Pictures by a Shyster

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Pictures by a Shyster

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 am

Preface: I confess, in 2010 I started bringing in bovine genetics through the purchase of both open and bred cows/heifers. My breeding program is 100 % using AI stud bulls. I tried to find a way to get cows without buying them. I considered trying to build a cow, steal a cow or have wood elves magically make them appear. As a last resort, I went out and bought cattle.

Seriously, I started raising cattle at the age of 60, only 8 very short years ago. I wish I had 500 years to live. Knowing that is unlikely, I am using other folks genetics.

Here is an example of my sinful ways. I bought this cow as a bred heifer from Fire Sweep Simmental. The cow is a Fire Sweep Simmental cow.  The calf is a bull sired by HPF Optimizer.  Born 8/31/2018. 88 lb BW.
The same calf from a top view.  He is on the inside rail.
This is a view of the entire setup.  I climbed up on the alley rails this morning so you can see how I get all my calves in for a halter training session.   They stand haltered for about an hour. I then lead them one at a time back to the Dam.

Out of guilt - I did band one of my calves this morning. I banded the Broadway Bull calf that weighed 123 pounds at birth.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pictures by a Shyster

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am

You banded the one I wanted?!!?!?!

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

How am I ever going to get my weaning weights up now?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:You banded the one I wanted?!!?!?!

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

See. I am a shyster. I bet he would get your WW up but could you deal with his BWs?
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 am

Bright Raven wrote:

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

See. I am a shyster. I bet he would get your WW up but could you deal with his BWs?

Not my problem, that's up to the cows to decide.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

TT. If I sold you a breeding bull with a BW of 123 pounds, the "sanctimonious bovine moralist whiners" on CT would lynch both of us.
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

TT. If I sold you a breeding bull with a BW of 123 pounds, the "sanctimonious bovine moralist whiners" on CT would lynch both of us.

Birthweight is only one criteria to cull on. With the advancement of your culling practices in 500 years you might be a pillar in the ASA.
Fact is we all started with someone else's genetics, how many generations does it take before your cows are your genetics? I thought it was kind of shady when FSR put her brand on your bull, a bull that you produced using someone else's genetics. But I sure don't feel like it was treasonous, it's just not something that I would do.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

Birthweight is only one criteria to cull on. With the advancement of your culling practices in 500 years you might be a pillar in the ASA.
Fact is we all started with someone else's genetics, how many generations does it take before your cows are your genetics? I thought it was kind of shady when FSR put her brand on your bull, a bull that you produced using someone else's genetics. But I sure don't feel like it was treasonous, it's just not something that I would do.

That was my decision. She ask me and I said sure. Her reputation is excellent in Missouri. I hope to send some bulls out there again next fall.
Diogenes.

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:36 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

My PB Florida simms would jump the fences as soon as that bull climbed off the trailer...!! :shock:
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:40 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

GREAT! JUST GREAT!

When you take ownership of an animal and your herd is branded, you're going to brand those animals too.
The paperwork on said animal will show who the breeder, sire and dam are.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

That was my decision. She ask me and I said sure. Her reputation is excellent in Missouri. I hope to send some bulls out there again next fall.

I'm good with it, just not something I'd do. Those are nice calves, there's just to much time involved to do things like that around here. I have a life besides cows.
Last edited by True Grit Farms on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Gators Rule wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

My PB Florida simms would jump the fences as soon as that bull climbed off the trailer...!! :shock:

The shame is. He is a very stout well formed calf. Great disposition. Just a couple attractive white spots on the forehead. But at 123 pounds and the Broadway reputation....Wow. he could cause someone a disaster.
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:55 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Birthweight is only one criteria to cull on. With the advancement of your culling practices in 500 years you might be a pillar in the ASA.

I'm good with it, just not something I'd do. Those are nice calves, there's just to much time involved to do things like that around here. I have a life besides cows.

WTH would you not brand your own bull? That makes no sense to me.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

She put her brand on his bull, presumably so it would sell better? I brand using an X and the last 4 digits of the registration numbers. I really do need to start branding everything, I just don't think we've earned it yet. Branding just isn't a normal thing to do around here unless your a long time breeder or a wanna be.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:10 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'm good with it, just not something I'd do. Those are nice calves, there's just to much time involved to do things like that around here. I have a life besides cows.

She put her brand on his bull, presumably so it would sell better? I brand using an X and the last 4 digits of the registration numbers. I really do need to start branding everything, I just don't think we've earned it yet. Branding just isn't a normal thing to do around here unless your a long time breeder or a wanna be.

Branding has nothing to do with registration. It has to do with proving ownership.
Nobody around here register's cattle. Except the wannabes...lol
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'm good with it, just not something I'd do. Those are nice calves, there's just to much time involved to do things like that around here. I have a life besides cows.

First: they have the best brand I have ever seen!

Branding has nothing to do with registration. (Just making that clear. You didn't say it did but that you use your registration number in your brand). The tattoo in the ear is the only mark the ASA recognizes.
Diogenes.