Crossing creek with fence...

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Crossing creek with fence...

Postby T & B farms » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Wire some tin to those panels and they work even better. Takes very little water pressure for them to swing up. I have close to a dozen of these
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 am

T & B farms wrote:Wire some tin to those panels and they work even better. Takes very little water pressure for them to swing up. I have close to a dozen of these

I understand the theory. Although it has more to do with deflecting debris than water pressure..lol.. But I've found it doesn't work in the real world. Once the creek gets high enough the tin will cause catastrophic failure.....try to hold a piece of cattle panel in a running creek, then do the same with a piece of tin. :idea:
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am

callmefence wrote:
T & B farms wrote:Wire some tin to those panels and they work even better. Takes very little water pressure for them to swing up. I have close to a dozen of these

I understand the theory. Although it has more to do with deflecting debris than water pressure..lol.. But I've found it doesn't work in the real world. Once the creek gets high enough the tin will cause catastrophic failure.....try to hold a piece of cattle panel in a running creek, then do the same with a piece of tin. :idea:

Creeks must just be bigger in Texas :D

It works very well here, lots of brush and grass floating down the creeks. The ones with tin almost never have anything hung up in them.
I use the old style galvanized barn tin. It is much heavier than the new junk. Wire the tin to the panel in plenty of spots, more than just 4 corners like some do.
We get some crazy rains here, I’ve seen the water 6-7 feet above my cables, and yet to see the tin cause a problem.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:27 pm

T & B farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:

Creeks must just be bigger in Texas :D

It works very well here, lots of brush and grass floating down the creeks. The ones with tin almost never have anything hung up in them.
I use the old style galvanized barn tin. It is much heavier than the new junk. Wire the tin to the panel in plenty of spots, more than just 4 corners like some do.
We get some crazy rains here, I’ve seen the water 6-7 feet above my cables, and yet to see the tin cause a problem.

Dam straight.... bigger , stronger, deeper, faster....that's Simms creek right there .
Had three named storms on it last year.
:cowboy:
0 x

David Crockett

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

I had one kind of like fence describes on my old place except no cable. It was expendable more or less. Tied the outside of the panels real good to braces but where they met, just tied them loosely to where they would break and swing open completely. I had a few tpost's on the upstream side to hold them in place that were also wired with thin wire. The wire hung about 18" off the creek bed so small runoffs would not effect it.

On a big runoff the panel would swing open like saloon doors. When the water receded to about a foot deep, shut the doors back, pull the posts back up straight and retie. A 10 minute job. The current was very strong on this wash and fighting it with a permanent fence was futile. I drove by it the other day and the current owner is still using the same set up.
0 x

countryboy780
Beginner
Beginner

Postby countryboy780 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

Here in Az we have had over 40 sheep at a time and a few cows, alpacas, llamas, donkeys and dogs.
What has worked for us very well is kattle keeper. We have had to mow down some brush around our place over the years and when it rains it gets washed downstream into our watergaps. Water troughs , debris and a whole lot of other stuff has ended up on top of the kattle keepers. Much easier to clean, and our watergaps have not become dams or torn out fences. The smaller versions work great to keep our dogs in, especially the ones who love to dig under in. We also have a culvert where we have installed one over. Cleaning out plugged up culverts is the worst, it sucks, and this is the best way we have found to keep it clean. When it is all said and done. It comes down to how much time you don't have to spend cleaning your water gap.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 am

A lot of this depends on where you are located. A kattle keeper would not last past the first big rain in my area, too many trees and debris. But, I can see it's benefits in your area. But one thing I have learned from this thread is that different situations require different solutions.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:05 pm

We also have a culvert where we have installed one over. Cleaning out plugged up culverts is the worst, it sucks, and this is the best way we have found to keep it clean.

I have several 24" culverts. Best way I have found is with a can of diesel and a match if it's dry, a pitchfork if it still has water backed up on it...Ain't no good way.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:33 pm

greybeard wrote:
We also have a culvert where we have installed one over. Cleaning out plugged up culverts is the worst, it sucks, and this is the best way we have found to keep it clean.

I have several 24" culverts. Best way I have found is with a can of diesel and a match if it's dry, a pitchfork if it still has water backed up on it...Ain't no good way.

Metal or concrete maybe, but you aren’t doing that with a corrugated plastic one ;-)
0 x
Proud to be a multiplier

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 am

mostly concrete here..one is metal and one is plastic..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:28 am

greybeard wrote:

That's exactly how we clean out gaps.... Fire
0 x

David Crockett

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”