tri sided PHD shaft repair..worth it?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: tri sided PHD shaft repair..worth it?

Postby Rajela » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:25 pm

jltrent wrote:
Rajela wrote:You should be able to pick up a new shaft for less than $100.00.
If it is like every new shaft I have priced he will probably be in the market for a whole new PHD.

Your not shopping in the right places.
0 x

Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Rajela » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Check around some of the local implement dealers. They usually have some busted shafts the you can get the tube off of. I have several laying behind my shop.
0 x

Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Rajela » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:00 am

Doubt it considering what you are dealing with, what's expected of it, and the sizing limitations involved.
0 x

SALTBRANCH2
Beginner
Beginner

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:34 pm

If you cant find the donor part why couldn't you cut the yokes off and then use square tube for the shaft? Should be easy to use the 2 different sizes to build the shaft. The shear bolt should have protected the shaft you currently have/had. I bought a used PHD and went about my work setting posts. It seems the previous owner replaced the shear bolt with a grade 8 bolt and I did not think to check that. I busted the gear in the gear box...expensive lesson learned for me.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:50 pm

SALTBRANCH2 wrote:If you cant find the donor part why couldn't you cut the yokes off and then use square tube for the shaft? Should be easy to use the 2 different sizes to build the shaft. The shear bolt should have protected the shaft you currently have/had. I bought a used PHD and went about my work setting posts. It seems the previous owner replaced the shear bolt with a grade 8 bolt and I did not think to check that. I busted the gear in the gear box...expensive lesson learned for me.

That's what I was thinking

If you can find square tubing the right size you might be able to cut the existing shaft down but leave some length to it so you can slide the square tubing over it and know that your lined up just right then have it welded
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:51 pm

Been on a fence project and haven't done anything to it except remove the other half of the driveline from the gearbox end. Found out why the grade5 shear bolt didn't shear. The u-joint hub was rusted to the input shaft of the gearbox's input shaft. Not badly enough to use heat to get it off , but probably enough. It took some PB Blaster and some hammering to get it to start moving and get it off.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Paulbparts.com usually has any pto shaft setup you might need.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”