SSC Shell Shocked 44B

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

SSC Shell Shocked 44B

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 am

Fire Sweep has put me onto a bull to add to my Arsenal. I am dropping Broadway and will be more careful with Upgrade. I am trying to moderate my BW but don't want to go too far in the opposite direction. I would like to keep my average at 84 pounds and not go over 100 on the maximum and 65 on the minimum.

Shell Shocked 44B is marketed from Doug Parke, Paris, Kentucky.

Homozygous Polled
Heterzygous Black

Shell Shocked was the Grand Champion Simmental Bull at the 2015 KILE and the 2016 PA State Farm Show. He was the high selling bull of the 2016 Gettysburg Stars and Stripes Sale.

1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: SSC Shell Shocked 44B

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 am

I like that he's Homozygous Polled but not crazy about him being Heterzygous Black.
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 am

Looks stout, but I wish they hadn't had him in deep straw.. AGAIN..
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am

Nesikep wrote:Looks stout, but I wish they hadn't had him in deep straw.. AGAIN..

It is part of the wardrobe. You got to wear it.
0 x
Diogenes.

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Looks good. From my limited knowledge of Sim epds he would be a calving ease bull that offers moderate to sub average growth.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Blaze face would get him a look here, but his epd profile would pretty rapidly weed him out. Yeah, he's got great calving ease, decent maternal calving ease, but he's bottom of the barrel in virtually every other category that we use as selection criteria for our herd. But... we're breeding for performance, not the showring.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Blaze face would get him a look here, but his epd profile would pretty rapidly weed him out. Yeah, he's got great calving ease, decent maternal calving ease, but he's bottom of the barrel in virtually every other category that we use as selection criteria for our herd. But... we're breeding for performance, not the showring.

Lucky, HPF Optimizer is number 1 in WW and YW. Are you using Optimizer?
0 x
Diogenes.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 pm

No.
Simmentals in the tank right now are JF Milestone 999W(higher WW than Optimizer) and ASR Longevity Y184. And a few straws of fullblood Fleckvieh (SFJ Alta's Sting 116Y)...for use on some special older top-end cows.
Until we use up what we've got on hand, we're probably not buying any more semen... only have just so many cows, and we're at a point now that if we keep a heifer, a producing cow has to leave... so they've gotta be a better than average cow to warrant AI service anymore.
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm

First thing I notice going thru reported data. He has no reported WW or YW, red flag number 1, another is EPD growth profile. Tho His CED is 4.3 higher than parent average, genomics do that? Because I don't think his 73 registered progeny have........the next red flag I have is dam only has 3 natural calves. Along with another 34 as a donor cow, and of them calves 3 weaning weights have been collected and 0 yearling. I don't know I can buy into him being anything more than a show bull. Which is ok. I'm starting to believe his no growth tho, probably no sense in weighing them if the are little at weaning......
2 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:16 pm

BR, I watched him sell in person, and have seen a few calves in person as well as having a few myself. I also have a few due in February. I am friends with the guy who bred him, and all his cattle are good functional and fancy.

I think Shell Shocked is good, thick, and moves out well. His birthweights are low and on my cattle he has certainly added style, depth, and a clean front.
2 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

A Good Choice! I like the Shell Shock Bull the pedigree and the progeny I've seen. I like that he is Hetero. Black and Homo Polled. Never was on the Broadway bandwagon like so many others for some reason or the other.
2 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:28 pm

That is one of the most unimpressive sets of EPDs I have seen in a while....(coming from someone who has no interest in Simmentals and does not use EPDs as my first selection tool).
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm

He is not a show bull, he is a calving ease bull. You use him to lower your birth weights. Ron is only trying to lower his birth weights, thus why I suggested that he use him. Here is the data I have on him from personal use:

Bull calf, born Feb 2018. 58 pounds (third calf cow). WW at 163 days, 533 pounds (no creep). Sept 25th weight (7 months old) 704 pounds. He now outweights a bull calf that was born on the same day, but birth weight of 94 pounds.

Heifer calf, born June 3rd, 51 pounds (cow has had lots of calves). Pictured at 90 days of age on dam. Still not weaned (only 4 months old).

This fall, we have had one heifer calve so far bred to him; 46.8 pounds and a bull.

The calves come about a week early and small. I did not like them in the Spring, but those spring calves are impressive now. I tried him on cows before I used him confidently on heifers. I can now say I agree with the calving ease data, but not the growth data. My two older ones seem to be growing well. That Feb bull calf was the favorite at farm fest, and I had several people try to buy him. He was only on display for one day, after I sold Ron's bull, because I wanted to get him out and tied for a day.

Like him or not, I think he is a better option than what I was using for calving ease; W/C Lockdown. He is a purebred, and so far the calves seem to grow better. The downfall is that he is not passing on that white face (none of mine have it yet).
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:55 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I like that he's Homozygous Polled but not crazy about him being Heterzygous Black.

I had so many people ask me at farm fest if I had any red bulls at home (the answer is no). Each year, if I bring a red bull, he almost always sells FIRST! Crazy, I know. I had a pastor show up, who bought a set of red twin bulls from me years ago. He told me he was still using those red bulls on Red Angus cows, and he had many daughters of those bulls in production. They have been breeding for him since 2012. He wanted a replacement... I have none.
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I think Fire Sweep has made a good recommendation.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Breeds Board”