Bull vs heifer weight

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Bull vs heifer weight

Postby jwimberly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:14 am

I've got a few yearling heifers that I'll need to get bred in the next couple months. I know they're too small right now for my herd bull at 1750 pounds. In the reading I've done I've seen recommendations from 50% to 80% of his weight. Well that's a pretty wide range at 875 to 1400 pounds. What do you guys usually shoot for? His birth weights on my commercial cows have been 60-90 pound range.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull vs heifer weight

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:24 am

What is your concern? If they are old enough and as big as you desire them to be then I wouldn't be concerned about the bull weight.
In nature the biggest, strongest male gets the female.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:06 am

I’ve never heard of a formula used to correlate the bull’s weight to the heifers.

Are you thinking about the heifer’s weight at breeding as it relates to her projected mature weight? There are formulas on that.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 am

I'd say go for it if you feel your heifers are old/big enough. I've never heard of a bull formula either. What type of cattle are they? Good luck.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:49 am

I always heard you need to let heifers get to 65 to 70% of their mature weight before you breed.
1 x

jwimberly
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jwimberly » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 am

Coosh71 wrote:I'd say go for it if you feel your heifers are old/big enough. I've never heard of a bull formula either. What type of cattle are they? Good luck.

They are just black commercial heifers. My main concern is the Hereford bull's weight on an 850 # heifer. His calves are pretty consistent at 60-90 pounds so not too worried with calve size just physical size. He won't break down a young heifer at over double their weight?
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 am

Once heifers are of desired age/size put them with the bull. Thats it, thats all.

I have had 4-5 month old calves get bred by herd bulls.

If you're 250 would you have a problem laying it to a 125lb woman?
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

It really depends on the bull, some bulls put a lot of their weight on a cow, others don't.. My heifers were somewhere in the 8-900 lb range and the bull is 2400.. no problem at all with him.
3 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Redgully » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 am

Ive found if there is a few to breed the bull wont spend a lot of time with each heifer, is on and off quick and gets the job done. Sometimes cows can be more of a problem chasing and mounting a heifer she has taken a shine to until the heifer can barely stand.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:00 pm

I have one heifer that just always stands.. bull doesn't pay any attention to her but the other cows take advantage of it
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:If you're 250 would you have a problem laying it to a 125 lb woman?

consensual....... yeah
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 pm

jwimberly wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:I'd say go for it if you feel your heifers are old/big enough. I've never heard of a bull formula either. What type of cattle are they? Good luck.

They are just black commercial heifers. My main concern is the Hereford bull's weight on an 850 # heifer. His calves are pretty consistent at 60-90 pounds so not too worried with calve size just physical size. He won't break down a young heifer at over double their weight?

Like others have said. I wouldn't worry about that. If we all had to factor in herd sure weightvs heifer/cow weight we would all have 1200# herd sires and would ALL be broke as a joke lol. Don't over think it. Yes there is a chance when breeding heifers, that they may pull a muscle or tweak a hip. But, that's also just a "good" Saturday night...Put the bull on when you are ready for however long you choose and see how it goes.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:37 am

We had 2300lbs bull breed some heifers last summer on accident and it was just fine.
0 x

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:34 am

We had a bull that would lift both rear feet off the ground when he "hunched" them. Used him to breed a heifer once and he rode her straight to the ground a few times before I separated them. Cows handled him fine.

I'd say it all depends on the bulls technique.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

Many people worry about using a "mature" bull on a heifer. I think mature cows do more potential damage to a standing heifer than any bull. A cow will mount and stay on forever. A bull gets up, does his job & gets off.
The only reason to be concerned with size of heifer is projected calving size - big enough.
Yes, some bulls are harder than others. But, he is also harder on cows. Might not want to keep a bull around like that.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”