Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 am

Dave wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
greybeard wrote:true or fake, that had to suck:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=a6e_1313593204

Another reason to avoid Russia.

A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.

You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:38 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Another reason to avoid Russia.

A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.

You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I’d take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn’t get rid of the bears) :bang:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:54 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:

Would rather shoot one of my Glock 21 45s. But they are so dang big to carry. If I was in bear country I think I’d take both 21s, my 40 and my 1911. And possibly my beretta 9mm and ruger 380 (as GB said, for me if the rest didn’t get rid of the bears) :bang:

Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.
1 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
greybeard wrote:true or fake, that had to suck:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=a6e_1313593204

Allegedly, this is a recording of a bear attack. Different people, but not very pleasant. I can think of better ways to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXN2XPMjoY

That clip was faked.

The documentary of that guy is interesting, even though the guy was a nut case. One of the family members mentioned that the real tape has never, and will never be released.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 pm

Dave wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

Having worked in big bear country and had a couple run ins with bears. I don't want a pistol of any kind if it comes time to shoot or get ate. I consider a 375 H&H the smallest thing I want. And I know a number of Alaskan big game guides. They don't pack pistols.

I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.

I worked with a guy on Afognak Island (next island North of Kodiak) who had lived on the island his whole adult life. He said he had shot 3 bears which he had to shoot. All with a 12 ga. All at a range of about 10-15 feet. He said it is a little hard on the nerves to wait until they are that close.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 am

Dave wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:

I worked with a guy on Afognak Island (next island North of Kodiak) who had lived on the island his whole adult life. He said he had shot 3 bears which he had to shoot. All with a 12 ga. All at a range of about 10-15 feet. He said it is a little hard on the nerves to wait until they are that close.

I couldn't imagine, a 100 yards was to close for me. Whenever a bear walked our way I walked towards our fishing guide. Next time I go to Alaska fishing I'm sending a pistol to Wild West guns and picking it up before I go fishing. I felt totally helpless with nothing but rocks and gravel to throw.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am

Dave wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:

Know a guy that was an avid archer and was bow hunting grizzly or brown bear, can’t remember which. He used to be a surgeon here but I think he moved. Anyway the bear was almost in now range and the wind changed. The bear winded them and charged the hunter and his PH, or guide. The PH froze and the hunter had to take the shotgun away from him and kill the bear. It was a big mess but it ended safely. To each his own, but imo that’s asking for trouble!
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I agree with you Dave, I think I'd like a 12 ga shotgun with a slug followed by buckshot if I had a choice.

Know a guy that was an avid archer and was bow hunting grizzly or brown bear, can’t remember which. He used to be a surgeon here but I think he moved. Anyway the bear was almost in now range and the wind changed. The bear winded them and charged the hunter and his PH, or guide. The PH froze and the hunter had to take the shotgun away from him and kill the bear. It was a big mess but it ended safely. To each his own, but imo that’s asking for trouble!

That's not bow hunting, it's supposed to be primitive weapons. He was almost one with nature, like in a pile of bear poop.
1 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Dave wrote:

I am no bear xpert but can't help but wonder how you could get a bear to stand there and wait for you to pull and shoot all those guns at him? :dunce: :???:
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Ryder wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:You have a lot of firepower in a Glock 40 with a 16 round capacity. Myself I'd choose a G 40 Glock its 10 mm Auto, but I know JMJ likes his 40 cal Glock.

I am no bear xpert but can't help but wonder how you could get a bear to stand there and wait for you to pull and shoot all those guns at him? :dunce: :???:

He don’t necessarily have to stand there Ryder. I ain’t got no issue with shooting at him while he’s running. Or while I’m running. Or any other combination that might possibly occur :lol2:
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

He don’t necessarily have to stand there Ryder. I ain’t got no issue with shooting at him while he’s running. Or while I’m running. Or any other combination that might possibly occur :lol2:

The trouble comes when he is running toward you. You just have a couple seconds to react and you had better not run. At that point the biggest gun they make isn't nearly big enough.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Dave wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Ryder wrote:I am no bear xpert but can't help but wonder how you could get a bear to stand there and wait for you to pull and shoot all those guns at him? :dunce: :???:

The trouble comes when he is running toward you. You just have a couple seconds to react and you had better not run. At that point the biggest gun they make isn't nearly big enough.

Yeah I agree Dave. I was just cutting up. I have no intentions of placing myself in a situation involving a bear, although one never knows. We only have black bears here in Ga. They are pretty scarce. Problem is, or so I've always heard, black bears apparently attack with the sole intention of eating their kill. Right away. Supposedly, playing dead is not a good strategy when a black bear is involved.

All jokes aside, if I’ve got to be in any life and death confrontation, involving man or beast, and I can only choose one weapon, I will opt for a 12 gauge.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 am

UPDATE

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Cougar ... 59131.html

COUGAR SHOT AND KILLED NEAR WHERE HIKER'S BODY WAS FOUND
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:36 am

jltrent wrote:UPDATE

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Cougar ... 59131.html

COUGAR SHOT AND KILLED NEAR WHERE HIKER'S BODY WAS FOUND

That one won't kill anyone.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”