eye matter

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have 2 calves that are running yellow matter at corner of their eyes. I haven't treated them with anything yet but need to treat for blackleg (7-way shot). Can I also give antibiotics (pen G) or (LA200) on the same day for the cold in their eyes when I do the blackleg? If any other suggestions i'm open for and very appreciative for the advice. Thanks.

Mine do it off and on. usually in the cooler months. I believe it is allergy related. I have never treated for it since I really wasn't sure what it was. It goes away with time, for me anyway.

Tomcolvin":3uukx4z0 said:
I have 2 calves that are running yellow matter at corner of their eyes. I haven't treated them with anything yet but need to treat for blackleg (7-way shot). Can I also give antibiotics (pen G) or (LA200) on the same day for the cold in their eyes when I do the blackleg? If any other suggestions i'm open for and very appreciative for the advice. Thanks.

You can vaccinate and administer an antibiotic on the same day. Vaccination is a totally different physiological process than treating with an antibiotic.

If the only symptom the calves display is drainage from the eye, you should not be giving an antibiotic.

Thanks guys, this makes me feel better. I get set up in a couple of weeks to do the 7 way vaccine.

Bright Raven":1fppo2bx said:
Tomcolvin":1fppo2bx said:

You can vaccinate and administer an antibiotic on the same day. Vaccination is a totally different physiological process than treating with an antibiotic.

If the only symptom the calves display is drainage from the eye, you should not be giving an antibiotic.

Ron, what if you were using a live bacterial vaccine? One that comes to mind is Brucellosis (Bangs), Is the Moraxella bovis vaccine a live one?

To the original OP, mastitis preparations containing Cloxacillin is a very usefull topical AB to use in the eye.

Ken

wbvs58":3fhbngso said:
Bright Raven":3fhbngso said:
Tomcolvin":3fhbngso said:

Ron, what if you were using a live bacterial vaccine? One that comes to mind is Brucellosis (Bangs), Is the Moraxella bovis vaccine a live one?

To the original OP, mastitis preparations containing Cloxacillin is a very usefull topical AB to use in the eye.

Ken

There would be circumstances where use of an antibiotic would interfere. The Clostridial vaccine is a killed bacteria. So not likely in that case. I am glad you mentioned this. Personally, I think in all cases you would like to obtain your immune response without interference from an antibiotic.

A thermometer is your best friend. Temp should be normal or slightly elevated dependent on stockmanship and distance to working facilities. Eye itself and animals shouldn't appear distressed e.g. coughing/wheezing. Disinfect your hands between animals.
Guidelines may have changed but it has always been my understanding and policy that giving any form of antibiotics in conjunction with a live vaccine negates or jeopardizes the latter's efficacy.

76 Bar":3edlnrb1 said:
Guidelines may have changed but it has always been my understanding and policy that giving any form of antibiotics in conjunction with a live vaccine negates or jeopardizes the latter's efficacy.

Most of the "live" vaccines are viral. Antibiotics are usually organic chemical compounds that disrupt in a predetermined manner the physiology of a bacteria - they are ineffective against viruses. In an example, if you were using Bovi-Shield Gold FP 5 which is a modified live virus preparation and at the same time injected the animal with draxxin. The efficacy of the immune response from the Bovi-shield Gold FP 5 would not be affected - I certainly may be wrong. But antibiotics against bacteria should not affect the immune response from a MLV (modified live virus) preparation.

PS: keep in mind the question was about a Clostridial 7 way vaccine. They are always killed bacteria bacterins.

wbvs58":1jwp3f7v said:
Bright Raven":1jwp3f7v said:
Tomcolvin":1jwp3f7v said:

Ken

Ken, the Moraxella bovis and M. bovoculi are killed bacteria preparations.

Bright Raven":1ayigyp2 said:
wbvs58":1ayigyp2 said:
Bright Raven":1ayigyp2 said:

Ken

Ken, the Moraxella bovis and M. bovoculi are killed bacteria preparations.

OK thanks Ron.

Ken

This can get confusing but I get the drift. Do you think I need to treat for the eye discharge or ride it out. I will be doing the 7 way in about 2 weeks ,maybe 3.

Tomcolvin":2z10tjrb said:
This can get confusing but I get the drift. Do you think I need to treat for the eye discharge or ride it out. I will be doing the 7 way in about 2 weeks ,maybe 3.

As Ken mentioned you could apply something differently in the eye. If I had that situation, I would simply flush the eye with a mild Solution of baking soda (bicarbonate of sodium). I would not use an antibiotic on that one symptom unless the calves had a high temperature.

Generally, the only problem with treating with an antibiotic and vaccinating:
You should not vaccinate unhealthy/ un-thrifty cattle if you want a good response to your vaccination.
Edit: OP, if your calves are eating good and not running a fever, I would not worry about them.
ALWAYS make sure they are SICK before treating with antibiotics. Ears drooping, poor appetite, then check for fever.

keep in mind the question was about a Clostridial 7 way vaccine. They are always killed bacteria bacterins.
Indeed & duly acknowledged. ;-) Jeannie's comments are spot on. Attempted to convey that in my earlier post.

Sorry for late response. Got sick myself with viral infection. Has to run its course. Thanks for the info this cleared up a ptomblem for me.

Latest posts