Easy Pasture Profit !

Help Support CattleToday:

i just went through indiana and i drove at least 10 - 15 miles of wind turbines in everyones fields.

I think those babies pay around 10k/yr per.

Lot of black gold in KS & OK. Royalties are nice, don't get me wrong, but you also have to deal with spills, leaks, EPA, County Officials, pumpers that leave gates open (clearly ignoring the KEEP GATE CLOSED signs), ruts, tearing up your pastures, you have to have an iron clad legal contract, deal with utility companies, moving cattle at the most inconvenient time, fences down/broken and rig workers of questionable character (including records). Just to name a few. ;-)

TC-around here gates are out of the question when it comes to oil pumpers. Cattle guards only. Those guys will not get out of a truck to open or close a gate. ain't gonna happen. I don't have a corral in any pasture where there is a cattle guard. Too much risk of cattle theft. I have a portable corral that's set up, used to move the cows, then folded up and brought home. Give those guys an inch and they'll take a mile. They'll throw trash out in the pasture. Some of those rubber pipe plugs really attract the interest of the cows. I've followed one while she was chewing on it and finally dropped the thing. If she would have swallowed it, I believe it would have eventually killed her. I carry a rifle when I'm checking cattle in those pastures 'cause like you said, you've got no idea who you might encounter. Lots of wind towers to the east of me and while I'm not crazy about them, they appear to carry less risk as far as dealing with people. We did have one implode and burn up. Set some pastures on fire. Guess you gotta pick your poison.

Chocolate Cow2":1pvcghog said:
TC-around here gates are out of the question when it comes to oil pumpers. Cattle guards only. Those guys will not get out of a truck to open or close a gate. ain't gonna happen. I don't have a corral in any pasture where there is a cattle guard. Too much risk of cattle theft. I have a portable corral that's set up, used to move the cows, then folded up and brought home. Give those guys an inch and they'll take a mile. They'll throw trash out in the pasture. Some of those rubber pipe plugs really attract the interest of the cows. I've followed one while she was chewing on it and finally dropped the thing. If she would have swallowed it, I believe it would have eventually killed her. I carry a rifle when I'm checking cattle in those pastures 'cause like you said, you've got no idea who you might encounter. Lots of wind towers to the east of me and while I'm not crazy about them, they appear to carry less risk as far as dealing with people. We did have one implode and burn up. Set some pastures on fire. Guess you gotta pick your poison.
I have a cow that MUST have eaten several dozen electric fence insulators in her life.. I had a hot wire along the top of a fence, had too many problems with it so removed the wire.. she'll go along and pull the insulators off them, no doubt with the nail in them still... step in posts she'll pull the insulators off if she's given a half a chance.. she's 12 years old and drives me nuts.

Chocolate Cow2":3am41kyn said:
The trash!!! :mad: :mad: Went out the gate in the south pasture a couple weeks ago & discovered tracks in the mud all along the road. Immediately did a complete inventory of the herd & all were accounted for so evidently the gate was left open, they grazed along the road & eventually went back into the pasture (my girls know they've got a good thing going on here). Sent pics to the pumper & busted his chops. Is this a regular occurrence? Just happened to be muddy that day so the evidence was clear. So now there's a lock on that gate, mainly as a reminder for him & anyone else that needs access to SHUT it. They wanted to install cattle guards and we refused for the same security reasons but damned if you do, damned if you don't. :bang:

Timely subject matter! Just got back from my morning rounds and discovered 2 gates open and a crew moving in a new rig. After 8" of rain. And a bunch of cows RIGHT THERE. Read them for filth, felt somewhat safe with my .223 in full view, shut the gates, called the pumper, refrained from using any profanities.

"Easy" Pasture Profit is subjective :roll:

TCRanch":2y8p2wt3 said:
Timely subject matter! Just got back from my morning rounds and discovered 2 gates open and a crew moving in a new rig. After 8" of rain. And a bunch of cows RIGHT THERE. Read them for filth, felt somewhat safe with my .223 in full view, shut the gates, called the pumper, refrained from using any profanities.

Ya know...they can put a gate and lock on a cattleguard......a good many of them around here.

1982vett":2jx6uzn3 said:
TCRanch":2jx6uzn3 said:

Ya know...they can put a gate and lock on a cattleguard......a good many of them around here.
If we knew then what we know now we would have insisted on both in the contract. Cattle guards would now be at our expense but we're considering at least one, maybe 2.

I easily make 200 a year picking up black walnuts, which usually takes me approximately 72 hrs, "we're in the money"!

I'll stick with hunters and pine straw harvesters, at least I can tell them to get the heck off my property. A cell tower by the road would sure be nice through.

the electric guys showed up here the other day and i couldn't even stand that.. wouldn't be able to deal with other people on my property.

TCRanch":1668t7vh said:
1982vett":1668t7vh said:
TCRanch":1668t7vh said:

If we knew then what we know now we would have insisted on both in the contract. Cattle guards would now be at our expense but we're considering at least one, maybe 2.
Before you go and spend any of your money at least ask them. I've got worlds of stuff done long after executing a lease just by asking. Most good companies are more than happy to maintain a good relationship with the property owner. Don't go telling them what you'll do though.....they might show you. :nod:

TexasBred":1ug5fowu said:
TCRanch":1ug5fowu said:
1982vett":1ug5fowu said:
Before you go and spend any of your money at least ask them. I've got worlds of stuff done long after executing a lease just by asking. Most good companies are more than happy to maintain a good relationship with the property owner. Don't go telling them what you'll do though.....they might show you. :nod:
Yup, worth asking. Especially since we just discovered they moved/used a huge pile of our dirt to re-build the berm. And it was the good stuff!

Latest posts