Few questions about wagyu

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Few questions about wagyu

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 pm

ybnlao wrote:I will begin by saying that I greatly appreciate the time you invested in me in your responses and for this I am very grateful.

I have to say that I do not have much knowledge on the subject and I have been doing my best in accumulating knowledge as well as one of the reasons why I signed up for this forum in order to gain additional knowledge.

I will give some background about myself and my goals. The reason I entered this forum and began researching this issue is to help my uncle who owns a meat restaurant serving wagyu meat. If I'm not mistaken the cows that he owns are Wagyu with a rank of A3 and the bulls are Angus. I will be honest and open and say that money in this case is not an obstacle and the ultimate goal is to raise cows that will yield Kobe beef.

As far as I know the Kobe beef and in general Wagyu A5 is only found in Japan, but again this time, did anyone hear of one way or another or of a dealer dealing with the matter in order to import the sperm of a bull A5 or even a bull rated A5 or generally any other solution that will help me And my uncle to succeed in raising a Wagyu beef that yields a grade A-5 wagyu meat.

Thank you very much and again as I said at first appreciate your responses and I would be happy to learn from the masters who are here.

:)

Where are you located? Graham Land and Cattle feeds out about 20-30k a year. They’re located in Gonzales Texas. They would be who I would call if I had questions. Could differ depending what part of the country you’re in. http://www.grahamfeedyard.com
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am

By the way, I am far from being a Wagyu expert, but have made it a habit to keep learning more and more.

Case in point:
I was disappointed this spring when I was unable to order semen from LMR Harukiro AA 9
I now consider myself lucky after learning his sire Kitateruyasudoi is a double cross to Kituteru Doi a sire famous
for siring both great carcasses and the worst docility. (Sometimes things work out for the best) :)

Life is too short and I'm too old to put up with crazy high headed cattle.

p.s.
The calves I've gotten from the red wagyu sire Umemaru have been flighty suckers too.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Might could use a Holstein and do about the same faster and with more meat.

I think you may be better off upgrading the Wagyu by making a F1 Jersey cross.

Would be a sure way to drop yield and pounds of product.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

Butch, our bull is a VA 9. I'm excited to see what he brings to my Belties.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:29 pm

I have no first hand knowledge of Wagyu whatsoever, all I know is what I have read so that can be taken with a grain of salt. From what I understand, The maternal abilities of the breed are not as good as they could be. I would be cautious when calving them out to make sure they take care of their calves as they should and that they have enough milk.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Might could use a Holstein and do about the same faster and with more meat.

I think you may be better off upgrading the Wagyu by making a F1 Jersey cross.

Would be a sure way to drop yield and pounds of product.

Ya, but maybe the marbling will be yellow! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
0 x
Stocker Steve

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Ky hills wrote:I have no first hand knowledge of Wagyu whatsoever, all I know is what I have read so that can be taken with a grain of salt. From what I understand, The maternal abilities of the breed are not as good as they could be. I would be cautious when calving them out to make sure they take care of their calves as they should and that they have enough milk.

yup - Wagyu can knock the snot out of milk production.
I have a F1 Holstein x Wagyu cow that I was afraid would end up with too much milk.
But I would say she's close to ideal with milk production around that of a good - average angus with a nice udder.
Her 3/4 wagyu daughter is a 1st calf heifer that I hope/expect will have more milk the next time around.
The same can be said for my F1 Simmental x Wagyu 1st calf heifer that had an angus calf last spring.
From what I've seen if you're going to run cows that are more than 1/2 wagyu definitely plan to creep feed.
Teat size and shape has been good and birth weights have been 63-74 lbs

edited to help slick's eyesight :)
Last edited by Son of Butch on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:21 pm

What kind of BW's are the Wagyu's throwing? I have a bottle fed, stunted char/something-or-other heifer that's 14 months and have been wondering what to breed her to. Before you ask I have her as company in my grow out pasture to keep the singles occupied after they are weaned and moved there.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm

slick4591 wrote:What kind of BW's are the Wagyu's throwing? I have a bottle fed, stunted char/something-or-other heifer that's 14 months and have been wondering what to breed her to. Before you ask I have her as company in my grow out pasture to keep the singles occupied after they are weaned and moved there.

I wouldn’t hesitate to breed a heifer to any of the ones I’ve seen. I bet I haven’t seen a calf over 70 lbs in the few years I’ve helped this guy. And these are supposed to be “growthy” sires
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 am

Comparing USDA beef grading to Japan's system.
USDA uses rib cut 12/13th to determine marbling grade.
Japan uses rib cut 6/7th and forward ribs tend to marble more, so Japan has a built in advantage when comparing.

USDA IMF% minimums for grading
Select 2.59% IMF
Select+ 3.2
Choice- 3.91
Choice 5.34
Choice+ 6.89
Prime- 8.56
Prime 10.33
Prime+ 12.22
USDA BEYOND PRIME
prime++ over 14.5% imf

Japan
A3 21.4% min (Kobe standard grade as of 2008 when grades A1 and A2 were dropped)
A4 35.7% min
A5 43.8% min
highest achievement 56.3% IMF with 72% yield grade
In addition to minimum IMF% other factors such as meat color and fat color are used to score A3 or above in Japan
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:10 am

Wouldn't wagyu cross good with jersey for retaining heifers and selling high marbling tender beef? If the Japanese are as picky and knowledgeable about beef as they are tuna your not getting nothing by them.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am

Yes, Japan is very picky and wouldn't buy them. As I understand it they have government contracts with Australia
for Wagyu beef production and importing back to Japan with the contracts all being very tightly controlled.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:19 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Wouldn't wagyu cross good with jersey for retaining heifers and selling high marbling tender beef?

Yes, but no market exists for them.
Wulf's have made their own market with their "BEEFBUILDERS" but they use Jersey x Limo not Jersey x Wagyu
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Good info SoB!
1 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Wouldn't wagyu cross good with jersey for retaining heifers and selling high marbling tender beef?

Yes, but no market exists for them.
Wulf's have made their own market with their "BEEFBUILDERS" but they use Jersey x Limo not Jersey x Wagyu

Not to mention those Limousin cross Jersey are going to grow way better then wagyu x Jersey
1 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”