Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am

To run our place off generators it averaged one gallon of fuel per hour. Buying electric from the power company never cost more than $10 dollars a day. Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.
4 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 am

True Grit Farms wrote:To run our place off generators it averaged one gallon of fuel per hour. Buying electric from the power company never cost more than $10 dollars a day. Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.

In Rita I burnt 400 bucks of diesel a month generating electricity.
Get your mind right real quick.
It’s not over either Grit as most generators don’t produce clean electricity. Replaced several major appliances when it was over.
Got a Generac after Rita.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 pm

they just lowered our electric rates to 4.8 cents/kwh .. so cheap.
1 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote: Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.

Yes it does. Back in the dark age (literally) I lived without electricity AND phone service for 16 years on a remote ranch. Always got a chuckle when "town" people whined about power outages for a few measly days. Or better still, waxed poetic about how great it would be not to have a phone intruding on their life. The latter light years before the advent of the "modern" cell phones. Everything ran on propane including the fridge and house lights which were backed up with a slew of kerosene lamps.
5 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:To run our place off generators it averaged one gallon of fuel per hour. Buying electric from the power company never cost more than $10 dollars a day. Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.

It’s not over either Grit as most generators don’t produce clean electricity. Replaced several major appliances when it was over.

Our average, monthly, electric bill is in the $70.00 range. When the power has gone out, in the past, for several days at a time, it has cost us and average of $15.00 per day to run the generator, and that's not running it for 24 hrs, but running it for about 8 (total) hours. I don't remember the last time I complained about our electric bill. We have neighbors and friends whose monthly bill averages $125.00 or more.

Running a place on generators, can be costly.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Our average, monthly, electric bill is in the $70.00 range. When the power has gone out, in the past, for several days at a time, it has cost us and average of $15.00 per day to run the generator, and that's not running it for 24 hrs, but running it for about 8 (total) hours. I don't remember the last time I complained about our electric bill. We have neighbors and friends whose monthly bill averages $125.00 or more.

Your a lot better at conserving energy then we are. We're lucky if we adverage $70 a month at the barn for electric. Around $100 is our cheapest electric bill ever, if it's really cold we've had them as high as $280.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Your a lot better at conserving energy then we are. We're lucky if we adverage $70 a month at the barn for electric. Around $100 is our cheapest electric bill ever, if it's really cold we've had them as high as $280.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $70 electric bill! Like Grit, that's what we average at the barn. House is generally $250 and we keep the air at 78 summer, 68 winter, fireplaces, hot water, range are all on propane. We're in the process of having a whole-house generator installed and running lines to the barn.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

My barn and shop average 70.00.
A 2400 square foot house averages 180.00 a month @ 76 degrees.
The house is R30 insulated .
We are on co-op power cost @ .10 kWh.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Well, for starters, this house does not have central air/heat. Heat is provided by a wood-stove. We do not have baseboard heaters. There's 1 ac unit, sticking out of a wall, 1st time we used it was summer of 2016, for about an hour. The thing is old & loud and we're too chintzy to replace it. We use fans. The range/oven are electric. There's only 1 bathroom. The water heater is, maybe, 20 gallon (its a small one). Most nights, there's only 1 light on. We've changed out a bunch of bulbs to LED's (when on sale).
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Been without power since the storm and the irony of it all is my neighbor and I were talking today when the mailman pulled up and delivered our power bills. We both just laughed.
3 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Met a guy today here in Middle Georgia that works with Oncor, out of Dallas, Texas. Said he was from Paris, Texas. He was up here with a lot of other Oncor trucks working on utility lines damaged in the storm. That’s a long way from home. I guess people have responded from all over the country. I’m sure they are being compensated but it’s still a big sacrifice. Thanked him for his help. And thanks to all the others. And I can’t remember his name.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:05 pm

TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $70 electric bill! Like Grit, that's what we average at the barn. House is generally $250 and we keep the air at 78 summer, 68 winter, fireplaces, hot water, range are all on propane. We're in the process of having a whole-house generator installed and running lines to the barn.
the monthly electric bill at the dairy farm would scare you!
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

Huh? In Georgia?

Our power bill is about $70/month (USD) for the house and the same again for the shop.. perhaps a little more if we have the walk in cooler going (that's on the house power) and if I have some major welding project.. This month we heated the shop floor to about 120F for 10 days to dry our sunflowers on.. that'll certainly add to this bill.
No AC in the summer, wood heat in the winter.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:33 am

My Aug/Sept billing cycle was 226.63, which mostly from ac use during hot days of August just for the house.... I don't have a barn to cool or heat. Prev bill was $193.20.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:06 am

When Hurricane Ike wiped out all the lines between Winnie Tx and Bolivar Peninsulas, a long line of bucket trucks appeared one day. The were some outfit called BBC Electric, out of Joplin Mo.
The whole line(located on the right hand side of 124) was down. They just moved over to the other side of the road and built a whole new line all the way to the peninsula, then down the peninsula to Port Bolivar, and that side of 124 is marsh.
Pole plantin demons these guys were...they weren't playing around.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Coffee Shop”