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
Dave wrote:The vast majority of the cows around here are Angus, Herefords, Charolais, red Angus, or crosses of those breeds. More black hided cows than anything else. Some are pretty fleshy and others are pretty rangy. There is one outfit a little North of here that one one side of the road there is around 2,000 black and baldie cows all with black baldie calves. The other side of the road there is about 100 horned Hereford bulls. I think the main thing is that they are raised in this type of country.

If Beefmasters weren't so rare up here, I think they'd do well on your type of land. I know that over here near Boise, if you're selling at the barn it better be black or BWF/RWF or you're going to eat it hard.

Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap. But the fact is that at this point nothing will beat a BWF in this country. Both for performance and sale price. There is a reason that guy with 2,000 cows is breeding for them.
There is a guy who I have met in Northern Nevada who has Beefmasters. I watched his calves sell on the video a couple of years in a row. Same sales my SIL and others from his neighborhood sold Angus, Red Angus, and Charolais calves. The dollar difference put in their pocket was huge.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 am

Dave wrote:
Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap. But the fact is that at this point nothing will beat a BWF in this country.

Same here, and likely true for 90%+ of the lower 48.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Return to “Coffee Shop”