mixing selenium premix with trace salt.

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
been looking for a mineral mix with more selenium in it, the most i can find local has 30ppm and its around $20 a bag at coop.
found a bag of selenium premix at another feed store today and bought a bag to mix with salt, but i have no idea how much to mix in with it. below is a link to what i got. i have read cows need about 100ppm selenium. anyone smarter than me able to figure up how much of this i would add to 50lb of trace mineral to bring the selenium up to around 75-100ppm?

tag on my bag says 35.50-37% calcium and 600ppm selenium instead of what the site has listed

http://faithwayfeedco.com/wholesale/ind ... ts_id=1220

Did online search
mineral with 30ppm per pound fed at 4 oz per day = 7.5 ppm per hd per day
15 ppm is a more common mix and = 3.75 ppm
In cattle adding it to diets already adequate in selenium, supplementing more than 5ppm per day = inhibited growth
and supplementing 40ppm = hair loss, blind staggers and ultimately selenium poisoning leading to death

BrangusCowgirl had some selenium toxicity problems I think.
In my area we're really low on selenium, I feed 100ppm Se to them, especially before calving through breeding season

sstterry":3is4r7dy said:
Since you are in Lawrence County, here is a link to what the University of Tennessee says about mineral supplementation.https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi But, with that said, East, Middle, and West Tn are all uniquely different. I would check with the local extension office to see exactly what is recommended in your area.
You need to ask what's needed for your area but I can't imagine it is anywhere close to 100ppm. I have never seen a mineral here that's greater than 52ppm.

scf84":46laattw said:
been looking for a mineral mix with more selenium in it, the most i can find local has 30 ppm
found a bag of selenium premix at another feed store today and bought a bag to mix with salt...
how much of this i would add to 50lb of trace mineral to bring the selenium up to around 75-100 ppm?

tag on my bag says 35.50-37% calcium and 600 ppm selenium instead of what the site has listed
To answer your question:
adding 1 lb of .06% selenium (600 ppm) to 50 lb bag = 51 lb bag and 32.7 ppm
2 lbs = 52 lb bag and 65.4
3 lbs = 53 lb bag with 98.1 ppm

Mixing it evenly is easier on paper than in real life and then consumption of carrier used is even trickier.
Are you planning to mix it with 50 bag of salt? or 50 lb bag of trace mineral?
You seem to use both terms (salt and trace mineral) as if interchangeable.
IF using trace mineral as the carrier.... how much selenium is already contained in it?

I'd say you'd be better off buying the mineral with 30 ppm and trace mineral salt either Selenium '90' or '120'.
Selenium '120' trace mineral salt adds 54 ppm selenium
'90' trace mineral salt 40 ppm

combined with the mineral = 84 or 70

scf84":2h5rh62h said:
been looking for a mineral mix with more selenium in it, the most i can find local has 30ppm and its around $20 a bag at coop.
found a bag of selenium premix at another feed store today and bought a bag to mix with salt, but i have no idea how much to mix in with it. below is a link to what i got. i have read cows need about 100ppm selenium. anyone smarter than me able to figure up how much of this i would add to 50lb of trace mineral to bring the selenium up to around 75-100ppm?

tag on my bag says 35.50-37% calcium and 600ppm selenium instead of what the site has listed

http://faithwayfeedco.com/wholesale/ind ... ts_id=1220

Add one pound of your premix to each ton of complete feed like it says. Don't know where you got those numbers but I think you need to throw a decimal point in there somewhere. Most feed are formulated at .3ppm per state regulations so don't get carried away and kill a good herd of cattle.

Air gator":13ghm1e5 said:
Purina has a 12/12 SE mineral with 54 ppm.
Concept Aid has 27 ppm.
Check the Purina. Probably 2 oz. per head per day feeding rate. Concept Aid is 4 oz. per head per day.

Playing with fire. Feed a complete mineral to meet your cattle needs and your soil's weaknesses. Some of those little packet in a bag of salt are meant to fit into a feedlot type feeding of grains and concentrates. Study up.

Latest posts