Foxtail

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Foxtail

Postby HDRider » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:34 am

I have about 25 acres overrun with foxtail. I sure don't like the cure described here.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/crop- ... -hayground

What do you guys do?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Foxtail

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 am

If you have a good competitive stand of say fescue, red clover, ledino clover and orchard grass - foxtail does not seem to take over. But if the soil is poorer, it can takeover later in the summer. I have some poorer ground in some areas and the grasses and legumes don't seem to come in strong enough to out compete the foxtail. Late in the summer like about now, that foxtail dominates. I just mow it because I don't want to start over.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Rajela » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:53 am

Mow it before it goes to seed....
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:58 am

HDRider wrote:I have about 25 acres overrun with foxtail. I sure don't like the cure described here.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/crop- ... -hayground

What do you guys do?

Cuss at it.
3 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am

Graze it. Cows will eat it while the heads are green. Or mowing before it goes to seed. Which variety are you seeing?
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am

Around here, it's just a weird year for foxtail. Not sure of the variety we're seeing, but it's less than 1' tall. But it's EVERYWHERE. My hay fields, all the neighbors hay fields, pastures, my yard, school yards, it's everywhere you look. And not a little bit, but it's a sea of fuzzy seed heads all around.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am

M.Magis wrote:Around here, it's just a weird year for foxtail. Not sure of the variety we're seeing, but it's less than 1' tall. But it's EVERYWHERE. My hay fields, all the neighbors hay fields, pastures, my yard, school yards, it's everywhere you look. And not a little bit, but it's a sea of fuzzy seed heads all around.

Same identical conditions here!!!
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 am

Bright Raven wrote:
M.Magis wrote:Around here, it's just a weird year for foxtail. Not sure of the variety we're seeing, but it's less than 1' tall. But it's EVERYWHERE. My hay fields, all the neighbors hay fields, pastures, my yard, school yards, it's everywhere you look. And not a little bit, but it's a sea of fuzzy seed heads all around.

Same identical conditions here!!!

I bet it's the extra moist year we have had.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 am

We had lots of it this year in the hay fields. I just baled it.Image

We have it every year but not near the amount we do right now.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 am

kentuckyguy wrote:We had lots of it this year in the hay fields. I just baled it.Image

We have it every year but not near the amount we do right now.

That's a nice stand...looks like you are runnlng a drum mower like my hay cutter. I didn't go nuts with nutrients so I don't know it's full potential...looks like you are seeing it in your fields. Great. What I had was unsatisfactory for hay and grazing. Like others said, keep some stiff competition and it will behave. Never was enough of a nuisance to worry about deliberate eradication.....makes good ground cover (on it's own) if you aren't using the field and don't want any erosion.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Yes we use a drum mower. Definitely one of the best purchases we have ever made. It’s by far the most reliable piece of equipment we own.

That part of the field was the thickest with foxtail but it’s not normally than thick. Must be the rain forest like weather we have had this summer.

Anyone else notice how good the foxtail smells when it’s cut? Every time I hit that part of the field the smell wa very strong.
0 x

BlondeD
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BlondeD » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm

......I've started the spray down and renovation route......on a paddock by paddock basis....after controlling the broadleafs, the foxtail has come on extra strong. I've got a winter cover crop just drilled in Friday waiting on rain, then next spring/summer I anticipate more burn down 2x I hope
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm

Cut early cut often.

It's quail's best friend though, just remember that when your trying to kill it.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:31 am

Many a cow have been wintered on foxtail hay in this part of the world. Like all hay, timing is important, best to cut when you first start seeing heads.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Same thing here
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”