Hurricane Michael put electric cost in perspective.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
To run our place off generators it averaged one gallon of fuel per hour. Buying electric from the power company never cost more than $10 dollars a day. Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.

True Grit Farms":lu56mfn6 said:
To run our place off generators it averaged one gallon of fuel per hour. Buying electric from the power company never cost more than $10 dollars a day. Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.

In Rita I burnt 400 bucks of diesel a month generating electricity.
Get your mind right real quick.
It's not over either Grit as most generators don't produce clean electricity. Replaced several major appliances when it was over.
Got a Generac after Rita.

they just lowered our electric rates to 4.8 cents/kwh .. so cheap.

True Grit Farms":3ndkh0gk said:
Living without electricity for any amount of time makes things a lot more difficult.
Yes it does. Back in the dark age (literally) I lived without electricity AND phone service for 16 years on a remote ranch. Always got a chuckle when "town" people whined about power outages for a few measly days. Or better still, waxed poetic about how great it would be not to have a phone intruding on their life. The latter light years before the advent of the "modern" cell phones. Everything ran on propane including the fridge and house lights which were backed up with a slew of kerosene lamps.

Caustic Burno":2iodd7ub said:
True Grit Farms":2iodd7ub said:

It's not over either Grit as most generators don't produce clean electricity. Replaced several major appliances when it was over.

Our average, monthly, electric bill is in the $70.00 range. When the power has gone out, in the past, for several days at a time, it has cost us and average of $15.00 per day to run the generator, and that's not running it for 24 hrs, but running it for about 8 (total) hours. I don't remember the last time I complained about our electric bill. We have neighbors and friends whose monthly bill averages $125.00 or more.

Running a place on generators, can be costly.

Workinonit Farm":17ewzryz said:
Caustic Burno":17ewzryz said:
True Grit Farms":17ewzryz said:

Our average, monthly, electric bill is in the $70.00 range. When the power has gone out, in the past, for several days at a time, it has cost us and average of $15.00 per day to run the generator, and that's not running it for 24 hrs, but running it for about 8 (total) hours. I don't remember the last time I complained about our electric bill. We have neighbors and friends whose monthly bill averages $125.00 or more.

Your a lot better at conserving energy then we are. We're lucky if we adverage $70 a month at the barn for electric. Around $100 is our cheapest electric bill ever, if it's really cold we've had them as high as $280.

True Grit Farms":2lgcxvtm said:
Workinonit Farm":2lgcxvtm said:
Caustic Burno":2lgcxvtm said:

Your a lot better at conserving energy then we are. We're lucky if we adverage $70 a month at the barn for electric. Around $100 is our cheapest electric bill ever, if it's really cold we've had them as high as $280.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $70 electric bill! Like Grit, that's what we average at the barn. House is generally $250 and we keep the air at 78 summer, 68 winter, fireplaces, hot water, range are all on propane. We're in the process of having a whole-house generator installed and running lines to the barn.

True Grit Farms":jsv991ww said:
Workinonit Farm":jsv991ww said:
Caustic Burno":jsv991ww said:

My barn and shop average 70.00.
A 2400 square foot house averages 180.00 a month @ 76 degrees.
The house is R30 insulated .
We are on co-op power cost @ .10 kWh.

Well, for starters, this house does not have central air/heat. Heat is provided by a wood-stove. We do not have baseboard heaters. There's 1 ac unit, sticking out of a wall, 1st time we used it was summer of 2016, for about an hour. The thing is old & loud and we're too chintzy to replace it. We use fans. The range/oven are electric. There's only 1 bathroom. The water heater is, maybe, 20 gallon (its a small one). Most nights, there's only 1 light on. We've changed out a bunch of bulbs to LED's (when on sale).

Been without power since the storm and the irony of it all is my neighbor and I were talking today when the mailman pulled up and delivered our power bills. We both just laughed.

Met a guy today here in Middle Georgia that works with Oncor, out of Dallas, Texas. Said he was from Paris, Texas. He was up here with a lot of other Oncor trucks working on utility lines damaged in the storm. That's a long way from home. I guess people have responded from all over the country. I'm sure they are being compensated but it's still a big sacrifice. Thanked him for his help. And thanks to all the others. And I can't remember his name.

TCRanch":8mcxeky6 said:
True Grit Farms":8mcxeky6 said:
Workinonit Farm":8mcxeky6 said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a $70 electric bill! Like Grit, that's what we average at the barn. House is generally $250 and we keep the air at 78 summer, 68 winter, fireplaces, hot water, range are all on propane. We're in the process of having a whole-house generator installed and running lines to the barn.
the monthly electric bill at the dairy farm would scare you!

True Grit Farms":2kxoe7cw said:
Workinonit Farm":2kxoe7cw said:
Caustic Burno":2kxoe7cw said:

Huh? In Georgia?

Our power bill is about $70/month (USD) for the house and the same again for the shop.. perhaps a little more if we have the walk in cooler going (that's on the house power) and if I have some major welding project.. This month we heated the shop floor to about 120F for 10 days to dry our sunflowers on.. that'll certainly add to this bill.
No AC in the summer, wood heat in the winter.

My Aug/Sept billing cycle was 226.63, which mostly from ac use during hot days of August just for the house.... I don't have a barn to cool or heat. Prev bill was $193.20.

When Hurricane Ike wiped out all the lines between Winnie Tx and Bolivar Peninsulas, a long line of bucket trucks appeared one day. The were some outfit called BBC Electric, out of Joplin Mo.
The whole line(located on the right hand side of 124) was down. They just moved over to the other side of the road and built a whole new line all the way to the peninsula, then down the peninsula to Port Bolivar, and that side of 124 is marsh.
Pole plantin demons these guys were...they weren't playing around.

my all electric 2500 sq ft ranch with 14' ceilings this summer ran us around 100 - 130 / m with AC on. I put 2" poly iso sheets under my cool metal roof and the AC barely runs ever. Best thing I've ever done to a house.

ddd75":3bxwilh2 said:
my all electric 2500 sq ft ranch with 14' ceilings this summer ran us around 100 - 130 / m with AC on. I put 2" poly iso sheets under my cool metal roof and the AC barely runs ever. Best thing I've ever done to a house.

Cooling isn't an issue with mine, if I had to do it over it wouldn't have 18' ceilings. I know we have many more cooling days than heating. My electric bill will run close to 300.00 for a couple months in the winter. Have to run the ceiling fans to keep from burning up upstairs or freezing to death down.

Caustic Burno":yet04bgz said:
ddd75":yet04bgz said:

Cooling isn't an issue with mine, if I had to do it over it wouldn't have 18' ceilings. I know we have many more cooling days than heating. My electric bill will run close to 300.00 for a couple months in the winter. Have to run the ceiling fans to keep from burning up upstairs or freezing to death down.

Interesting. I have tall ceilings too and winter is one of the cheapest periods for my all electric house. I don't have trees around my house to block the warming sunlight, which is a triple edged sword. High cooling costs---nothing can fall on the house, but the sunlight comes in unabated in the windows.

JMJ Farms":56v211pf said:
Met a guy today here in Middle Georgia that works with Oncor, out of Dallas, Texas. Said he was from Paris, Texas. He was up here with a lot of other Oncor trucks working on utility lines damaged in the storm. That's a long way from home. I guess people have responded from all over the country. I'm sure they are being compensated but it's still a big sacrifice. Thanked him for his help. And thanks to all the others. And I can't remember his name.

My nephew is down there. He's with Oncor. A little farther west than Dallas tho

It's no wonder americans have lots of money to 'consume stuff', you pay less for everything... except health care.

I know of regular 4 person house hold bills over $1000 dollars here in the winter, for 2 month periods. No barns, no machines, just the house