Few questions about wagyu

Help Support CattleToday:

ybnlao

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the scene and I wanted to ask you some questions about wagyu cattle.

1) what is the name of the specific type of wagyu cattle which used for Kobe beef?
2) is it possible to reach wagyu a5 semen or wagyu a5 bulls not in japan?
3) if i have apparently wagyu a3 cow and i mate her with wagyu a5 bull, is the calf will be wagyu a4?
4) can i find anywhere the genetic deatlis forms of wagyu a5 catlle and also of a1-a4 cattle?

Thank you very much

Welcome aboard! You won't find a lot of Wagyu help on this board. Not many (none) here have any? I've purchased a Wagyu bull to cross with my Belted Galloway cows that will be coming to my farm in the next few weeks for fall calving in 2019. I've done my research on various Wagyu farm websites and the American Association at wagyu.org and wagyu.digitalbeef.com.

The answer to #1 is the Wagyu line of Tajima. They are the best marbling line, but that is offset by small size, slower growth, and poorer milk production in cows.

All lines of Wagyu are used to produce Kobe beef in Japan.
(The Tajima bloodline has produced the highest % of carcasses grading A5)

There is no such thing as A-5 semen or an A-5 sire, just as there is no such thing as USDA Prime Semen.
A-5 is a carcass grade used in Japan, it is their highest grade given and Japan A-3 is higher than USDA Prime.

Wagyu have a genomic test, a couple sires in the USA have scored AA 10 tenderness, the highest ranking.
No guarantee with Genetics: You could cross AB 3 x AA 10 and get AB 2 tenderness or AA 8 tenderness full siblings.

Another interesting fact about Wagyu is the carcass of the animal is the result of the feeding before slaughter. In Japan they have their secret blends to get the best results. What makes them unique is their ability to marble the meat when fed correctly as compared to other breeds. If you can get the $ for them it is well worth it but it is hard to have a paddock full of animals looking like everything i have aimed not to breed all my life. Takes a shift in thinking.

Redgully":2hlkaxd8 said:
Another interesting fact about Wagyu is the carcass of the animal is the result of the feeding before slaughter. In Japan they have their secret blends to get the best results. What makes them unique is their ability to marble the meat when fed correctly as compared to other breeds. If you can get the $ for them it is well worth it but it is hard to have a paddock full of animals looking like everything i have aimed not to breed all my life. Takes a shift in thinking.
There's a city slicker down the road, recently bought wagyu cattle. I help work them a couple times a year and haul all his steers and opens to the feedlot. Pick up these "awesome award winning bulls" across the state. They all look like they should be put down to me. No wonder the steaks are expensive. There's no meat there

NonTypicalCPA":25b697cw said:
Welcome aboard! You won't find a lot of Wagyu help on this board. Not many (none) here have any? I've purchased a Wagyu bull to cross with my Belted Galloway cows that will be coming to my farm in the next few weeks for fall calving in 2019. I've done my research on various Wagyu farm websites and the American Association at wagyu.org and wagyu.digitalbeef.com.

The answer to #1 is the Wagyu line of Tajima. They are the best marbling line, but that is offset by small size, slower growth, and poorer milk production in cows.
I will be curious to see your results. I have toyed with the idea of AI'ing a cow or two just to raise the offspring for myself.

wbvs58":2obpxjkp said:
As Redgully implied, Wagyu does not automatically convert to Wagyu steak until it is fed correctly and for a looong time.

Ken

In general - - how does a Wagyu steer ration differ from an English steer ration?

wbvs58":1hwsnqus said:
As Redgully implied, Wagyu does not automatically convert to Wagyu steak until it is fed correctly and for a looong time.

Ken
I think you mean it doesn't automatically convert to Kobe steak. But I believe a waygu or waygu cross, fed the same as a more traditional breed, will still be much better marbeled than a traditional breed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I will begin by saying that I greatly appreciate the time you invested in me in your responses and for this I am very grateful.

I have to say that I do not have much knowledge on the subject and I have been doing my best in accumulating knowledge as well as one of the reasons why I signed up for this forum in order to gain additional knowledge.

I will give some background about myself and my goals. The reason I entered this forum and began researching this issue is to help my uncle who owns a meat restaurant serving wagyu meat. If I'm not mistaken the cows that he owns are Wagyu with a rank of A3 and the bulls are Angus. I will be honest and open and say that money in this case is not an obstacle and the ultimate goal is to raise cows that will yield Kobe beef.

As far as I know the Kobe beef and in general Wagyu A5 is only found in Japan, but again this time, did anyone hear of one way or another or of a dealer dealing with the matter in order to import the sperm of a bull A5 or even a bull rated A5 or generally any other solution that will help me And my uncle to succeed in raising a Wagyu beef that yields a grade A-5 wagyu meat.

Thank you very much and again as I said at first appreciate your responses and I would be happy to learn from the masters who are here.

:)

Another thing, I just noticed that I did not post the post in the right category. If there is a possibility that forum administrators can move the post to the category it should be in. Thanks

The reason why Wagyu cattle can score higher than usda high prime and other breeds don't is in how they marble.
It has been linked to an unique DNA sequence of the SCD gene which changes stearic acid to oleic acid.
The SCD gene with an amino acid mutation from valine (type V) to alanine (type A) is responsible for the softer fat
with a lower melting point which is the key to the flavor profile of Wagyu beef.
Wagyu beef has a 2:1 ratio of monounsaturated to saturated fatty acids which is the reverse of conventional beef.
Not all Wagyu cattle carry 2 copies of the SCD AA gene, but identifying those that do and using them as breeding stock
should ensure the most marbling when crossbreeding. The AA gene correlates most often with the Tajima bloodline.

To answer your question, you can't get Wagyu semen from Japanese sires and your best bet would be to locate semen
from Wagyu full blood sires born outside of Japan and tested AA
The highest ranking is AA 10

Takamichi Doi - AA 8
I've been doing a little crossbreeding with Wagyu and have few a Takamichi Doi heifers.
I bought the semen from Baycroft Wagyu

Baycroft has semen available on a young sire named Bay Ito Macho... he is AA 10 for SCD and Tenderness
http://www.baywagyu.com/AboutOurHerd-Macho.html

This year I used a couple Wagyu sires from Origen ... LMR Kurosawa AA 7 and WKS-LMR Michifuku AA 3
http://www.origenbeef.org/semen_wagyu.php

ybnlao":18htkhoc said:
I will begin by saying that I greatly appreciate the time you invested in me in your responses and for this I am very grateful.

I have to say that I do not have much knowledge on the subject and I have been doing my best in accumulating knowledge as well as one of the reasons why I signed up for this forum in order to gain additional knowledge.

I will give some background about myself and my goals. The reason I entered this forum and began researching this issue is to help my uncle who owns a meat restaurant serving wagyu meat. If I'm not mistaken the cows that he owns are Wagyu with a rank of A3 and the bulls are Angus. I will be honest and open and say that money in this case is not an obstacle and the ultimate goal is to raise cows that will yield Kobe beef.

As far as I know the Kobe beef and in general Wagyu A5 is only found in Japan, but again this time, did anyone hear of one way or another or of a dealer dealing with the matter in order to import the sperm of a bull A5 or even a bull rated A5 or generally any other solution that will help me And my uncle to succeed in raising a Wagyu beef that yields a grade A-5 wagyu meat.

Thank you very much and again as I said at first appreciate your responses and I would be happy to learn from the masters who are here.

:)
Where are you located? Graham Land and Cattle feeds out about 20-30k a year. They're located in Gonzales Texas. They would be who I would call if I had questions. Could differ depending what part of the country you're in. http://www.grahamfeedyard.com

By the way, I am far from being a Wagyu expert, but have made it a habit to keep learning more and more.

Case in point:
I was disappointed this spring when I was unable to order semen from LMR Harukiro AA 9
I now consider myself lucky after learning his sire Kitateruyasudoi is a double cross to Kituteru Doi a sire famous
for siring both great carcasses and the worst docility. (Sometimes things work out for the best) :)

Life is too short and I'm too old to put up with crazy high headed cattle.

p.s.
The calves I've gotten from the red wagyu sire Umemaru have been flighty suckers too.

Stocker Steve":17ippopi said:
Ebenezer":17ippopi said:
Might could use a Holstein and do about the same faster and with more meat.

I think you may be better off upgrading the Wagyu by making a F1 Jersey cross.
Would be a sure way to drop yield and pounds of product.

I have no first hand knowledge of Wagyu whatsoever, all I know is what I have read so that can be taken with a grain of salt. From what I understand, The maternal abilities of the breed are not as good as they could be. I would be cautious when calving them out to make sure they take care of their calves as they should and that they have enough milk.