Anyone recommend a cow dog training book

The place to start if you are new!
5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Anyone recommend a cow dog training book

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:24 am

Thinking about getting a dog or two. Always by myself and hard to find help I can afford to pay, or knows what they’re doing. Figured this would make it easier. Can anyone recommend a book to read to get a grasp of the basics?
0 x

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Anyone recommend a cow dog training book

Postby kilroy60 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Have you tried YouTube? Might be something on there that could help.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:33 pm

5S Cattle wrote:Thinking about getting a dog or two. Always by myself and hard to find help I can afford to pay, or knows what they’re doing. Figured this would make it easier. Can anyone recommend a book to read to get a grasp of the basics?

I'm like Frankenstein....Dogs and Brahman, ,,,baaaaad..Brahman don't run from a dog they run too em....
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Thinking about getting a dog or two. Always by myself and hard to find help I can afford to pay, or knows what they’re doing. Figured this would make it easier. Can anyone recommend a book to read to get a grasp of the basics?

I'm like Frankenstein....Dogs and Brahman, ,,,baaaaad..Brahman don't run from a dog they run too em....

I’ve seen em worked with dogs before. I’ve also seen mine run dogs outta the pasture. :???: I’m not sure. I’m sure I could teach both of them with a little work
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:38 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

I’ve seen em worked with dogs before. I’ve also seen mine run dogs outta the pasture. :???: I’m not sure. I’m sure I could teach both of them with a little work
Some good stout dogs with a lot of grit..
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Dad trained a few Border Collies and they were great dogs, and good cattle dogs. But you have to keep them busy. They want to herd cattle all the time. I never could learn to use the whistle they recommended though!
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:50 pm

I was told to get the book "Anybody can do it" by Pope Robertson. If you'll pm me your name & address, I'll send you my copy. When I ran a lot of feeders a dog was really nice to have. Now, I'm mostly cow/calf and the dog doesn't help so much. Gotta break your cows to the dog too. When the cows are calving, a dog isn't very welcome. I think it should be that way. I want my cows to protect their newborn.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:I was told to get the book "Anybody can do it" by Pope Robertson. If you'll pm me your name & address, I'll send you my copy. When I ran a lot of feeders a dog was really nice to have. Now, I'm mostly cow/calf and the dog doesn't help so much. Gotta break your cows to the dog too. When the cows are calving, a dog isn't very welcome. I think it should be that way. I want my cows to protect their newborn.

Thats One thing with a Brahman.you don't have to worry about, is her protecting her baby...fact you can sleep easy knowing it's being taken care of :lol:
1 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:19 am

Shot you a pm chocolate cow. Thank you sir
1 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 am

I have Brahman and Hereford cattle, was thinking curs. Figured they’d be tough enough to take a hit. Only thing I’m worried about is them being a bit too big to get out of our pens if they got in a bind
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers) are much calmer than Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.
The cattle dog knows how to work cattle, YOU need to know how to CONTROL your dog.
They need basic commands. You must be able to STOP them when they are running full bore after cattle. Hubby taught ours with a Frisbee. If you can stop one in mid run after a Frisbee, your all set to work cows.
And yes, you have to get your cattle used to the dog also.
We teach them hand commands, so they LOOK at you. Arm straight up, STOP/DOWN. Arm sweep to right, dog needs to go to the right. Keep it simple. We rarely "work" our cattle with a dog anymore, because we just call them for moving.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Turkeybird
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Turkeybird » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm

dogs are like women, a good one is priceless and a bad one ain't worth squat
3 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers) are much calmer than Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.
The cattle dog knows how to work cattle, YOU need to know how to CONTROL your dog.
They need basic commands. You must be able to STOP them when they are running full bore after cattle. Hubby taught ours with a Frisbee. If you can stop one in mid run after a Frisbee, your all set to work cows.
We teach them hand commands, so they LOOK at you. Arm straight up, STOP/DOWN. Arm sweep to right, dog needs to go to the right. Keep it simple. We rarely "work" our cattle with a dog anymore, because we just call them for moving.

Thanks, but Blue heelers are out. I can’t stand them things
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Good luck. I've given up on dogs. I've had 2 good cattle dogs and countless worthless ones. Spent a pretty good amount $ on a hanging tree dog.. Dang dog is good at running around in circles and little else.. Won't take direction.. May growl at a cow if they get in the perimeter of his circle and that's about it..POS
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Australian Cattle Dogs (Blue Heelers) are much calmer than Australian Shepherds and Border Collies.

Thanks, but Blue heelers are out. I can’t stand them things

Not trying to change your mind, just stating my limited experiences with stock dogs. Have tried several breeds and no luck with them at all as far as working dogs. We got a female heeler, will be 2 years old this December. Hard headed little thing, my wife could deal with her but I couldn't hardly at all, until a few months ago. She had been coming with me to the barn to feed for a while and was an aggravation for a while, but then all at once she started actually helping me. It wasn't long until she was listening to me and stopping when I told her and standing back until I was ready. She has proven to me that she has the ability to be a real good stock dog, I am the limiting factor as I don't know how to get the full potential from her. She has taken a lot of steps off of me, even with me not knowing how to work with stock dogs. This morning we got a cow and calf in the barn with no gates.
2 x

Return to “Beginners Board”