East Texas hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky":1803w310 said:
If you are going to feed in hay rings I'd put out 2 bales at a time and see how long it takes for them to clean it up. My guess would be 4-5 days. Probably feed a sack of 20% cubes every 3rd day except for really cold weather then might do every other day. Plan on feeding for 100 days.
I put one out oct 3 checked this past and it was a lot left checked today and it's gone i been busy with work so finally got to check again today .

greybeard":2u3innu1 said:
Lucky":2u3innu1 said:
If you are going to feed in hay rings I'd put out 2 bales at a time and see how long it takes for them to clean it up. My guess would be 4-5 days.
That would be pretty dang close guess for sure, if not right on the nail.
Probably feed a sack of 20% cubes every 3rd day except for really cold weather then might do every other day. Plan on feeding for 100 days.

I'd add 'wet' to that 'really cold weather' part, especially if it's wind driven rain, and the slow drizzle type. Cattle can stand out in the cold for a long time. Can stand out in the rain a long time, or the wind. Add any 2 or 3 of them together, and it's really hard on them down here, as they don't grow the same kind of winter hair coat northern cattle do and our winters aren't long enough for them to do much acclimatizing to it either.

IOW, each time it's cold wet, nasty, give 'em xtra cubes before dark.

(you Northerners can stop laughing now)
yeah I had it in the barn and it's been raining a lot so i think they just lay in there and ate it while it was raining this past week

Texasmark":11w178r2 said:
Ok, I'm disqualified because I am NE of the Dallas metroplex. Fine.

On when it depends on pasture. This year it looked like feeding would commence in September as things have been arid all summer (1 hay cutting only) and the ground was just arid and cracked open, plants dying.

Then along comes 6" of rain over the course of a week and the ground has been moist/wet ever since. Grasses responded vigorously and there is fresh/plentiful grass everywhere. As a result grazing will continue until it's gone, maybe into December.

We usually get the first frost Halloween (my annual benchmark) and start looking to have to feed thereafter but it depends upon how bad and long the frost impacts the growth.

So, there is no cut and dried answer....as with everything else associated with farming/ranching it just depends.

On how much to feed when feeding starts, depends........weather, condition of available live forage (Ryegrass), acceptance of hay provided, your personal perception of what kind of condition you want to maintain in your herd all play a part in it.

I always wanted to have hay left over. Trying to find hay with starving bovines rolling their eyes at you in the dead of winter is not the thing to do. Usually you can't find anybody to turn loose of any and what you can find is of poor quality and priced out of sight. Yeah it's been raining a lot lately I'm in Winnsboro but it's still grass left I'm going to put another out this week and keep an eye on them and see how they do but it's been raining and starting to get chilly this past week. But there in good condition i usually feed them cubes or feed once during the weekday and once during the weekend. Just depends

HTH.

Bfields30":50u9v7x5 said:
Does anyone know the price of feeding vs hay. My neighbor is selling hay for 45 dollars a bale

Feeding what? Grain instead of hay? If it's decent hay $45 is a good price. The recent rains have kicked our grass into high gear but not sure how long it's gonna last.

I'm gonna say 75% of the hay out there doesn't have enough protien to get a cow through, they'll still need cubes or some type of supplements. When you pour a sack of cubes out shake them out in little piles. If you pour them in a line they'll stomp a bunch in the ground, especially if it's muddy.

Lucky":34tm8dq0 said:
Bfields30":34tm8dq0 said:
Does anyone know the price of feeding vs hay. My neighbor is selling hay for 45 dollars a bale

Feeding what? Grain instead of hay? If it's decent hay $45 is a good price. The recent rains have kicked our grass into high gear but not sure how long it's gonna last.

I'm gonna say 75% of the hay out there doesn't have enough protien to get a cow through, they'll still need cubes or some type of supplements. When you pour a sack of cubes out shake them out in little piles. If you pour them in a line they'll stomp a bunch in the ground, especially if it's muddy.
Yeah buying grain in bulk 200 a ton vs feeding hay Bales

I know some folks that feed 8–10#'s of grain everyday until the first calf is born but they have plenty of standing grass. I fed 3#'s of 14% mix and 30#'s of hay for several years and it worked out great. Bought the 2000# sacks and fed out of buckets for awhile too. Do you have troughs to feed it in?

do a hay test and see how much protein its got, if it has 7% its good enough for dry cows. i usually keep a bale out about 2 weeks before i think i need to feed hay. the'll either eat it which means they need it or they wont eat it for a few weeks and i keep it out in the spring until they refuse to eat any more. i think its better for the pasture in the long run. times of hay shortage is a different story

Lucky":16u3y2m8 said:
I know some folks that feed 8–10#'s of grain everyday until the first calf is born but they have plenty of standing grass. I fed 3#'s of 14% mix and 30#'s of hay for several years and it worked out great. Bought the 2000# sacks and fed out of buckets for awhile too. Do you have troughs to feed it in?

Yeah that's what I feed in now I have a couple of troughs feed twice a week

MtnCows93":3mmtfqcv said:
do a hay test and see how much protein its got, if it has 7% its good enough for dry cows. i usually keep a bale out about 2 weeks before i think i need to feed hay. the'll either eat it which means they need it or they wont eat it for a few weeks and i keep it out in the spring until they refuse to eat any more. i think its better for the pasture in the long run. times of hay shortage is a different story
I'm gonna buy another this week and see how it is and how long it takes them to eat it but I think with the rain and it being in the barn I think they will just eat that in a couple days

If you have green grass like most of east Texas does right now I probably wouldn't put any hay out unless you just have some to feed up. I think you are one the right track with hay and grain. If you can get super sacks for $200 a ton and don't mind buckets you will save some money. A bucket of feed is right at 25#'s so 2 buckets 3 days a week should do them.

Lucky":f79hojbg said:
If you have green grass like most of east Texas does right now I probably wouldn't put any hay out unless you just have some to feed up. I think you are one the right track with hay and grain. If you can get super sacks for $200 a ton and don't mind buckets you will save some money. A bucket of feed is right at 25#'s so 2 buckets 3 days a week should do them.
Got ya I'll do that

So I'm kinda in a dilemma with getting hay a guy that delivers from Mississippi lives in Texas told me he could deliver me some from his way back from Mississippi for 65 dollars a bale and I can unload however much I want. Another guy has some 35/40 mins away from me 30
Bales but told me he can't get to them until next week because of rain there barn kept but it's way to wet but he told me he let me know this next week. And i found someone with corn stalk hay 45 mins away 55 dollars a bale delivered per bale or get cow hay for 70 dollars a bale 4x5

Caustic Burno":2pg8xxuo said:
Mighty late in the season to be trying to get hay. Some of those prices are going to make those welfare cows before winter is over.
My neighbor told he was gonna sell me a good amount of his them all of sudden said he didn't have enough to sell me

Bfields30":leovfnvi said:
Caustic Burno":leovfnvi said:
Mighty late in the season to be trying to get hay. Some of those prices are going to make those welfare cows before winter is over.
My neighbor told he was gonna sell me a good amount of his them all of sudden said he didn't have enough to sell me

Well you paid the stupid tax on that deal. If you don't have your own hay equipment you need to buy early.
IMO you need to have at least one years hay on hand at all times.

Caustic Burno":ubg3t9hw said:
Bfields30":ubg3t9hw said:
Caustic Burno":ubg3t9hw said:

Well you paid the stupid tax on that deal. If you don't have your own hay equipment you need to buy early.
IMO you need to have at least one years hay on hand at all times.
Yeah I know I learned that the hard way

Bfields30":1toa4jg0 said:

What size bale? How tight? 4x5 vs 5x6 is half the size if all things are equal otherwise.

Always been told 1 roll per cow per month I've let pasture stock pile pretty good hoping I can get a lot more grazing time before I have to rely just on hay also
Have wheat and rye grass on the way