Tipping

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Tipping

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 am

Ryder wrote:Just how is 'porter' defined?
I thought the word could apply to several types and situations of workers.

A town about 15 miles south of here whose only 'claim to fame' is a Hofbrau steakhouse.

or......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksZ4Qu18kc
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 am

A guy came out and changed the 18.4-34 tires on the back of my tractor last year. One went bad (radials big knot) and the other one was in pretty good shape as it only had about 400 hrs on it. I went back with bias tires as those radials are unreal high as I could bout buy 2 bias for one of those. As he was leaving I helped him load the good tire in the back of his truck. It sure put a big smile on his face as he was a hard worker and took him less than two hours to change them out as pumping the fluid in and out is what took the time. Those radials cost around $1400 bucks a piece new.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:23 am

greybeard wrote:
Ryder wrote:Just how is 'porter' defined?
I thought the word could apply to several types and situations of workers.

A town about 15 miles south of here whose only 'claim to fame' is a Hofbrau steakhouse.

or......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bksZ4Qu18kc

Didn't know any of those steakhouses were left.
Or maybe this Porter:
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I think there's still another one left in one of the tourist trap towns near Austin or San Antonio.
I go to the one in Porter because it's never crowded (a harbinger of things to come? ) and usually on my home after a few days of eating hospital food in kingwood.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

A porter is also a person who caries supplies on a mountaineering expedition....... now you know
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm

One time at the sale barn I gave a $20 to the guy who lined up the cattle coming into the ring. My calves came through the ring real early in the sale which was worth a whole lot more than $20.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:46 pm

bird dog wrote:The last guy I tipped excluding restaurants was my tire guy and he was the owner.

Miss Manners says... It is poor etiquette to tip the owner of the business.
:tiphat:
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Yeah your probably right Butch but he is a young guy just getting started and is very anal about everything being just right.

I learned a long time ago that if you tip someone that is not used to getting a tip, that someone will remember you and do you good for as long as he is employed. Works best with people in the service trade. When I sold my ranch and moved the herd to a new place, I hired a man with a truck and trailer to help me load and move the animals. Took three trips for both of us. He charged me by the mile even with all the extra work. I tipped him about $120. To this day he remembers my name and when I see him he comes over to shake my hand. He is my go to guy if something happens and the wife has to hire someone to disperse the herd. Probably the best money I have spent.
1 x

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:Shoot... when I read the title to this post, considering it is on a cattle site, I thought the subject would include teenagers, alcohol, a neighbors pasture, and some cows... :help:

Same with me, kind of disappointed.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

melking wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote:Shoot... when I read the title to this post, considering it is on a cattle site, I thought
the subject would include teenagers, alcohol, a neighbors pasture, and some cows... :help:

Same with me, kind of disappointed.

And I thought it would be about how to cut horns diagonally to make them grow downward yet away from the face. :)
1 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Dave wrote:One time at the sale barn I gave a $20 to the guy who lined up the cattle coming into the ring. My calves came through the ring real early in the sale which was worth a whole lot more than $20.

I used to push, shove, carry, etc. the baby calves to the ring.
Hot, very hot, dirty, very dirty , hard, very hard work.
I will not say how much I was paid as the younger folks would not believe it. In fact they would laugh. But you do what you gotta do.
Had never heard of and never got a tip.

Very good health benefits. Doesn't take long to sweat the impurities out of your body if heat stroke doesn't get you first.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

slick4591 wrote:Or maybe this Porter:

That’s the Porter that came to my mind.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 am

ddd75 wrote:i did the same thing a few months back.. took a tractor tire in.. needed it done quick.. told the guy and gave him a 20..

you should of seen his face.. I came back 45 minutes later and it was sittin out front and he came running right out.. SIR SIR!!!
lol.. i know how to deal with people now :lol2:

Around here patching a tractor tire is $100 just to roll it into the shop, if it has calcium, there's another $1/gal to transfer, and with any luck they'll pinch the tube putting it back together.

tire shops here will make you go broke, they don't get tips.

If someone goes out of their way to sneak me in unscheduled, etc that deserves something. last week I was out of town when my throttle linkage broke.. with some wire I limped it to a truck shop and they welded it up for me and said "have a nice day, pay it forward"
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 am

Nesikep wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i did the same thing a few months back.. took a tractor tire in.. needed it done quick.. told the guy and gave him a 20..

you should of seen his face.. I came back 45 minutes later and it was sittin out front and he came running right out.. SIR SIR!!!
lol.. i know how to deal with people now :lol2:

Around here patching a tractor tire is $100 just to roll it into the shop, if it has calcium, there's another $1/gal to transfer, and with any luck they'll pinch the tube putting it back together.

tire shops here will make you go broke, they don't get tip"

That’s my issue with most things. The price is already high enough in a service that I have to mortgage the farm to pay for it, and then one is expected to tip on top of that? I don’t usually pay for something and feel like I robbed them.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm

I finally found a good tire machine last year for $500... sure beats doing it with crowbars.. tires swapped in about 5 minutes, no sweating and cursing, and my back thanks me for it too.. do them for the neighbors too if they need it, paid in beer usually.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”