Old registered pregnant angus $750

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Old registered pregnant angus $750

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 am

I thought it was a common practice for registered Angus breeders to sell older cows way before that age...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:04 am

He bought some hay off me and we started talking. He bought them and threw them in with his commercial herd. He is low on grass so he is gonna let go of his oldest cows. Pictures he showed they are definitely healthy and thick. I could throw them on Craigslist and sell them in a week.
1 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 am

As long as they don't lay down and die before they get the calves raised I don't see how you can go wrong.
1 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Yes,
but mouth them before you make too many long term plans. :2cents:

Exactly right... look in the mouth. It will tell you how much cow you have left.
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am

If they're in good shape, why not? Decent price. FWIW, I have a few that 14 and older, are raising good calves (as they always have) and are in good shape and are bred back and I'm keeping them. Similar to elkwc, I prefer longevity, and have a couple of maternal lines that are good for that.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm

He is going to send pics tonight I will post them.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:10 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:I thought it was a common practice for registered Angus breeders to sell older cows way before that age...

What I see it depends on the PB breeder (both Hereford and Angus breeders). There are those that believe in the fast turnover of generations. Then there are the breeders who realize longtivity is what makes the commercial breeder money and breeds for that also. In a recent Hereford partial dispersal I looked through there were many in the 11-15 y/o range. I've seen several Angus herds the same. That is the herds and cow lines I try to buy bulls from. Had one PB Angus breeder tell me last week that by the time a bull or cow was 6 y/o they should be moved. I disagree.
4 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 pm

elkwc wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:I thought it was a common practice for registered Angus breeders to sell older cows way before that age...

What I see it depends on the PB breeder (both Hereford and Angus breeders). There are those that believe in the fast turnover of generations. Then there are the breeders who realize longtivity is what makes the commercial breeder money and breeds for that also. In a recent Hereford partial dispersal I looked through there were many in the 11-15 y/o range. I've seen several Angus herds the same. That is the herds and cow lines I try to buy bulls from. Had one PB Angus breeder tell me last week that by the time a bull or cow was 6 y/o they should be moved. I disagree.
i guess for a seed stock producer that prime productive age is a good time to move her elsewhere ""make them the most money""....for a commercial mans replacement 6 years is just at the age to start paying for herself...
3 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
elkwc wrote:

i guess for a seed stock producer that prime productive age is a good time to move her elsewhere ""make them the most money""....for a commercial mans replacement 6 years is just at the age to start paying for herself...

I agree. The PB I'm talking about was on FB. He said he could tell that I raised crappy cattle because I retained them so long. And then went on state that if you kept a cow or bull longer than 6 years you weren't progressing your herd. We are each entitled to our opinions. And like you I feel a cow don't start making money until her 5-6 y/o years. And that was just one breeders opinions I know many who would disagree.
1 x

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 am

Here are the pics. He also sold me a heifer calf out of final answer for $1000 she is in the pic and registered.

3 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 am

elkwc wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
elkwc wrote:

I agree. The PB I'm talking about was on FB. He said he could tell that I raised crappy cattle because I retained them so long. And then went on state that if you kept a cow or bull longer than 6 years you weren't progressing your herd. We are each entitled to our opinions. And like you I feel a cow don't start making money until her 5-6 y/o years. And that was just one breeders opinions I know many who would disagree.
he's been drinking too much of that kool aid....probably getting all his experience setting at the feet of angus gurus.... the ones at the top, of the " do it this way"""pyramid.....
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:40 am

Lrj505 wrote:Here are the pics. He also sold me a heifer calf out of final answer for $1000 she is in the pic and registered.

Nice cattle, but a piece of paper doesn't make the cow.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am

Isn’t money made out of paper?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:46 am

I've never printed any money, and the dollar devalues daily. It's hard to make a living that way.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Lrj505 wrote:Here are the pics. He also sold me a heifer calf out of final answer for $1000 she is in the pic and registered.

Nice cows
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”